Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

BUCS: UDFA signings

Wyoming QB Brett Smith is one of 11 undrafted players the Buccaneers netted over the weekend

- Tampa native Matt Patchan returns to his home town to start his NFL career after standing out at Boston College

- Some of the most productive players in franchise history, such as Earnest Graham and Shelton Quarles, started as UDFAs

The next Earnest Graham, Karl Williams or Shelton Quarles could be taking the field for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this weekend.

In the frenzied hours that followed the last pick of the draft on Saturday evening, with all 32 teams working the phones and hundreds of still-coveted prospects still looking for NFL homes, the Buccaneers added 11 more players to their 2014 rookie haul. On Monday, the team released the list of those undrafted free agent signings, which includes Wyoming quarterback Brett Smith and Boston College tackle Matt Patchan. It's likely that a few more names will be added to the list in the coming days.

The Bucs have been adding players to their 90-man offseason roster throughout the spring but haven't had to trim any names for some team. With all the weekend additions, however, the roster reached capacity, necessitating the release of three players: fullback Josh Baker, cornerback Bobby Felder and tight end Steve Maneri. Baker and Maneri were signed earlier this offseason; Felder joined the Bucs as a waiver claim during the middle of the 2013 campaign.

Smith, Patchan and the rest will try to follow in the footsteps of Graham and Williams, players who first arrived in Tampa as undrafted free agents (UDFAs) and went on to long and successful careers with the Buccaneers. Some of the most accomplished players in team history, including Quarles, tackle Donald Penn and Cecil Johnson entered the league as UDFAs, albeit not necessarily with the Buccaneers first. The NFL as a whole has seen countless players forge outstanding playing careers after being passed over in the draft, from John Randle to Warren Moon to Priest Holmes.

Of course, the first order of business for Smith and his fellow UDFAs is turning their opportunities in Tampa into a spot on the 53-man roster in September. Those efforts begin this weekend when the Buccaneers hold their annual post-draft rookie mini-camp. The players signed after the draft will join Tampa Bay's six draftees, a handful of first-year holdovers from the 2013 roster and a couple dozen additional rookies participating on tryout contracts for three days of practice, Friday through Sunday.

Here's the complete list of the Buccaneers' UDFA signings to this point:

Solomon Patton, WR, Florida
    Keith Lewis, CB, Virginia-Lynchburg
    Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming
    Josh Allen, C, Louisiana-Monroe
    Nate Askew, LB, Texas A&M
    Chaz Sutton, DE, South Carolina
    Aaron Burks, WR, Boise State
    Andrew Miller, G/C, Virginia Tech
    Matt Patchan, OT, Boston College
    Euclid Cummings, DT, Georgia Tech
    Mycal Swaim, S, Eastern Michigan

(Brett) Smith will have at least one familiar target to throw to during the rookie camp, as the Buccaneers used their sixth-round pick on his Wyoming teammate, wide receiver Robert Herron. The two were a prolific pair last fall, as Smith completed 293 of 467 passes (62.7%) for 3,375 yards, 29 touchdowns and 11 interceptions; with Herron on the receiving end of 75 of those throws. Smith, who started 35 games and threw for 8,834 yards and 76 touchdowns over three seasons in Laramie, will get plenty of work this weekend. The Bucs are likely to add at least one more quarterback on a tryout contract before Friday, but veterans Josh McCown, Mike Glennon and Mike Kafka are not eligible to participate.

Wyoming QB Brett Smith completed 75 passes to new Bucs teammate Robert Herron last year

Patchan, a former All-American at Armwood High School, will return home to start his NFL career. He originally went to the University of Florida as a defensive linemen but converted to tackle and started for most of one season before transferring to Boston College. With the Eagles, Patchan started all 13 games at right tackle as a senior in 2013, earning second-team All-ACC honors.

Askew is the sort of developmental prospect that often has to start as an undrafted free agent but has the potential to establish himself with further coaching, a la Demar Dotson, the Buccaneers' starting right tackle who mostly played basketball in college. A receiver during his first three seasons at Texas A&M, the 6-4, 235-pound Askew converted to defense for his last year in College Station. He played in 12 games and started two as a linebacker in 2013, notching 33 tackles and two interceptions.

Like Patchan, Allen and Miller likely saw an opportunity to stick on a Buccaneer offensive line corps that has had an enormous amount of turnover this spring. The team did spend two fifth-round picks on linemen Kadeem Edwards and Kevin Pamphile, but there should be stiff competition for the two starting guard spots and the three or four reserve positions. The 6-3, 315-pound Allen was a four-year starter at ULM, opening games at both center and guard. Miller (6-4, 296) also logged starts at both center and guard over the course of his final three seasons at Virginia Tech, earning second-team All-ACC honors from the conference's coaches.

The D-Line also got a couple additions after the draft in South Carolina end Chaz Sutton and Georgia Tech tackle Euclid Cummings. Sutton played in 48 games over five seasons for the Gamecocks but didn't become a full-time starter until last year, when he contributed a career-high 32 tackles, three sacks and 8.5 stops for loss. Cummings followed a similar path, rising to full-time starter last year and racking up 37 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 5.5 tackles for loss.

Burks (6-3, 205) and Patton (5-9, 169) were the third and fourth receivers added to the Bucs' mix over the weekend, as the team used its first-round pick on Texas A&M's Mike Evans before finishing their six-man class with Herron. Burks caught a total of 47 passes over four seasons at Boise State but showed big-play potential, especially in his last two years as he averaged 17.9 yards per catch. Patton has speed to burn, reportedly clocking a 4.31 at Florida's Pro Day, and also has kick return experience. He did most of his damage as a senior, catching 44 of his 52 career passes and setting a Gator school record with an average of 29.2 yards per kickoff return.

Like a number of the players who were seeking NFL starting spots after the draft, (Keith) Lewis is a small-school prospect, having played his football at Virginia University of Lynchburg, which is part of the 86-school United States Collegiate Athletic Association. Lewis, in fact, is seeking to become the first Lynchburg product to play in the NFL. He and Eastern Michigan's (Mycal) Swaim will compete for spots in the Buccaneer secondary; in 12 games last fall Swaim racked up 81 tackles, one interception and 1.5 tackles for loss.
    via Buccaneers.com

These guys here below were reportedly brought in for try out purposes.

Jeremy Smith, RB, Oklahoma State
    Toney Hurd Jr., DB, Texas A&M
    Steven Jenkins, LB, Texas A&M
    Chris Burnette, G/C, Georgia
    Kenarious Gates, OG, Georgia
    Ryne Giddins, DE, USF
    Bar'ee Boyd, LB, Western Kentucky
    JaQuez Jenkins, S, USF
    Mark Joyce, S, USF
    Brendon Bigelow, RB, California
    Mike Marry, LB, Mississippi
    Kirby Van Der Kamp, P, Iowa State
    Dylan Lynch, P, Jacksonville
    Gavin Ellis, TE, Jacksonville State
    Galen Clemons, DT, Massachusetts
    Last edited by bucc4life; 05-14-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: updated.

vCash
    Info on Brett Smith:

Buccaneers signed Wyoming QB Brett Smith.
    Smith (6-foot-2 1/8, 206) made 35 starts for the Cowboys, recording a 17-18 record with a 76:28 TD-to-INT ratio and 62.0 completion rate. He added 20 rushing scores, averaging 4.05 yards per carry. Smith ran a 4.51 forty at his Pro Day with an explosive 10-foot-8 broad jump. An outstanding athlete for the position, Smith has ideal hand size (10") and plus short to intermediate accuracy. He's a complete project from a mechanical standpoint, having spent his entire college career in the shotgun behind a leaky line, and needs to add strength in an NFL conditioning program. He's a long shot, albeit with intriguing all-purpose tools.

vCash
    Ryne Giddens had massive potential coming out of HS. Maybe there is some salvaging there.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    A few names I am interested in are:

Brandon Coleman WR - Shocked he wasn't drafted

Colt Lyerla TE - I thought he was a top 5 TE

Anthony Steen OG - I think he can compete at the Guard slot, especially cause we are unsure of what Nicks situation is

Tyler Larsen - OG/C - Compete at Guard or atleast give us a back up center
    Christian Jones LB - Would be nice for LB depth

Deandre Coleman and Viliami Moala - 2 DT's from the Univeristy of California. Like their ability to play the Nose

Lucheiz Purifoy
    Marcus Robinson - These three Corners are not needed but still have talent.
    Kameron Jackson

Taylor Martinez - More for his speed and possibility of moving to WR

Tyker Russell QB - Not sure why, but i just been keeping an eye on him for a few weeks now.

vCash
    I knew Brett Smith was gonna be a Buc for like a week now for some reason. No clue why, but I knew we would grab him.

vCash
    Solomon Patton
    At 5'8", 179 pounds, Solomon Patton is an undersized but speedy receiver who was highly recruited out of the state of Alabama and ended up in Gainesville.

A team captain, Patton was the Gators' leading receiver last season, hauling in 44 passes for 556 yards and six touchdowns.

The Bucs want to add speed to their new offense under coordinator Jeff Tedford, and Patton ran a 4.31 40-yard dash at Florida's pro day. He'll likely be given an opportunity to stick on the roster as a slot receiver.
    Brett Smith
    The Bucs drafted Wyoming WR Robert Herron in the sixth round, and it looks like his Cowboy quarterback will be following him to Tampa Bay.

At 6'1", 205 pounds, Smith lacks prototypical size for the position, but he makes up for it in many other areas. He's an above-average athlete who impressed scouts with an outstanding pro day after being a surprising combine snub.

Despite leaving school a year early, Smith owns multiple Wyoming records, having scored 97 total touchdowns during his career with the Cowboys.

A fiery leader whose playing style reminds some of Johnny Manziel, Smith's solid work ethic, confidence and overall passion for the game will score big with the Bucs' coaching staff.
    Andrew Miller
    Adding depth on the offensive line is vital, especially with versatile blockers who can play multiple positions. The Bucs have gotten just that in Virginia Tech's Andrew Miller.

A second-team All-ACC pick in 2013, Miller has experience at both guard and center. The 6'4", 310-pound senior was named ACC Lineman of the Week after registering 20 knockdown blocks in a 16-6 win over in-state rival Virginia.

Tampa Bay suffered through multiple injuries up front last season, and their lack of depth was exposed. Miller's versatility will be an attractive trait to the Bucs' new coaching staff.
    Toney Hurd Jr.
    Buccaneer first-round pick Mike Evans will also have a familiar face joining him in Tampa, as Texas A&M DB Toney Hurd, Jr. will join the Bucs as an undrafted free agent.

A team captain, Hurd made six starts in 2013, Hurd recorded 61 tackles and a pair of sacks for the Aggies. Hurd was a three-year letterman at Texas A&M majoring in Economics, and chose to join the Aggies over programs like Auburn, Notre Dame and Oregon.

The 5'9", 185-pound senior could have a chance to stick in Tampa Bay as a nickel corner.
    Josh Allen
    The Bucs continue to add interior lineman, this time snatching up Lousiana-Monroe's Josh Allen.

Another versatile player who has experience at multiple spots on the line, the 2013 first-team All-Sun Belt pick can player either guard or center. At 6'3", 312 pounds, Allen helped anchor an offense that gained over 350 yards in four of the Warhawks' seven conference games last season.

After waiting to address the offensive line until late in the draft, the Bucs are loading up on blockers in the undrafted free agency period.
    Link: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...r-every-signee

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Loving the Brett Smith, Matt Patchan and Euclid Cummings signings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I-4_Fan View Post
    I knew Brett Smith was gonna be a Buc for like a week now for some reason. No clue why, but I knew we would grab him.
    Marcus Arroyo connection, maybe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdubbz View Post
    Ryne Giddens had massive potential coming out of HS. Maybe there is some salvaging there.
    Found this on Giddens, G. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/1...-interview-usf

vCash
    Patton, smith, and sutton, I'm excited about .....I can imagine we will see them on the field in the fall and Sutton had a good pro day too....He ran bag drills and coverage drills better than Clowney

vCash
    We got some very promising rookies coming to try out for our BUCS this weekend.

I hope to see Kirby Van Der Kamp earn a contract so he can get a chance to take over the punting duties and kick the overpaid Michael Koenen to the curb in the process. He was considered by many out there as the top prospect at his position. I also like Toney Hurd as a Nickel Corner prospect, hopefully those two guys get added to the 12 UDFA we signed so far.

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBucMayhem View Post
    Patton, smith, and sutton, I'm excited about .....I can imagine we will see them on the field in the fall and Sutton had a good pro day too....He ran bag drills and coverage drills better than Clowney
    Crazy that Victor Hampton still out there in free agency, not getting any invites.. Character issues must be that bad if teams are shying away from his talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucc4life View Post
    We got some very promising rookies coming to try out for our BUCS this weekend.

I hope to see Kirby Van Der Kamp earn a contract so he can get a chance to take over the punting duties and kick the overpaid Michael Koenen to the curb in the process. He was considered by many out there as the top prospect at his position. I also like Toney Hurd as a Nickel Corner prospect, hopefully those two guys get added to the 12 UDFA we signed so far.

Yea Koenen needs to go. Last year he was bout the 10th or so best punter and hes being paid as the #1 for 2014?? It’s not even like it really mattered last year anyway so why not take whoever this year bc we will have a better defense.

I know that field position is crucial in football but if he is not the #1 punter then i could care less about over paying a punter who is average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucc4life View Post
    Good read.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    BUCS added a 13th undrafted signee in Cal RB Brendan Bigelow, that puts the roster at its limit of 90 players.

Check him out on this play

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/13...bigelow-td.gif

So that's 19 signed rookies and over 20 try out contracts that were given out.. Our BUCS putting in work for tomorrow's rookie mini camp.

Hopefully we find a few diamonds in the rough!
    Last edited by bucc4life; 05-15-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast