Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

6th Round: Bears choose P Pat O'Donnell (191)

Fales:

STRENGTHS: Quick-footed in his drops with an excellent feel in the pocket to step up and maneuver while keeping his eyes downfield. smart pre-snap reads and understands exactly where he wants to go with the ball, using his above average peripheral vision.
    Good footwork and his bottom half always appears in sync with what's going on above the waist. Quick eyes and sees the field well to work through his progressions and always know where his targets are supposed to be. Balanced passer with a quick set-up and a snap delivery. Good (not great) arm strength who understands touch, knowing when to add juice to his throws and when to take some off. Poised in the pocket with a fearless attitude and accurate sense of what's going on around him. hangs tough and never gives up on plays.

Adequate build with very good toughness, bouncing up after hits. Enough mobility to scramble and won't avoid contact as a runner. Gutsy and not afraid to take chances. Terrific accuracy (72.5% completions in 2012) and gives his target a chance to make a play. Always appears calm, collected and in control of the offense. selfless personality with the preparation habits needed for the next level.

Ambitious and coachable with a strong work ethic. Confident and persistent. versatile experience under center and in pistol and shotgun formations.

WEAKNESSES: Athletic, but only average speed and can be caught from behind by defenders. Lacks elite arm strength and struggles to drive the ball on throws of 15+ yards. too many rainbows and not enough lasers, causing underthrown deep balls and allowing defenders to react and make a play on the ball.

Bad habit of throwing off-balance, causing his ball placement to waver. Overconfident and too willing to throw into coverage and take chances, especially under duress. Only average height and lacks elite size for the position. Will predetermine passes at times and lock onto targets, even when covered. Room to improve his ball security when scrambling. plays rushed at times.

Will have only two years of experience at the FBS-level.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...45/david-fales

O'Donnell:

STRENGTHS: Built like a tight end with good bulk packed on his frame. Terrific athlete as a former soccer star with gliding speed to cover a large area with the willingness to finish tackles on special teams coverage. Devoted to his craft and prepares like a pro. Long, swift leg motions to generate power from his movements to boom the ball off his foot. Handled kickoff duties at Cincinnati and Miami. Was an All-Conference player each of the last three seasons. Good experience kicking in all types of weather.

WEAKNESSES: Has room to quicken his timing from snap to punt, especially when he knows the rush is coming. Directional punting is okay, but not a strength for him. No experience as a field goal kicker.
    PLAYER OVERVIEW

O?Donnell became the starting punter for the Cincinnati Bearcats as a sophomore and earned First Team All-Big East honors as a junior averaging 43.8 yards per punt and was a Ray Guy Finalist. He was a Second Team All-Big East performer as a senior and graduated with a degree in organizational leadership, but still had one year of eligibility remaining and was able to transfer to Miami per NCAA rules, the team he grew up rooting for as a kid. O'Donnell averaged 47.1 yards per punt in 2013 with the Hurricanes with almost half of his punts traveling over 50 yards, earning First Team All-ACC honors.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...6/pat-odonnell

#VoteRizzo... or else

vCash
    We'll use this thread for Pat and the other for Fales.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Best pick of the draft.

Chicago Bears Mock Offseason Champion

vCash

6th Round: Bears choose QB David Fales (183) and P Pat O'Donnell (191)

Don't like using pick on a punter, but he's pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
    Don't like using pick on a punter, but he's pretty good.
    We needed one

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    My 2nd favorite Punter,

still my favorite was Brian Schmiedebusch because he played LB prior to being a P, a Punter who could tackle would be ideal, but, im not disappointed in the pick

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    We needed a Punter...No way he isnt an improvement to Podlesh.

Take me back to the Forest

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    ****er also ran a 4.62 40. Can he play linebacker?

#VoteRizzo... or else

vCash
    I hate drafting a P/K who isn't a once in a decade talent. Dude's a developmental P who can't pull off directional kicks. I'm not a fan of this pick.

Also, we'd prefer a P who can tackle? Are you ****ing kidding me? How in the **** is that any kind of relevant for anything? If your P has to make a play, you have bigger issues than "golly, I hope he can tackle!"
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    I have no problem using a 6th round pick to ensure the acquisition a definite starter at a position of need rather than picking up a player who'll turn into nothing fourteen times out of fifteen.

vCash
    I agree. Here are the 6th rounders in the last 10 years that the Bears had, 7th rounders are even more laughable with the exception of Lance Louis. Majority of the late rounders are nothing more than special team and depth anyway so why not take a flyer on a punter with huge upside?

Cornelius Washington
    Isaiah Frey
    J.T. Thomas
    Al Afalava
    J.D. Runnels
    Tyler Reed
    Chris Harris

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post
    I hate drafting a P/K who isn't a once in a decade talent. Dude's a developmental P who can't pull off directional kicks. I'm not a fan of this pick.

Also, we'd prefer a P who can tackle? Are you ****ing kidding me? How in the **** is that any kind of relevant for anything? If your P has to make a play, you have bigger issues than "golly, I hope he can tackle!"
    LOL - eh, couldn't we have used this pick to trade up or something and get a punter in free agency?
    Oh well ... it wasn't like the Raiders and Janikowski, AND let's be real, even if the guy doesn't make this team it's not like there will be a outcry of a wasted pick, it will more so brushed under the rug and move on

Let's give this kid a shot - got to say this GM does have a set agenda and won't swerve away from it even if there is room for improvement in draft position or not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd420 View Post
    LOL - eh, couldn't we have used this pick to trade up or something and get a punter in free agency?
    Oh well ... it wasn't like the Raiders and Janikowski, AND let's be real, even if the guy doesn't make this team it's not like there will be a outcry of a wasted pick, it will more so brushed under the rug and move on

Let's give this kid a shot - got to say this GM does have a set agenda and won't swerve away from it even if there is room for improvement in draft position or not
    The last part is so wrong it's funny

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by db75 View Post

That's silly. "Once in a decade" P/K talents get drafted earlier than sixth round (see: Janikowski, Anger, etc.). Even if he isn't one, the odds of him panning out as a punter is A LOT higher than any other player in the sixth round. And we have a gaping hole at that position. I feel much more comfortable with one of the top punters in the draft than some random UDFA.

His athleticism is just the cherry on top and that could very well be enough to make a TD-saving tackle. I wonder if Emery was thinking that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast