4 50.00%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
    vCash

Round 4, Pick #133: CB Nevin Lawson

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Muscular build with nice arm length. Plays with his eyes. Reads and reacts quickly. Has skills to man up receivers. Soft-footed with flexible hips to pedal easily and transition smoothly. Good zone awareness and reactions. Productive on the ball. Effective blitzer. Has special-teams experience as a gunner and jammer. Durable three-year starter. Has matured and taken a more professional approach as an upperclassman.

WEAKNESSES Press technique needs refinement. Too often allows free release. Clutching, grabbing and incurring flags have been issues in the past. Ball skills are a work in progress. Leaves some production on the field. Inconsistent run supporter. Struggled to contain USC WR Marqise Lee.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-Priority free agent

BOTTOM LINE Adequate-sized, talented, inconsistent cornerback with moldable tools and scheme versatility, though he requires polish and patience.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...son?id=2543872

vCash
    Gonna be a ProBowler. I think he might be my adopt a Lions this year. Gonna pass on Reggie Fumbles
    dont have a seizure cwick

vCash
    Jeff Risdon likes this pick:

The first pick is Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson with the 133rd overall pick in the fourth round. This is a fantastic pick.

Lawson is a slot corner, but what makes him a great pick is that he’s already played in the slot. Most times, the slot corner is a guy who played outside in college but has to learn how to play inside. Not Lawson.

It sets up an interesting competition with Bill Bentley. Lawson is a more natural cover man, though like Bentley he can be grabby. Both are aggressive against the run, though Lawson rates as a more effective tackler in my book.

Here’s my scouting report on Lawson, where I gave him a late 2nd/early 3rd round rating.

To reinforce that, here’s my skinny scouting report from ******.com:

Notes: Cat-quick ballhawk with long arms and excellent burst in any direction. Steadily improved his route recognition and technique thru his four years, shows savvy and coachability. Productive with 24 PDs and 9 TFLs in ‘12/13. Stood out in both Shrine and Senior Bowl weeks for his quickness and ball skills, although he doesn’t catch well. Ideal slot corner with rare experience pressing and blitzing from there already.
    http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/201...r-caraun-reid/

Born & Raised in Michigan but now in Columbus Ohio
    vCash
    He short but I guess we will see
    [URL=http://gifsoup.com]GIFSoup

Kingwood A Man Before His Time Dvd in Stores

vCash
    We'll good for us he won't be asked to step on the field and produce right away. I'm not too much of a fan on this but I'll defer to Mayhew, Austin, and Xanders on this. They know what talent it.

vCash
    Highlight video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmpSCdB9XNY

Put this guy on Randell Cobb. Have him follow Cobb around the field and blast him every chance he gets.
    Last edited by ****ed in DET; 05-11-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Fish Pasty

vCash
    I like what I read so far. I guess I thought we had enough unproven DB's on the roster.
    Much like LFLOL, I defer to the Lions brass.

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Highlight video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmpSCdB9XNY

Put this guy on Randell Cobb. Have him follow Cobb around the field and blast him every chance he gets.
    Looks like a feisty little ****er. We need that.

vCash
    This is actually my favorite pick of the draft (after Van Noy). This dude looks like a feisty mother ****er....very physical. I like Bentley but at this point he has trouble staying healthy. Bringing in another slot corner to push him sounds like a good move to me. I don't care about his height. There are plenty of short corners who succeed in the league and playing the slot he'll face mostly short dudes anyways. There was a 1st round CB this year that went in the 1st round to SD who is shorter than this guy.

No idea if he's going to work out or be good or not obviously...but I like his playing style. Reminds me of Antoine Winfield.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    I agree with most on here...wasn't expecting him to be the corner we drafted, but am happy to have a scrappy guy like him on the roster. And I love the idea of sticking him on whichever little speedster offenses throw at us, and letting him beat the crap out of them.

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Just caught that he was projected to go in the 7th... Our DC must have found something he liked

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    This is actually my favorite pick of the draft (after Van Noy). This dude looks like a feisty mother ****er....very physical. I like Bentley but at this point he has trouble staying healthy. Bringing in another slot corner to push him sounds like a good move to me. I don't care about his height. There are plenty of short corners who succeed in the league and playing the slot he'll face mostly short dudes anyways. There was a 1st round CB this year that went in the 1st round to SD who is shorter than this guy.

No idea if he's going to work out or be good or not obviously...but I like his playing style. Reminds me of Antoine Winfield.

I only remember Bentley getting hurt when Delmas knocked him out cold..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    I only remember Bentley getting hurt when Delmas knocked him out cold..
    got injured his rookie year too
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley