Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Posnanski: Papi's Popup and Yu's No No

Since the Darvish no-hitter thread was closed (prematurely I'd say since there's still plenty to talk about, IMO) I'll make a new thread

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/pap...and-yus-no-no/
    Letís stop for a moment. Letís stop for a moment a think about how stupid this thing we are arguing about really is. Friday night in Texas, Yu Darvish had a no-hitter going. In the seventh inning, David Ortiz popped up the ball to short right field. Routine as it gets. But the Rangers had on the shift, so fielders were in somewhat unfamiliar places. Rangersí rookie second baseman Rougned Odor was sort of in the vicinity of where the ball was going to land. This seemed to confuse him and it also seemed to confuse right fielder Alex Rios who should have stepped in to catch it. Instead, the ball dropped between them.

Here is my best guess.

1. Ninety-nine percent of baseball fans believe that ball absolutely should have been caught.

And Ö

2. Ninety-nine percent of baseball fans believe it should not be ruled an error because neither guy touched the ball.

This is the stupidity of errors in 21st Century America.

vCash
    I also agree that it was closed prematurely. I have never understood closing threads when no-hitters or perfect games are lost, because discussion about the attempts or controversial plays could still exist. Why close it? If there's no discussion, the thread will go away on its own.

Anyways, to summarize what I posted in the other thread...

I think the most important issue with this is consistency, and that plays should be ruled independent of the game situation. In a vacuum, yes, this is the correct call. According to the rules, it absolutely was an error. However, that play is constantly being ruled a hit. I have never seen a similar situation (lazy pop fly that an outfielder loses in the sun, for example) be ruled an error, it has always been a hit. For consistency's sake, that was a hit last night.

And, as I said before, if this is the start of that play consistently being ruled an error, that would be great. Because it SHOULD be an error. It has always baffled me why it's ruled a hit when the fielder(s) are clearly at fault. But I doubt it will be, and that's the issue I have.

vCash
    It should have been an error according to the rule book and reason.

But last night that play was only ruled an error because the no-hitter was intact. That's the issue. A play like that where there is miscommunication between fielders and the ball drops without touching a glove has always been ruled a hit in every other situation ever.

We could just get rid of errors altogether and call everything a hit when a player reaches.

vCash
    That play is called a hit 99% of the time, the fact that it was ruled an error due to circumstance is totally wrong, ended up not mattering considering Ortiz got a hit later in the game, but still it should have been ruled a hit in the 7th inning.
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    That play is called a hit 99% of the time, the fact that it was ruled an error due to circumstance is totally wrong, ended up not mattering considering Ortiz got a hit later in the game, but still it should have been ruled a hit in the 7th inning.
    Yep all of my life I have been told that if the baseball never hits the glove or it's just a mental error then it is a hit and that is what I think it should have been in the 7th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittz View Post
    I also agree that it was closed prematurely. I have never understood closing threads when no-hitters or perfect games are lost, because discussion about the attempts or controversial plays could still exist. Why close it? If there's no discussion, the thread will go away on its own.

I think the most important issue with this is consistency, and that plays should be ruled independent of the game situation. In a vacuum, yes, this is the correct call. According to the rules, it absolutely was an error. However, that play is constantly being ruled a hit. I have never seen a similar situation (lazy pop fly that an outfielder loses in the sun, for example) be ruled an error, it has always been a hit. For consistency's sake, that was a hit last night.

And, as I said before, if this is the start of that play consistently being ruled an error, that would be great. Because it SHOULD be an error. It has always baffled me why it's ruled a hit when the fielder(s) are clearly at fault. But I doubt it will be, and that's the issue I have.
    Agreed on all counts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Yep all of my life I have been told that if the baseball never hits the glove or it's just a mental error then it is a hit and that is what I think it should have been in the 7th.
    I've been told completely differently then, errors are called by appreciation from the scorer, if the scorer thought the play should ave been made then it's an error, it doesn't matter if the ball hit the glove or not. For example, what if a ball gets through an infielder legs and do not touch the glove? that happens all the time and 100% of the time is called an error as it should. Some scorers tend to help the pitchers/hitters in certain occasion with some calls but that's the human factor of the game, not saying that's the way it should be but that's how it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittz View Post

Couldn't have said it any better

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I've been told completely differently then, errors are called by appreciation from the scorer, if the scorer thought the play should ave been made then it's an error, it doesn't matter if the ball hit the glove or not. For example, what if a ball gets through an infielder legs and do not touch the glove? that happens all the time and 100% of the time is called an error as it should. Some scorers tend to help the pitchers/hitters in certain occasion with some calls but that's the human factor of the game, not saying that's the way it should be but that's how it is.
    Ground balls and pop ups are different with regards to touching the glove.
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Ground balls and pop ups are different with regards to touching the glove.
    So what about if a guy takes a diving to catch the ball but it hit his glove and can't make a play? my point is that all that ball touching glove/not touching glove thing is BS, everything is about appreciation by the official.

vCash
    it's not that big of a deal. if no one touches it, it can't be ruled an error. simple as that
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    It was changed to a hit lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    It was changed to a hit lol.

vCash
    Thats crazy
    Be $wavy

vCash
    I don't recall the MLB ever reversing a scorers choice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast