Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW Wisconsin
    Posts
    313
    vCash
    1500

    A Way too early Rate the Packers 2014 draft- Pick by Pick

    Day 1 Pick 21 - Ha Ha Clinton Dix - Grade A Great pick fills both our top need and great value at 21.
    Day 1 Grade = A

    Day 2 Pick 53 - WR Davontae Adams - Grade B I wanted a WR here but would have taken Cody Latimer and Allen Robinson ahead of Adams. I like Adams and still like the pick and hopefully he can prove me wrong.

    Pick 85 - Khyri Thornton DT - Grade B+ Didn't know a lot about this guy prior to us making the pick, but I like what I see. Assuming the off field issues are behind him, Ted may have worked a little of his majic with this pick. Tallented player and fills a secondary need.

    Pick 98 Richard Rodgers TE - Grade D- This was a reach and most likely poor judgement. Perhaps this player will surprise us, but he would have been a reach at 121 also. There was a run on TE's and perhaps we felt we had to take one now or we wouldn't get one, but there were better options or we could have picked him at 121 or maybe even 176 or later. Only positive is it was position of need.

    Day 2 Grade C+

    Day 3 Pick 121 Carl Bradford OLB/ILB - Grade B+ Wasn't familiar with this guy, but I really like the pick. Has experience at DE, OLB and ILB which is where he will likely play for us. Decent speed, good lateral movement, lacks experince in coverage, but has the movement and flexibility to improve in coverage. Rated as the 54th best prospect on CBS Sports, Draft Prospects.

    Pick 161 Corey Linsley C - Grade B- Has experience at several off line positions, but is best suited to play Center in the NFL. Not a huge upside, but ready to be an NFL starting Center. Fills a position of need and if Tretter beats him out, we'll know he is the real deal, otherwise we go into the season with Linsley and no worries about any starters on the interior of the O-Line barring injuries.

    Pick 176 Jarred Abberderris WR - Grade A He'd have been a good pick at 121 and not a big reach at 98. Smart kid, great route runner and Rodgers will love him. Poor mans Wes Welker.

    Pick 197 Goodson CB - Grade B+ Raw but athletic, good size and speed. Excellent kick return skills. He'll make the team as a kick returner giving him a chance to develope into a serviceable CB prior to Williams and House becoming free agents in 2015.

    Pick 236 Jeff Janis WR - Grade B+ Excellent value, Well chisled frame, good size and great speed. Coming off back to back 1500 yd recieving seasons at small college Saginaw Valley. Has all the tallent to become a top tier NFL WR with coaching and experince. May have a higher upside than the previous 2 WR's selected in this draft. If all 3 of the wideouts drafted live up to expectations, you may see Boykins on the trading block to a team needing a wideout. Would have graded as an A had we not already drafted 2 Wr's.

    Day 3 Grade A- Overall draft grade B+

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,493
    vCash
    1500
    Not to be that dude but I hate draft grades and saying someone is a reach or a steal..

    Assuming a player will be somewhere 2 rounds from where they were selected is the most ridiculous thing ever. Unless you have access to everyone's draft boards it's a **** statement.

    If everyone here was a GM numerous players that went undrafted would have been selected in the 3rd round. It's humorous to me to think people that scream for these players in mid rounds who go undrafted can then turn around and tell people that player "x" was a reach or steal...

    Just my 2 cents. Not naming names just pointing out the silliness of the situation. That being said I'm extremely happy with the draft. Addressed some big positional needs and will see how it turns out. I would have liked some other players that I had targeted but I'd be lying to say if I knew they are any better than those selected! Extremely happy with Clinton-Dix though. No more gettin beat over the top hopefully. Kid can play!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    1500
    not sure about haha Clinton dix... his video is not that impressive.. jimmie ward imo gonna be better...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    241
    vCash
    1500
    not trying to be that dude but if you dont like it then dont read it. the title was clear and you have your thoughts on the matter so why would you be that dude and make a comment? sounds like something my wife would do nobody here is a GM, the draft is fun for people in different ways. just sayin.

    now, back to the OP, i thought rodgers was a decent pick up imo, he's a pretty good run blocker from what i gather. a true (old school) tight end that has the potential open some holes for lacy. id give it a C+.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    918
    vCash
    1500
    Ted doesn't reach

    How can you say Rodgers is a reach when you don't know what his board looks like? He's a reach based on what? What Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper's boards looked like?

    Gutekunst seemed like he really liked him, I'm going to take his word over yours.

    I really liked this draft, only pick I didn't really like was the HaHa pick

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
    Not to be that dude but I hate draft grades and saying someone is a reach or a steal..

    Assuming a player will be somewhere 2 rounds from where they were selected is the most ridiculous thing ever. Unless you have access to everyone's draft boards it's a **** statement.

    If everyone here was a GM numerous players that went undrafted would have been selected in the 3rd round. It's humorous to me to think people that scream for these players in mid rounds who go undrafted can then turn around and tell people that player "x" was a reach or steal...

    Just my 2 cents. Not naming names just pointing out the silliness of the situation. That being said I'm extremely happy with the draft. Addressed some big positional needs and will see how it turns out. I would have liked some other players that I had targeted but I'd be lying to say if I knew they are any better than those selected! Extremely happy with Clinton-Dix though. No more gettin beat over the top hopefully. Kid can play!
    If we would have taken Skov in the 3rd instead of Rodgers the Skov pick would have gotten at least a B grade, at the very least.

    Would be no talk about how we could have gotten him later simply because Kiper, Mcshay, and other draft experts had a mid round grade on him

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    19,955
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    Ted doesn't reach

    How can you say Rodgers is a reach when you don't know what his board looks like? He's a reach based on what? What Todd Mcshay and Mel Kiper's boards looked like?

    Gutekunst seemed like he really liked him, I'm going to take his word over yours.

    I really liked this draft, only pick I didn't really like was the HaHa pick
    Why didn't you like the HaHa pick?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Far SW Denver/SE Lakewood
    Posts
    755
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by HacksawButch View Post
    Day 1 Pick 21 - Ha Ha Clinton Dix - Grade A Great pick fills both our top need and great value at 21.
    Day 1 Grade = A

    Day 2 Pick 53 - WR Davontae Adams - Grade B I wanted a WR here but would have taken Cody Latimer and Allen Robinson ahead of Adams. I like Adams and still like the pick and hopefully he can prove me wrong.

    Pick 85 - Khyri Thornton DT - Grade B+ Didn't know a lot about this guy prior to us making the pick, but I like what I see. Assuming the off field issues are behind him, Ted may have worked a little of his majic with this pick. Tallented player and fills a secondary need.

    Pick 98 Richard Rodgers TE - Grade D- This was a reach and most likely poor judgement. Perhaps this player will surprise us, but he would have been a reach at 121 also. There was a run on TE's and perhaps we felt we had to take one now or we wouldn't get one, but there were better options or we could have picked him at 121 or maybe even 176 or later. Only positive is it was position of need.

    Day 2 Grade C+

    Day 3 Pick 121 Carl Bradford OLB/ILB - Grade B+ Wasn't familiar with this guy, but I really like the pick. Has experience at DE, OLB and ILB which is where he will likely play for us. Decent speed, good lateral movement, lacks experince in coverage, but has the movement and flexibility to improve in coverage. Rated as the 54th best prospect on CBS Sports, Draft Prospects.

    Pick 161 Corey Linsley C - Grade B- Has experience at several off line positions, but is best suited to play Center in the NFL. Not a huge upside, but ready to be an NFL starting Center. Fills a position of need and if Tretter beats him out, we'll know he is the real deal, otherwise we go into the season with Linsley and no worries about any starters on the interior of the O-Line barring injuries.

    Pick 176 Jarred Abberderris WR - Grade A He'd have been a good pick at 121 and not a big reach at 98. Smart kid, great route runner and Rodgers will love him. Poor mans Wes Welker.

    Pick 197 Goodson CB - Grade B+ Raw but athletic, good size and speed. Excellent kick return skills. He'll make the team as a kick returner giving him a chance to develope into a serviceable CB prior to Williams and House becoming free agents in 2015.

    Pick 236 Jeff Janis WR - Grade B+ Excellent value, Well chisled frame, good size and great speed. Coming off back to back 1500 yd recieving seasons at small college Saginaw Valley. Has all the tallent to become a top tier NFL WR with coaching and experince. May have a higher upside than the previous 2 WR's selected in this draft. If all 3 of the wideouts drafted live up to expectations, you may see Boykins on the trading block to a team needing a wideout. Would have graded as an A had we not already drafted 2 Wr's.

    Day 3 Grade A- Overall draft grade B+
    I agree with everything, but I would flip the grades of Rodgers and Goodson.

    Rodgers lacks the top end speed and strength of the top tier TE prospects, but makes up for it with insane agility. His 3 cone drill time blows the top tier guys out of the water. Get him on some routes that will show his agility and he will create space.

    As for Goodson, it is a very risky pick. He is a 25 year old rookie with injury issues and is extremely raw. I see nothing B+ about it.

    I was puzzled by the Thornton pick at first, but after watching some film I was kind of impressed. Sure he locks up and cannot get free and he has a tendency to stop moving his feet once locked up, but he has a pretty quick first step, above average athleticism, and very tough to move. He could be a solid NT.

    I think Bradford has the potential to be a best at ILB. I like the Adams pick, love the Abberederis pick, and very curious about the Janis pick. He has the size, speed, and strength in spades. Now he needs to work on the technical aspects of the position (route running and catching/not fighting the ball). He can become above average at the technical aspect, he will be a beast.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Why didn't you like the HaHa pick?
    I don't like him, watch the Texas A&M game and the only good play he has he gets a penalty called on him (probably no a penalty but still)

    I've said this a bunch too but his highlight video has like 4 actual highlights in a 5 minute video. I don't see any big play potential from him. I see a pretty average dude.

    Add to the fact that hes from Bama so he automatically gets overrated because they are from the best school in the nation. Except for the fact that basically everyone from Bama is extremely underwhelming when they come into the NFL.

    It could have been worse, we could have taken Mosley, but I would have much rather had Dennard at 21 than HaHa.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    19,955
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    I don't like him, watch the Texas A&M game and the only good play he has he gets a penalty called on him (probably no a penalty but still)

    I've said this a bunch too but his highlight video has like 4 actual highlights in a 5 minute video. I don't see any big play potential from him. I see a pretty average dude.

    Add to the fact that hes from Bama so he automatically gets overrated because they are from the best school in the nation. Except for the fact that basically everyone from Bama is extremely underwhelming when they come into the NFL.

    It could have been worse, we could have taken Mosley, but I would have much rather had Dennard at 21 than HaHa.
    Fair enough. A lot of players have a bad game or two so i wouldn't say the A&M game shows what he is really going to look like. I understand the Bama thing but it also has it plus side. You know Bama players are very well coached and i don't think its fair to see how other Bama players turned out and say that's how HaHa could turn out.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Fair enough. A lot of players have a bad game or two so i wouldn't say the A&M game shows what he is really going to look like. I understand the Bama thing but it also has it plus side. You know Bama players are very well coached and i don't think its fair to see how other Bama players turned out and say that's how HaHa could turn out.
    Well I just gave one example, he is pretty bad in the Georgia 2012 game, the 2012 BCS bowl game against ND, the Tennessee 2012 game, pure trash against auburn 2013.

    To me he is a cruddy version of Burnett.

    I hope I'm wrong though, I'll be rooting for him. Plus the people who picked him are a lot smarter than me, I just ain't seeing it right now.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    I don't like him, watch the Texas A&M game and the only good play he has he gets a penalty called on him (probably no a penalty but still)

    I've said this a bunch too but his highlight video has like 4 actual highlights in a 5 minute video. I don't see any big play potential from him. I see a pretty average dude.

    Add to the fact that hes from Bama so he automatically gets overrated because they are from the best school in the nation. Except for the fact that basically everyone from Bama is extremely underwhelming when they come into the NFL.

    It could have been worse, we could have taken Mosley, but I would have much rather had Dennard at 21 than HaHa.
    He was a ball hawk (always in the right place at the right time)...and Mosley, while he has an injury question to him...is a tackling machine.

    Thats not from watching highlight tapes...but from watching a ton of Bama games.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Atsugi, Japan
    Posts
    5,768
    vCash
    1500
    grades after the draft are stupid. i dont care if this offends u.

    there is a purpose to me commenting on this and its that i hope people will stop posting useless threads like this.
    the packers have so much talent...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    Anyone who uses highlight tape to judge a players opinion should he ignored

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    1500
    watching game tapes no highlights. watching jimmie ward vs haha clinton dix is night and day. jimmie ward is clearly a better player. i bet he grabs around 5 picks, 100 tackles, 20 passes defended and rookie of the yr honors. book it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •