Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cowboy's Drafting Methods

Alright Cowboy Fans, so for the past few years we've actually been getting some good guys in the first 3 rounds, which for some years we couldn't say. I think our drafting in the JJ era has actually gotten a lot better recently. JJ always gets bashed for going for big names, passing on great players because of a few issues, and not listening to the scouts/not following the draft board, but he's been improving. We've seen Dez, Tyron, Claiborne (think he's gonna break out), and Travis Fredrick who have all been panning out or have been the #1 player we could have at a needed position (Claiborne) being drafted. The one thing I don't understand is the Cowboys drafting in the 4-7 rounds. It seems like every year in the past 5 years (including this year) we've had great 1st round picks, some great 2nd round picks, and 2 big contributors on our offense in the 3rd round. But after those 3 rounds when I'm really liking our draft, we always have to reach for a player that would have gone unsigned or we could have drafted later. Sometimes these moves pan out, but we still could have gotten the same players, plus a better player if we would have drafted them in the correct round. I always end up scratching my head in a lot of these rounds.

Can someone give me some justifications of why we always reach on players, such as we really wanted them and rumors were a team drafting 5 behind us was gonna snag them so we took them. What has JJ given as explanations for not waiting till another round to take them, or why we didn't draft the better rated player (EX: when we drafted matt johnson who wasn't supposed to be drafted, I remember there being a bunch of safeties left that had a round 3 grade)? Also what have JJ explanations been for giving up way to much in trades, this year we gave up a 3rd to move up 10 spots in the second round (I loved the pick, just think we really needed that 3rd to get a sold DL), when people are trading 3rds and maybe a 7th to move up the same in the 1st round? I love my Cowboys and I love how successful our recent drafts have been, I just want us to take one more step to really have successful drafts like the Pats or Seahawks. I loved our draft, we addressed every need. Go Cowboys!
    Last edited by trae31; 05-10-2014 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    I need some paragraphs/page breaks.

vCash
    Fixed it.

vCash
    Thanks...IDK what to tell you; there are scouts that are getting paid to do it for a living. They have grades based on their own analysis of the player. We will just have to sit and wait to see how it all pans out.

vCash
    At the end of the day, I am assuming our front office feels comfortable with our FA's in Melton and the 2 other DL we signed, not to mention Crawford and Spence returning from injury as well as LBs that we have already drafted in Wilber and Hollo.

vCash
    The problem has been a lack of depth which is part drafting in the later rounds and part cap management/overpaying and especially overpaying aging players. I don't know how this draft will shake out but I thought we got a great RG for the future and a great RDE for the next 5-10 years and possibly a darn good WR although I wonder if we needed to trade up to get him.

A minor issue we still seem to have is trading on draft day. Maybe someone remembers, but I don't recall a draft day trade recently where we came out on top at least from a points perspective whether we were trading down or trading up. It's a minor issue on a trade by trade basis, but over time what trading partner is going to ever give up points to do a trade with Dallas in any draft day trade with that kind of track record?

I give this draft a solid B. I don't know about the kid from Iowa other than the stats suggest he is a player and his scouting report suggests he could fit in nicely with our defense in a few years time.

As for last years draft, I think if Wilcox steps into his own then that draft makes it an A. Williams could prove big this year too on offense. The Oline looks great. As for Claiborne, I think injuries have played a role in his underwhelming play to date, but equally responsible if not more has been the coaching/coordinator changes that were almost playing directly against Claiborne's strengths. Maye this is the year he turns it around, but it's sort of doubtful. It won't help if we can't step things up at the line of scrimmage and get to the QB.

We still need a great draft next year and to get lucky in FA next year before we can even think about saying hello to a new championship era of Cowboys football.

vCash
    I think the main question right now is do you like the defense coming into training camp? I can't say I hate it. Im not sure how much I trust it right now. Too many variables. Claiborne, Crawford, Melton Knee, Spencers Knee, how the rookies will do, will Selvie continue to shine, . If your telling me the two knee and 1 heel injury are healed and we hit on just 2 pass rushers from the draft Ill take that for now. Our secondary will be better in their second year out of the 3-4. I would go out on a limb and say the defense may be serviceable enough to compete for the division. They did it last year and I like this unit more.

vCash
    I think health will be key. Will Crawford, spencer, melton be 100% ? Can lee play a whole year? Will someone else get hurt?

If we can stay healthy, I think we will easily be ok.

I mean with one of the all time worse defense last year, we were in 1 game of winning the division. and if romo wasn't hurt, I think we win that game, and the division, with that horrible defense.

not much, perhaps a morale victory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz:28485942
    I think health will be key. Will Crawford, spencer, melton be 100% ? Can lee play a whole year? Will someone else get hurt?

If we can stay healthy, I think we will easily be ok.

I mean with one of the all time worse defense last year, we were in 1 game of winning the division. and if romo wasn't hurt, I think we win that game, and the division, with that horrible defense.

not much, perhaps a morale victory.
    I thought your first line said "heath will be key". I was gonna say, if he's the key then we're doomed.

vCash
    LOL thats what I thought I read at first. Hopefully Heath never touches the field again in a cowboy uniform unless its on special teams or to hand the other players ice cold water
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    LOL thats what I thought I read at first. Hopefully Heath never touches the field again in a cowboy uniform unless its on special teams or to hand the other players ice cold water
    what did you think of the draft blacknell? you like the Demarcus pick? where you overall happy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    what did you think of the draft blacknell? you like the Demarcus pick? where you overall happy?
    I gave our draft a B- because we didn't grab any star power but got tons of depth, so now bums off the street won't be playing for us. I didn't care for the martin pick because I didn't see O-Line as a problem but it was still solid pick overall, atleast he is a starter.

The lawerence pick I think we gave up to much especially if he isn't a day one starter with great pass rushing ability because we could have grabbed another DE and a DT the next round. I hated the Hitchens pick because he was graded as a 7th round pick and its not like he is a freakish athlete
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    The key will be what Rawz stated earlier, The health of our D-line. Spencer had micro-fracture surgery, Melton, ACL, and If I remember correctly Crawford was Achilles tendon. It's going to be hard for us to depend on these guys playing at a very high level. I think as long as they're playing well and peaking by the end of the season we'll be alright but it's going to take these guys a while to get back into football shape. They need contact out on that field and some games under their belt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbig21 View Post
    Thanks...IDK what to tell you; there are scouts that are getting paid to do it for a living. They have grades based on their own analysis of the player. We will just have to sit and wait to see how it all pans out.
    This. It all just depends on the scouts they have and how those scouts grade people out. They were talking about it on the cowboys draft show regarding the Anthony hitchens pick, bryan broaddus and Dane brugler who is a draft guy for CBS said they graded hitchens as a 6-7 pick but the cowboys had him as a 4 and took him there. But we won't know who was right for 2-3 years so we just have to let it play out. But in my opinion they took him because he can play mike and they don't trust Sean lee staying healthy