Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet, May 9th, 2014

Baseball America
    4. Gavin Cecchini, ss, Mets

Team: low Class A Savannah (South Atlantic)
    Why He’s Here: .458/.462/.875 (11-for-24), 5 R, 3 2B, 2 3B, 1 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Raise your hand if you saw this one coming. Cecchini, whom the Mets drafted 12th overall out of high school in 2012, ranks third among SAL shortstops with a .168 isolated slugging percentage—behind only 2013 college drafts JaCoby Jones (Pirates) and Pat Valaika (Rockies). This despite Cecchini playing half his games in the hitter’s graveyard that is Savannah and despite entering the season with a career .318 slugging percentage in short-season ball. Fully healthy this season, he’s showing off a rounded tool set that includes feel for the barrel, solid wheels and a strong defensive game.
    In the team photo

Wilmer Flores, ss, Mets. By going 11-for-22 (.500) with four homers, two doubles and 11 RBIs this week at Triple-A Las Vegas, Flores made the Mets’ decision to scuttle shortstop Ruben Tejada an easy one. The 22-year-old Flores will take over as big league shortstop after hitting .307/.360/.500 in 29 games on the farm this season.

vCash
    From the chat

Mikey (NYC): I thought Dominic Smith was a lock for this week's list. Why didn't he make it?
    Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Dominic Smith was a very close call for Hot Sheet status. He had a wonderful week (.524/.619/.615) but it was largely built on singles. When we’re creating the final Hot Sheet, we tend toward Runs Created, the Bill James-created metric that estimates the number of runs a hitter contributes to his team. If we used total bases, in fact, Smith might have fallen just short as well.

vCash
    Louie (Newark, NJ): When are the Mets going to give Vic Black a chance at the closer role in Queens? Farnsworth and Valverde have both stunk it up.
    Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: Hi Louie. Interesting that you bring up Black. The New York Daily News on Thursday, I believe, noted that Black had recently replaced Jeff Walters as the closer in Las Vegas and quoted Wally Backman as saying Black was “really making progress.” Control was an issue during his trials in spring and the fact he hasn’t walked a batter his past four appearances bodes well for his future.

vCash

Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet, May 9th, 2014

Familia will get next shot at closing -- reported by Rubin
    Last edited by Dugmet; 05-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Familia will get next shot at closing -- reported by Rubin
    Hey Doug. I thought I read u mention that savannah is looking into a new park. Any word on whether it will be less of a hitters graveyard? I'd love to see our savannah parks and Vegas parks play closer to real life stats

vCash
    It was nice seeing them play at blueclaws stadium which is pretty straight forward. Smith and Gavin had legit doubles that were doubles in any park. It was just a normal field. Not too different that places I played in community college just more frills. I'd like to see our young studs mature in an a similar environment
    Last edited by DirtyJerZ; 05-12-2014 at 01:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Hey Doug. I thought I read u mention that savannah is looking into a new park. Any word on whether it will be less of a hitters graveyard? I'd love to see our savannah parks and Vegas parks play closer to real life stats
    City of Savannah is doing a feasibility study. No commitment to building one. Tax payers have down-voted funding a new stadium with SPLOST twice in past 15 years. Columbia, SC is good to go and will start construction. In all likelihood any proposed stadium would be a single-purpose facility and built in accordance with normal dimensions.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson