Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Ok, NOW the Clipper players should sit out

Now that the rush of Adam Silver jumping to the rescue and the illusion that he could easily snatch the team away from Donald Sterling is over... and now that we see clearly that Donald Sterling (and his wife, and very likely the entire upper hierarchy of the Clippers organization) are totally cynical and unrepentant about this entire affair, having failed to offer up any kind of apology or even the slightest acknowledgment that there was anything that anybody should have been offended by, it is now time for the Clipper players to take a moral stand and sit out at least one game, and very likely the entire rest of the playoffs.

As it becomes clear that Sterling will likely battle the league to a stalemate if not an outright victory, and that he cannot be legally forced to sell the team, much less prevented from simply passing it sideways to his wife or another confederate, the reality dawns that the ugly cloud over the Clippers will remain for the foreseeable future and has in fact gotten even worse and more toxic.

If the players were truly upset by the picture of dogmatic racism completed by the recorded statements originally leaked by TMZ, and offended that they have not even received the slightest personal apology or explanation from Mr. Sterling, then they are challenged and confronted at this moment by a moral dilemma. Either walk away from the Clippers, even at the cost of being in breach of contract, or simply lie down and take it, and go out there and play for the Clippers.

At this point, too, with Donald Sterling in open revolt against the league and initiating lawsuits against them, I have no idea what any Clipper "fans" are doing at any of these games. Is the situation not clear?

If the player's and coaches truly consider Sterling's conduct to be reprehensible and intolerable they should just walk away and bring this situation to a head. Now. Or else they should just accept that their ownership situation is not ideal, and that this ongoing situation is just going to be part of the NBA for *a while*.

Question: does anybody know if any of the sponsors who opted out have now opted back in? Were any of them contractually obligated to remain as sponsors or at least to continue paying for advertising already purchased?

In any case, if you ask me it is not enough to just leave this to the league. This is clearly a player issue, and a fan issue, and it is only the players and the fans who can bring any real pressure. So if Sterling is truly going to go all the way with this fight, then the players should too. Immediately. And the fans. Adam Silver, for his part, can issue a league order that any Clipper players will be allowed to opt out of their contracts (I believe he can do this if work conditions are deemed unhygienic or whatever). From there, as the lengthy legal battles get underway, the Clippers can just go all the way into the tank in front of an empty Staples center. (and by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?)

Otherwise, if the Clipper players, coaches and fans are just willing to stay in the current situation for the foreseeable future (admittedly, the most "Clipper-tastic" thing to do) then that is their choice, and they shouldn't complain, because it was simply worth the money and the situation is obviously not that bad, whether or not Sterling sees fit to reach out to the them, or to the city and the league, to offer a genuine acknowledgment and apology to try and heal the wounds that have been created, or not.

If not... *meh*. Seriously this is just another chapter in Clippers' lore as far as I'm concerned, not particularly worse than anything else. Clipper fans should just acknowledge that they accept this, and the players should too. Free country, and if they don't have a problem with it, then it's not my problem either so I guess I don't care either.
    Last edited by Sssmush; 05-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.

vCash
    Hmmm im just curious but if he's wife does become the new owner couldn't he just say what's mine is hers and what's her is mine??

Bcuz that would be ****ed up

vCash
    They gladly took his money and signed the contracts after being well aware that he was a slumlord. Now because of a recorded conversation(illegally recorded I might add) the players should boycott?

Lol, not a chance.

vCash
    He gonna win a boat load of money when he sue the nba. There is the reason why the guy don't talk much to the press other than scripted line his lawyers gave him to make his case more valid. Billionaire like him doesn't get there by having people walk all over him. What he said was messed up but it isn't illegal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDeer:28469074
    They gladly took his money and signed the contracts after being well aware that he was a slumlord. Now because of a recorded conversation(illegally recorded I might add) the players should boycott?

Lol, not a chance.
    He gave permission to be recorded because he's losing his memory he just didn't know the tape would get leaked... How is this still not common knowledge :S

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    The players and coaches said they are just focusing on basketball and the league is still yet to have a vote to oust Sterling as an owner for breaching the contracts he signed with the league as his comments have hurt the clippers revenue stream, his continued presence will hurt the leagues revenue stream (violation 1 and 2 in hurting the franchise and the league financially). Sterling has also signed moral and ethical contracts with the league which he is also in violation of.... As for his wife she has never been an approved owner and I don't see all the other owners just voting her in with open arms... lol. So I cannot for see her being the new owner as it will still hurt the league and clippers financial interests. As far as the fans they are supporting there team through some dark times they aren't trying to win a ring for Donald or Shelly but for themselves and the fans and I see no problem with the fans supporting there team.

The off season will be interesting though that's for sure... No need to strike now though when your career goals are to win a championship. Not one player wants to win for ownership it's for themselves and the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    The players and coaches said they are just focusing on basketball and the league is still yet to have a vote to oust Sterling as an owner for breaching the contracts he signed with the league as his comments have hurt the clippers revenue stream, his continued presence will hurt the leagues revenue stream (violation 1 and 2 in hurting the franchise and the league financially). Sterling has also signed moral and ethical contracts with the league which he is also in violation of.... As for his wife she has never been an approved owner and I don't see all the other owners just voting her in with open arms... lol. So I cannot for see her being the new owner as it will still hurt the league and clippers financial interests. As far as the fans they are supporting there team through some dark times they aren't trying to win a ring for Donald or Shelly but for themselves and the fans and I see no problem with the fans supporting there team.

The off season will be interesting though that's for sure... No need to strike now though when your career goals are to win a championship. Not one player wants to win for ownership it's for themselves and the fans.
    Bingo. That's why the NBA CAN force him to sell. If they feel that it's hurting their business and image they are intheir legal right to oust him.

vCash
    First the Clippers are not playing for DS they are playing for each other. They have a legit shot at making it to the NBA finals. They aren't simply going to throw that away simply because their owner is a racist idiot. That is up to the league to decide in the coming months what is going to happen with them. I am not sure if it matters or not what the league agreed to as far as who is the owner of the team. If the Sterling's chose to divorce the team would have at best been split between them as marital property. Leaving the league able to potentially force the sale of Donald's half but maybe not his wife/ex wife's. This is going to be a colossal mess before it is settled I believe but just don't see the team throwing away the season because of it. Just don't think their competitive pride would allow such a thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    Question: does anybody know if any of the sponsors who opted out have now opted back in? Were any of them contractually obligated to remain as sponsors or at least to continue paying for advertising already purchased?
    This is the biggest reason I think the league has a good leg to stand on in ousting Donald Sterling. Though won't allow the league to throw his wife out also especially if the team is split in a divorce proceeding.

In any case, if you ask me it is not enough to just leave this to the league. This is clearly a player issue, and a fan issue, and it is only the players and the fans who can bring any real pressure. So if Sterling is truly going to go all the way with this fight, then the players should too. Immediately. And the fans. Adam Silver, for his part, can issue a league order that any Clipper players will be allowed to opt out of their contracts (I believe he can do this if work conditions are deemed unhygienic or whatever). From there, as the lengthy legal battles get underway, the Clippers can just go all the way into the tank in front of an empty Staples center. (and by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?)
    I do not believe Sterling has this type of power. He cannot simply nullify legally signed contracts. The players at best would only be allowed to sit out until their contract was over. What he said is reprehensible but I don't think it is enough to provide a breach of contract. I imagine they have a contract with the Lakers to play there so long as the contract isn't ending they won't have a choice. Sterling would simply sue to have the contract enforced just like he would with the players if they tried to get out of their contracts. You can't forget he is a lawyer by trade and loves to fight it out in court.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?
    Why would it be up to the lakers? The seats are purple and black for a reasokln. HELLO, staples is LA Kings home, not the lakers

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    I'm really confused where this is coming from. The only commentator saying that the Sterlings stand a chance is JVG, and everyone all but called him an idiot on air.

Their ownership of the team is marital property, and she can't make anymore claim to the team than Donald can. NBA teams are branded franchises, just like any McDonalds. Owners are under legal obligation to the NBA, and the corporation can take back the franchise under the rules of the contract that Sterling signed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDeer View Post

Lol, not a chance.
    Plz stop talking on clips related affairs. Players boycotting isn't exactly unheard of.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I'm really confused where this is coming from. The only commentator saying that the Sterlings stand a chance is JVG, and everyone all but called him an idiot on air.

Their ownership of the team is marital property, and she can't make anymore claim to the team than Donald can. NBA teams are branded franchises, just like any McDonalds. Owners are under legal obligation to the NBA, and the corporation can take back the franchise under the rules of the contract that Sterling signed.
    Nah, they really cant otherwise a vote of the owners wouldnt be needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowblanket View Post
    He gonna win a boat load of money when he sue the nba. There is the reason why the guy don't talk much to the press other than scripted line his lawyers gave him to make his case more valid. Billionaire like him doesn't get there by having people walk all over him. What he said was messed up but it isn't illegal
    What people fail to realize is Silver and the rest of the suits running the NBA are all lawyers and business graduates with a doctorate. They know what they are doing.

The only real issue that I see is taking ownership from his wife... that one looks like an uphill battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    What people fail to realize is Silver and the rest of the suits running the NBA are all lawyers and business graduates with a doctorate. They know what they are doing.

The only real issue that I see is taking ownership from his wife... that one looks like an uphill battle.
    All they have to do is not vote her in as a controlling owner and problem solved.

Shelly wants that power of the title, but she fails to realize that only Donald is the owner, he entered the contract, not Shelly...when she has to apply for that title she'll be denied by the other owners and will be forced to sell.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast