Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Round 6 Pick 182: Minnesota Vikings Select CB Antone Exum

Antone Exum - DB - Vikings
    May 10 - 3:59 PM

Vikings selected Virginia Tech CB Antone Exum with the No. 182 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Exum (5-foot-11 5/8, 213) tore his right ACL in January of 2013, and his final college season was marred by ankle woes. He was a standout performer when healthy, earning second-team All-ACC honors during a five-interception junior year. Exum saw action at safety, outside corner and slot corner for the Hokies. He projects best to the former position after clocking 4.59 at the Combine with a 35-inch vertical. Exum figures to focus on special teams as a rookie, but could eventually develop into a contributor on defense.
    STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL safety, boasting broad shoulders and a thick frame, overall. Possesses a low, quick backpedal and fluid turning motion. Accelerates smoothly, showing good athleticism and straight-line speed to handle man coverage duties. Size and explosive leaping ability make him a difficult matchup for receivers in jump-ball situations. Shows good hand-eye coordination to knock away the ball once he locates it in the air. Flashes physicality as a hitter, as well as the vision and speed to take proper angles in pursuit. Highly versatile defender with experience playing three different positions in a pro-style scheme that has produced a number of NFL defensive backs. Quality special teams performer who projects well as a defender on kick and punt coverage units. Graduated with a degree in finance and is working on a second degree in marketing.

WEAKNESSES: At his best when facing the quarterback. Loses track of the ball, too often face-guarding the receiver when locked up in man coverage on the perimeter. Inconsistent angles to the ball, as well as physicality when tackling. Will lower his shoulder and lunge, on occasion, rather than seeing his target and breaking down properly. NFL teams will want to know why he elected not to play earlier in 2013 as his knee was cleared by the renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews on September 30 and, according to his official bio, "opted not to play."

COMPARES TO: Charles Godfrey, Carolina Panthers - Godfrey was a standout cornerback at Iowa prior to making the transition to safety in the NFL. Exum possesses a similar frame and athleticism and flashes the toughness to handle this move, should that be the position his NFL teams feels he projects best. Regardless of his position, Exum boasts a unique blend of size and athleticism to intrigue but teams will have to be convinced of his health and dedication towards improvement.
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 05-10-2014 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    I like it! I'm sure vcu is pumped to have a Hokie!

RUDY

vCash
    http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/5...m-draft-primer

Like it, pick up a guy coming off injury that really has talent

Teddy Bridgewater | Andrew Wiggins | Byron Buxton
    THE FUTURE IS NOW

vCash
    Good pick. Probably would've been 2nd-3rd round talent if not for injury

"DB Antone Exum, Virginia Tech: The “other” cornerback at Virginia Tech, Exum's senior season was derailed after an off-season ACL injury, but he has the skill set to play either free safety or corner in the NFL and will be an excellent value in the fourth or fifth round. Exum has an impressive physique for the position and passes the eye test, but he lacks elite speed and often finds himself trailing with his back to the line of scrimmage. His aggressive nature is both his best and worst quality, getting physical and bloodying his nose, but sometimes too early or too late. Exum has starting traits, most likely in a free safety role at the next level, but the durability is the mystery element to his evaluation, coming of a serious knee injury. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I like it! I'm sure vcu is pumped to have a Hokie!
    Not at all and it has nothing to do with where he went to school. lol Really think we reached with this pick. There were plenty of players left on the board I would have rather had and guys that would contribute on more than just special teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Not at all and it has nothing to do with where he went to school. lol Really think we reached with this pick. There were plenty of players left on the board I would have rather had and guys that would contribute on more than just special teams.
    Haha. He's versatile tho. Good size, can play corner or safety and tackles well. My only knock is the injury history.

RUDY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Haha. He's versatile tho. Good size, can play corner or safety and tackles well. My only knock is the injury history.
    lol! I'm aware. Just think we could have drafted some guys that have less question marks then him with this pick.

vCash
    Exum is a good pick... dude can hit. Without the ACL I think he could have went in the 3rd or 4th

Chicago Blackhawks
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Cubs
    Duke Blue Devils
    Minnesota Vikings
    Northwestern Wildcats
    Virginia Tech Hokies

vCash
    Hearing Kam Chancellor comparisions

vCash
    Spielman said he is going to play safety.

vCash
    High Character Hokie Exum Fits Vikings Mold

Entering the 2014 NFL Draft, General Manager Rick Spielman and Head Coach Mike Zimmer often spoke of trying to find quality football players, but also high character young men in the annual player selection meeting. It seems that sixth round selection (No. 182 overall) safety/cornerback Antone Exum fits the bill.

An All-ACC performer and Sports Illustrated Honorable Mention All-American in 2012, Exum would have undoubtedly been a higher selection in the draft had he not tore his ACL in January 2013. Exum played and started in only three games during the 2013 season, missing time due to injury. The Glen Allen, Va. native proved he can perform on a bigger stage capturing the Russell Athletic Bowl MVP award after intercepting a pass in the 13-10 win over Rutgers.

Along with his body of work on the field, Exum has an impressive resume off the field. A fan favorite at Virginia Tech, Exum graduated with a degree in finance and is completing coursework for a second degree in marketing.

One story from the aforementioned Russell Athletic Bowl seems to define Exum’s character. Exum and teammates received a gift card as a part of the care package for the bowl game. Instead of spending the gift card on himself, Exum decided to cheer up the holiday season for three youngsters he had spotted at the store, buying them a Playstation 3 console and a blackberry phone.

Exum, who excelled at multiple positions in the secondary while at Virginia Tech, will likely play safety for the Vikings and will have to prove himself on the field to gain a spot on the roster for 2014. Don’t be surprised, though, if Exum is just as eager to make a profound impact in the community, too.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-...40515_23976824
    Exum started 35-of-44 games at Virginia Tech – 19 at free safety and 16 at weakside cornerback…Finished with 36 pass deflections and six interceptions for 80 yards in returns, also registering 186 tackles (110 solos) that included 1.5 sacks for minus 14 yards and eight stops for losses totaling 23 yards…Caused five fumbles and recovered two others…His total of forty-two passes defended rank third in Atlantic Coast Conference history and 23rd on the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision record chart.

http://min.scout.com/2/1401569.html
    Love the character Exum has off the field, still not huge a fan of his tackling and habit of getting PIs all the time.... Maybe he will make me a believer
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 05-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.

vCash
    I really wanted Kyle Fuller in the second round or so and I'm really bummed he is a Bear and I have to hate him now. haha But Exum will be an excellent Safety. Doesn't have the speed to be a No. 1 CB but he should fill in nicely in the SS spot. Learning from Smith can't hurt either. I'm really excited to see our team come together.
    Catch 22: run or pass, you're screwed either way!

vCash
    Antone Exum - DB - Vikings
    May 21 - 10:54 AM

Vikings signed sixth-round DB Antone Exum to a four-year contract.

Exum would have gone higher in the draft if he didn't blow out his knee while playing pickup basketball in January of 2013. If healthy, his ability to play all over the secondary and natural talent give him a strong chance of cracking the final roster.