Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Thoughts on our draft

What grade do you give it?

Honestly... I'll give it an A, I see no problems with the picks everything was exactly how I wanted it to. Love getting 2 players in the later rounds that are actually going to play. (TJ, KICKER) We hit on every pick IMO.

vCash
    Love

Ebron pick - He'll be deadly up the seam with his size and athleticism. Match up nightmare and GREAT fit for our offense. Give this pick an A-

Van Noy pick - He can do it all. Rush the passer, stop the run, and play coverage - 3 down backer. He's exactly what Austin and the rest of the staff/FO wanted this off season. Allows us to possibly give more 3-4 looks/"exotic" looks to offenses. Give this pick an A+

Reid pick - Can't say I've watched a whole lot of him, but everything I read, I love. Sounds like he's a disruptive force with great athleticism and room to grow. High upside pick and the Lions have been really good at developing those kind of guys. Give this pick an A

Solid

Swanson pick - Decent size for a center and sounds like he's football smart. Gives us our replacement for Dom and one less need we have to address. Give this pick a B

Lawson pick - Another guy I can't say I've watched a ton, but again, I love what I read. Not a big guy but based on the reports I've read, he's a good cover man that likes to get physical. Give this pick a B

Meh

Webster pick - Definitely an intriguing prospect and I do feel like the Lions will get good football out of him, but right now, he's basically just an athlete. Gonna take some molding. Give this pick a C

Jones pick - Like the player but would have preferred one of the top safeties over him. Give this pick a C

Freese pick - He's a kicker. I'm sure he'll be solid but hard to get real excited about it. Give this pick a C

Overall, I'd probably give it a B+. They got 3 right away contributors (Ebron, Van Noy, and most likely Freese) and filled a lot of their needs. Can't really complain about anything.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    I hate saying this but I kinda feel like Al Davis after a draft like this lol. Taking a lot of highly athletic guys with huge potential is a risk but the reward could be great. Unlike those Raider teams though we do have pieces in place so some of the more raw talent isn't forced to step in and play right away. We also have the right coaching staff in place imo to really bring the potential out of some of these guys. I'm happy with pretty much every pick taken this year. The Lawson pick isn't won I'm fond of right now as better players were available but I'll trust Austin knows what to look for in a good corner. I'll give it a solid B+/A-.

Catches: 14 Yards: 125 TDs: 1

vCash
    I think we had a lot of guys the FO really wanted, go right before our picks. It happened in 1,3 & 4. To their credit, the FO was extremely well prepared and made some great picks. Instead of getting left scrambling for a plan D, we had extremely solid picks ready to go every round.

STAFFORD THE LEADER

Sliding a yard short on 4th down because he's too afraid to take a hit.

vCash
    Not in love with Webster or Freese, but I think this was another great draft.

Think about our ****** team down the stretch last year, but add Ebron, Van Noy, Jones, Lawson & Tate. We got a lot better this offseason.

STAFFORD THE LEADER

Sliding a yard short on 4th down because he's too afraid to take a hit.

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    Well Im glad we got players at positions that we needed. Wish we would have snagged a quarterback. Not too happy with the height of the cornerback but I'll give this group a chance. My grade is a B-
    [URL=http://gifsoup.com]GIFSoup

Kingwood A Man Before His Time Dvd in Stores

vCash
    TJ jones was a steal, he is probably the best route runner in the draft, has glue for hands, and is downright quick. Love that pick. Reid was a great pick, he fits the mold of fairley but actually tries. And with his nfl ready body he should be able to crack em rotation early and may push fairley to a degree. Webster was a monster a year ago and hadn't played ball since high school. Add in he's a basketball player. At 6'6 265 we got another big bodies athletic DE which is great to have. Especially considering we only have Ansah Taylor and jones signed going forward. This makes our DL young and deep.

I know nothing of freeze and Lawson. When I read about Lawson, it makes me think poor mans Tyran Mathieu. And his consistenty at Utah state is a good sign, he's not just merely a project coming in. There's a skill set to work with.

Love Ebron, love van noy, and the Swanson pick was solid. Not in love or against that pick. What u call and ugly pick.

I give it and A off rip, you can give a new score in 3 years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwood313 View Post
    Well Im glad we got players at positions that we needed. Wish we would have snagged a quarterback. Not too happy with the height of the cornerback but I'll give this group a chance. My grade is a B-
    We signed James Franklin as a UDFA to play quarterback.

vCash
    like it alot.. the tj jones might be my fav pick. .

he should floresh with CJ tate
    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

2014 AAL Kyle Van Noy

0 tackles 0 sacks 0 interceptions

vCash
    Can't complain. We addressed a lot of needs. We'll see how it all pans out this year. One thing I am expecting is a top 3 offense. If we don't get that, then I guess the offseason was sorta bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwood313:28475178
    really iant that short for a CB
    2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

2014 AAL Kyle Van Noy

0 tackles 0 sacks 0 interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Love

Ebron pick - He'll be deadly up the seam with his size and athleticism. Match up nightmare and GREAT fit for our offense. Give this pick an A-

Van Noy pick - He can do it all. Rush the passer, stop the run, and play coverage - 3 down backer. He's exactly what Austin and the rest of the staff/FO wanted this off season. Allows us to possibly give more 3-4 looks/"exotic" looks to offenses. Give this pick an A+

Reid pick - Can't say I've watched a whole lot of him, but everything I read, I love. Sounds like he's a disruptive force with great athleticism and room to grow. High upside pick and the Lions have been really good at developing those kind of guys. Give this pick an A

Solid

Swanson pick - Decent size for a center and sounds like he's football smart. Gives us our replacement for Dom and one less need we have to address. Give this pick a B

Lawson pick - Another guy I can't say I've watched a ton, but again, I love what I read. Not a big guy but based on the reports I've read, he's a good cover man that likes to get physical. Give this pick a B

Meh

Webster pick - Definitely an intriguing prospect and I do feel like the Lions will get good football out of him, but right now, he's basically just an athlete. Gonna take some molding. Give this pick a C

Jones pick - Like the player but would have preferred one of the top safeties over him. Give this pick a C

Freese pick - He's a kicker. I'm sure he'll be solid but hard to get real excited about it. Give this pick a C

Overall, I'd probably give it a B+. They got 3 right away contributors (Ebron, Van Noy, and most likely Freese) and filled a lot of their needs. Can't really complain about anything.
    I tend to judge a draft based on the first three or four rounds.

Ebron is a offensive weapon and the Lions wanted one badly. Van Noy filled a defensive need with a very solid pick. Van Noy could have even gone 5 or 10 picks early. I give both B+. Both very good prospects at their slots and filled real needs.

Swanson: Fills a need. Don't know who is the best center, Marcus Martin, Richburg (sp) or Swanson. That said, I would like to have seen the Lions trade up to get Marcus Martin. Might have cost us our fifth rounder (that we acquired) but a fifth rounder is a trade chip to me.

Filled three needs with the top three picks equals a B+ in my book.

I tend to reserve "A" type grades for teams which had multiple high first round picks and selected wisely (e.g., Rams; I love their top picks) or who drafted extremely well, despite drafting late in rounds (e.g., SF: Ward, Hyde and Joyner).

The joke on the NFL Network yesterday was that the only way to get a "C" grade was to pass on all our your draft picks. Grade flation was alive and flourishing yesterday over there.
    Last edited by emu_steve; 05-11-2014 at 08:08 AM.

vCash
    Overall it was a solid draft...to be completely honest, after the 3rd round I never heard of any of these guys, but what I read about Webster, Jones, and Lawson I like. All athletic and physical on the field...I think most of you guys are underrating the K we selected, we freaking had David Akers who choked when we need him most hopefully this kid makes us solid at K for the next 20yrs like Hanson.

Overall Grade: B

#HandItOnly2Bell

vCash
    C+, Princeton DT is a nice project. Picking a TE (with the 10 pick)while re-signing Pettigrew and seeing how good Furia was last year makes no sense. I understand their position, completely disagree with it. We traded up to get Van Noy, why, there were many good players still there. Then we take a C who is only average at best in the third? This front office is a joke, complete blind fools. I'm just hoping they know something I don't. And don't all u kook-aid drinkers talk smack, every year you all are wowed by our picks and every year this team is sub-par to bad. If you like these picks, go back to last year and the year before and see the koolaid u all spread. Tari flipping Whitehead.

If the Lions had actually needed a TE I would grade that pick an A, but when you look at our tight cap and what we have now it is a disgrace. Please trade Petigrew! And get a 6th next year for him u bums! Sarcasm
    "If a, would a, could a, should a, Lived on Maybe street, the street that never was"....Rad Alger

vCash

Thoughts on our draft

He's going to play WR most of the time... Lol

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast