Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Eric Campbell called up

Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN Eric Campbell will join Mets on Saturday from Vegas. Other half not announced. Obviously Josh Satin would appear vulnerable.

I'm glad this move was made. I thought Campbell did enough to make the team out of ST honestly.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 05-10-2014 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    I called it .

Feel bad for Satin but the guy was just not hitting. Campbell deserves a shot, is hitting really well, and has more versatility.

vCash
    I don't feel bad about Satin at all. He played like absolute trash.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I don't feel bad about Satin at all. He played like absolute trash.
    He did but its got to be tough to get that call to the manager's office knowing what's coming. It's on him for sure but has to be disheartening for the guy.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    I like this move. I remember this Campbell guy in ST. Guy showed he can hit.

Who knows, but he can't do any worse than the guy he is replacing, assuming it is Satin. Satin had opportunity but did his best Nick Evans impression to lose his job.

We need offense immediately, if not sooner..... The season is young enough so that if we make the right moves we can still win 80. ...... I'm trying to be positive despite my better judgment. Right now, there is no dominant team in the NL East. If the right moves are made especially addressing the BP anything can happen in baseball. If it stays at it is we will fail.

I want to see some of these minor league RP's that guys on the forum are hyped about. I want to see how they pitch under pressure in the Bigs. I expect pitching changes by June 1.

Who knows this might even turn out to be a repeat of 1973...... Let's Go Mets!!!!!!!

Fix it SA!!!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash

On another note, I haven't forgotten about our SS situation. All EYES are on Wilmer Flores.

I wonder what will happen at 1B if Duda fails. Hmmmmm. He is no lock. Where is his power hitting? Where are the HR's, Dude?

Eric Campbell make Boston College proud of you......
    [IMG][/IMG]

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Backup part-timer is a tough role. Coming off the bench and perform after not having any game time in a while can be tough. Getting Satin regular PTs again will be a good thing. Maybe he can contribute off the bench later this year.

But this move had to be done. Let's see what Campbell can do. I like that he can give multiple guys days off if necessary. More versatile than Satin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post

On another note, I haven't forgotten about our SS situation. All EYES are on Wilmer Flores.

I wonder what will happen at 1B if Duda fails. Hmmmmm. He is no lock. Where is his power hitting? Where are the HR's, Dude?

Dykstra/Campbell platoon is a possibility. I don't see that happening right now. Duda is playing fine. Not even remotely close to failing. I think we win last night if he was in the lineup vs Hernandez in those big spots.

vCash
    Here's an article from April 22nd, 2014.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/...ward-big-break

By TODD DEWEY
    LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Invited to his first big league training camp this spring with the New York Mets, Eric Campbell wasn’t content just to be there. Named the 51s’ Most Valuable Player by the coaching staff last season, Campbell made a strong bid to make the Mets as a utility man.

“He opened up a lot of eyes in spring training,” Las Vegas manager Wally Backman said. “He was one of the last guys sent out, and there was a lot of talk about him — the way he handled himself as a professional and his work ethic.

“He showed those people in the big leagues he can swing the bat, and he can play multiple positions.”

Campbell — who hit a towering go-ahead two-run homer and doubled in the 51s’ 5-4 win over El Paso on Monday night at Cashman Field — already has played every position this season except for pitcher, catcher and center field.

He earned regular playing time in spring training when first basemen Lucas Duda and Ike Davis were sidelined with injuries, and made the most of it, batting .304 (14-for-46) in 24 games.

Not that Campbell’s confidence needed a boost.

“I’ve felt from day one that I can play in the big leagues. That’s the only reason that I’m playing is to make it there,” he said. “Hopefully I’ve proved to them what I’ve always believed in myself — that I can help them win games.”

A corner infielder and outfielder in his first six pro seasons, Campbell has seen action this year at shortstop and second base, where he has worked tirelessly with Backman — the former Mets second baseman who said Campbell’s versatility can be his ticket to the majors.

“He’s a baseball player is what he is,” Backman said. “I wouldn’t be afraid to put him at second in the big leagues after watching him play second only four games for me. If he can fill in at short and second in the big leagues, he can become a super utility guy.

“And I wouldn’t just put the super utility label on him because he’s hit like .360 the last three years against left-handed pitching. Guys that can do that are special.”

A Norwich, Conn., native and Boston College product, Campbell said he’ll do whatever it takes to reach the majors.

“Whether that’s playing shortstop, second, center field, whatever,” he said. “I’m into it if it gets me up there.”

On the cusp of making his major league debut this season, Campbell was on the cusp of getting cut not long ago.

Mired in a slump midway through the 2011 season — when he batted a career-low .247 for Double-A Binghamton under Backman — Campbell was concerned his days with the Mets were numbered.

“I turned it around and finished up strong, and that probably saved me from getting released that next spring training,” he said. “It’s taken off since then.”

Campbell bounced back to bat .297 in 2012 and .314 last season for Las Vegas, with a career-high 66 RBIs and a Pacific Coast League-leading .435 on-base percentage.

He went 2-for-4 Monday to lift his batting average to .316 with three homers, a team-leading 15 RBIs and league-leading 21 runs.

“From 2011 to me having him last year to this year, the improvements he’s made in his whole game are second to probably nobody,” Backman said. “He knows he’s real close. He’s fighting for it. He wants a job.”

If and when Campbell is summoned to the majors, he plans to stay there.

“I feel like if they do happen to call my name that I’ll be ready to help them win,” he said. “It would mean everything, but one thing I want to make sure is that when I do get called up, I want to stick forever.

“I don’t want to be one of those guys who goes up and down. I’m really trying to prepare myself to play forever up there.”

We can whine all day about wanting a winner, blah blah blah.. This is my favorite part of baseball. Seeing these guys come up and realize their dreams. I already can't wait for tonight as apparently there's a good chance Campbell will be starting with Duda still on meds for whatever he had.

I just love being a spectator to when people have one of the greatest moments they'll ever have in their lives. Something they've worked and sacrificed everything for.

Go Eric!

vCash
    Always been a fan of Campbell, so am happy for him.

vCash
    Not sure if i like the fact that we now have two guys on the team named Eric.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    1 advantage of Campbell over Satin or Andrew Brown...is that can play both the infield and the OF...Satin pretty much was only used as a corner IFer, and Brown (while being a 1st baseman) was only used as an OFer...With the Mets only carrying 4 OFers, Campbell is more useful than Satin, even if Satin were hitting...And I'm not counting Abreau as an OFer, that's like counting Rusty Staub as an OFer in Rusty's final 3 seasons...

vCash
    Campbell sucks, but at least this means they're finally gong to send Lagares back to Vegas where he belongs.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Campbell sucks, but at least this means they're finally gong to send Lagares back to Vegas where he belongs.
    maybe it's time to send Lagares down to have a month relearning shortstop....hey if dropping 10 pounds helped change the MFO's perspective of Flores being a capable shortstop; then Lagares' play in CF should open some perspectives that thought that he couldn't play defense...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I really hope I'm getting Magood here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast