Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Round 3 Pick 96: Minnesota Vikings Select RB Jerick McKinnon

Jerick McKinnon - RB - Vikings
    May 9 - 11:12 PM

Vikings selected Georgia Southern RB Jerick McKinnon with the No. 96 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

McKinnon (5-foot-9, 209) is a favorite of the metrics crowd for his insane measurables. He ran 4.41 at the Combine with otherworldly jumps of 40 1/2" in the vertical and 11-feet in the broad. McKinnon shuttled between quarterback and tailback throughout college, finishing his career with a 6.30 YPC average on 619 attempts and 55 all-purpose TDs (42 rushing, 12 passing, one receiving). McKinnon's athleticism shows up more in workouts than on the field, however, and he's a total project in the passing game, with next to no pass-blocking experience and only ten career catches. He'll be someone to monitor in Dynasty circles as he slides in behind Adrian Peterson.
    STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL running back. Sports a powerful, well-built frame that provides clear evidence of time spent in the weight-room. Fluid athlete who changes directions easily and accelerates smoothly.
    Comfortable with the ball in his hands. Lowers his shoulders upon contact and runs with forward lean. Good vision. Reads blocks and shows impressive initial burst out of his cuts to separate. Physical and cognizant blocker. Showed his commitment to the team with his willingness to play whatever role asked.

WEAKNESSES: Very raw as he possesses virtually no experience as a traditional running back. Took most his carries as a read-option quarterback or after taking the pitch to the outside, therefore his ability to run between the tackles is a projection.

Impressed in his toughness as a running quarterback but this role is a far cry from what will expected of him when running inside and when in pass protection (where he was not surprisingly inconsistent at the Senior Bowl). Accelerates smoothly but tops out quickly and defenders are able to catch up. Very little experience as a receiver in this run-heavy offense. Caught a total of three passes in 2013 (for 23 yards).

COMPARES TO: Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints - Ingram hasn't been able to wrench away the starting role in New Orleans since earning a first round pick in 2011 but his powerful, downhill running style adds a degree of toughness to an offensive that is otherwise largely finesse. McKinnon is, of course, nowhere near as pro-ready as Ingram was when leaving Alabama but he offers a similar frame and running style and could also emerge as a valuable contributor once given time to adjust to his new role.
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 05-10-2014 at 03:44 PM.

vCash
    Jerick McKinnon NFL Draft 2014: Highlights, Scouting Report for Vikings RB | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=tsandroid

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    the only question I have here is........would he not have been there early 5th?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    something seems fishy about this pick, he might get a shot at SS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    the only question I have here is........would he not have been there early 5th?
    No. Can't risk waiting a whole round, especially since the run on HBs has started. If we had our 4th rounder, that is probably where we take him, and we would have went safety or lb here. That's the risk of trading your picks though. This was Norvs must have guy. He got his Sproles.
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 05-10-2014 at 04:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blom85 View Post
    something seems fishy about this pick, he might get a shot at SS.
    Per Spirlman, Norv told Mike and Rick how many things he could do with this guy out of the backfield when they were scouting him. This is the RB they wanted. The guy is built like a beast. Just solid rock. He projectsa as more than just a speedy shifty 3rd down guy. He is built like an every down guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    Per Spirlman, Norv told Mike and Rick how many things he could do with this guy out of the backfield when they were scouting him. This is the RB they wanted. The guy is built like a beast. Just solid rock. He projectsa as more than just a speedy shifty 3rd down guy. He is built like an every down guy.
    Mel Kiper absolutely loves him, said he was the biggest sleeper at rb.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    This guy reminds me of a bigger and faster David Palmer.

Norv is gonna do somethings with this guy

THIS IS PHOTO EVIDENCE THAT GOINGFOR28 GETS PAID FOR DOING THIS

vCash
    Jerick McKinnon is a beast. Played every position possible at southern except OL and DL.

vCash
    I still am very high on Kadeem Carey, still a little shocked we didn't take him, McKinnon has more upside though?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    This guy's measurables are off the charts. Benches like a linemen, with the speed and agility of Patterson.

vCash
    I really, really like this pick. After watching some tape on him, he definitely comes off as a guy who can do just about everything on offense, and apparently he played some defense too. I wanted De'Anthony, but I trust our FO with this pick. He tore up the Gators last year (albeit that was the worst florida team i have seen in my lifetime) I'm ready to see the kid play.

^Credit to TearsOfPurple^

vCash
    watched a couple videos, does anyone know if he has had any sort of fumbling problems? He seemed to carry the ball very loose a lot of times but obviously they were highlights so would show that. Correctable, but just curious.

Anyways he seems like the type of backup rb I have wanted for a while (no offense Toby). Glad we got our guy, even if I hadn't heard of him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    watched a couple videos, does anyone know if he has had any sort of fumbling problems? He seemed to carry the ball very loose a lot of times but obviously they were highlights so would show that. Correctable, but just curious.

Anyways he seems like the type of backup rb I have wanted for a while (no offense Toby). Glad we got our guy, even if I hadn't heard of him.
    i read somehwere that yes, he fumbles. dont remember where tho

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    I was just watching his combine videos from Vikings.com...i think this dude is gonna be a stud. He has great hands it looks like. Was definitely a hands catcher, which is a great thing to see for a guy like that. He is so fast...such an athletic freak in every way. He will be our Darren Sproles.

Chicago Blackhawks
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Cubs
    Duke Blue Devils
    Minnesota Vikings
    Northwestern Wildcats
    Virginia Tech Hokies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast