1 4.17%
  • F

4 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Patriots select Jimmy Garoppolo

Grade the pick!

vCash
    I like the pick but Pats need to address lack of LB depth and the O-Line eventually in this draft....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Konnection View Post
    I like the pick but Pats need to address lack of LB depth and the O-Line eventually in this draft....
    I don't think the Pats needed to use a high pick for those needs seeing that the starters are already in place there. I just kinda hate that we're looking at a good possibility of looking at Hooman starting at TE for most of the season again.

vCash
    I like mcarron a little more but I've never been able to see what makes a good college player a pro

vCash
    drafting a QB in this spot is a little bizarre to me... for a few reasons

1.) The Pats are going to carry three QBs this season?

2.) Pats still have major depth needs at positions other than QB (the entire receiving core is iffy right now, for example); the FA signings suggest we are going all in this year, but if Brady goes down it doesn't matter who our backup QB is we aren't winning squat

3.) Brady's and Garoppolo's contracts expire the same year, so if he is the QB of the future he's going to cost quite a bit of coin to retain.

just don't really see the point of this pick tbh; would rather have signed a journeymen QB as backup for a few years and draft Brady's successor in the 2016or 2017 1st round (giving them five years of control). Two years would still be enough time to groom the QB
    Last edited by xnick5757; 05-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for the Memories Suarez!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I don't think the Pats needed to use a high pick for those needs seeing that the starters are already in place there. I just kinda hate that we're looking at a good possibility of looking at Hooman starting at TE for most of the season again.
    I don't think there was a tight end on the board that could step in and play a lot this season. Maybe there will be a camp cut somewhere around the league that can provide adequate depth.

As for the pick, it sounds like Garoppolo is a good developmental QB. Apparently there were teams that weren't looking for a QB that graded him out as a first round prospect. I have not watched any games of him so I can't really give an informed opinion, but it makes sense with Mallett gone after the season (or sooner). I do like that he apparently is great at throwing on the run and has an elite release.

vCash
    I agree Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS

This is a weird choice by the Patriots. They have Mallett, and Brady has some good years left. GRADE: C-

vCash
    this pick makes sense assuming the pats cut Brady in 2016 or 2017. would save them money against the cap and give them time to evaluate Garoppolo

Thanks for the Memories Suarez!

vCash
    I'm probably one of the only people, but I absolutely love the pick. Doesn't help win a superbowl this year obviously, but his mechanics, quick release, decision making, feet/ability to move, and the touch he displays on passes makes me think he could be elite after a couple years of development. You can call me absolutely insane if you want, but I really think he'll be an Aaron Rodgers type (and I'm not just saying that because that's who he feels he plays like). His film is impressive, just needs a little polish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    I agree Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS

This is a weird choice by the Patriots. They have Mallett, and Brady has some good years left. GRADE: C-
    Using Mallett as a reason for not making the pick is flawed logic. Mallett is on his way out and the Pats have a need for a developmental QB prospect. Most teams aren't as fortunate as the Colts when they got Luck after Manning. Smart organizations don't wait for the inevitable, they plan for it.

vCash
    I have no idea what to grade this. I am so mixed on this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I personally think Gronk will be ready by at worst week 3 this year...

vCash
    i have to grade this a C i am totally middle of the road on the player. i do feel stuck with mallett now too, i don't think there is any interest in value for this guy despite hearing that he will be traded for a pick over the past two drafts.so,i guess it is good to have a qb to try to groom.

vCash
    I hate it. We're on the cusp of winning right now, why waste a top pick on someone who AT BEST CASE SCENARIO doesn't play for 3 years

vCash
    Having a quality backup QB does hold some value even in terms of Brady's closing window. People only seem to think of the idea of him going down to injury as a season ending thing. What if he goes down with an injury in the regular season but can return before the playoffs. Let's say he goes down in game 4 and returns for game 13. In that case he'd be back for the playoffs to make a SB push but if the backup can't hold the fort for those 8 games Brady would miss then we won't be in the playoffs so one year of Brady's window gets thrown away. Not saying I like the pick but the idea that QB depth provides no value at all in a win-now situation is misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast