vCash

Round 1 Pick #28 - Panthers select WR Kelvin Benjamin

Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State

Stats

Combine Profile

vCash
    High risk, but I like it.

vCash
    I gotta say, I was shocked that we passed on Lee and Latimer. The media made it out like we were destined to take Lattimore, but I'm glad we didn't. I like Lee, but I'm not a fan of risking another USC WR, maybe in round 2. I've been up and down with Benjamin most of the off-season, but I'm 100% fine with the pick given that I imagine our staff did plenty of research. He has a huge ceiling, but that also comes with the risk of a really low floor as well. I have faith in Proehl though.

I was trying to think of why we might've taken him over Lee, and I think if you watch some of the blocks Benjamin has made it's pretty obvious. He'll flat out destroy some DBs in the run game. And I don't foresee any circumstance where he isn't a good red-zone target. With him and Olsen, plus our run packages with Tolbert and Cam, we should have a pretty awesome red-zone offense. I'd love to see Bitonio last to our 2nd round pick, or maybe even Latimer if he gets past PHI, BAL, and SD.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    I like the pick, it helps that they turned in pick so quickly like they did with star. Makes me feel like that's the wr they wanted kc and phi going de really let us have our pick ot or wr so must of been guy we wanted. Trust in staff evaluation and I think his blocking plus bringing him in for some slot plays would be similar to what shockey gave us because he is as big as a te with Newton under center is red zone nightmare
    ]

vCash
    I think this pick makes more sense if you double dip at the position in one of the next 2-3 rounds. Benjamin to me is pretty raw and risky and you guys need immediate production at this spot. Not sure he was the best WR on the board in that regard. Down the road though his upside is far greater than any of the other WRs. Getting a more pro-ready guy at the position today or even tomorrow would put you guys in better position to deal with his development curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    I would love if Matthews fell to us but I'd take Landry as back up best ot's will be gone by our pick
    ]

vCash
    I'm a little wary of Benjamin because he's raw, but I totally understand the pick here. If he plays to potential, he fits our team perfectly and could be a great pick.

I have to say though, I'm a big fan of going Matthews, Robinson, Latimer, or Moncrief with our next pick. Then focus on the line and secondary after that, but I'm really not sure what we'll do.

vCash
    I love it, a few years down the road he will be looked at as the steal of the first round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I gotta say, I was shocked that we passed on Lee and Latimer. The media made it out like we were destined to take Lattimore, but I'm glad we didn't. I like Lee, but I'm not a fan of risking another USC WR, maybe in round 2. I've been up and down with Benjamin most of the off-season, but I'm 100% fine with the pick given that I imagine our staff did plenty of research. He has a huge ceiling, but that also comes with the risk of a really low floor as well. I have faith in Proehl though.

I was trying to think of why we might've taken him over Lee, and I think if you watch some of the blocks Benjamin has made it's pretty obvious. He'll flat out destroy some DBs in the run game. And I don't foresee any circumstance where he isn't a good red-zone target. With him and Olsen, plus our run packages with Tolbert and Cam, we should have a pretty awesome red-zone offense. I'd love to see Bitonio last to our 2nd round pick, or maybe even Latimer if he gets past PHI, BAL, and SD.
    Benjamin is a hit-or-miss guy as a blocker right now, but with the physicality and frame he has, plus the flashes of great ability in that area, I think Ricky Proehl will be able to coach him into a hell of a blocker myself.

As for picking him over Lee, I think it's pretty simple. What does Lee offer the Panthers that we don't already have on the roster? He's a short to intermediate dynamo for sure, but that's what the veteran WR talent on the roster (Avant, Cotchery particularly) exceeds at. Lee would be good, but he would also be redundant. Benjamin offers something that no other WR on the roster or in this draft could offer Carolina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Benjamin is a hit-or-miss guy as a blocker right now, but with the physicality and frame he has, plus the flashes of great ability in that area, I think Ricky Proehl will be able to coach him into a hell of a blocker myself.

As for picking him over Lee, I think it's pretty simple. What does Lee offer the Panthers that we don't already have on the roster? He's a short to intermediate dynamo for sure, but that's what the veteran WR talent on the roster (Avant, Cotchery particularly) exceeds at. Lee would be good, but he would also be redundant. Benjamin offers something that no other WR on the roster or in this draft could offer Carolina.
    I think he's a good pick for the reason's in the post. He may not be an every down player right away but he'll be a huge red zone and 3rd down threat and should develop into a #1 WR. I also think he fits well with Cotchery and Avant.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    I can't think of anyone off top of my head who wore #13 and made their mark, so I really like that he could have his own number that makes him stand out. Similar to Cam with #1; aside from Moon, I cant think of any other great QBs with #1. I definitely see #1 as being "Cam's number" pretty soon.

vCash
    I can't think of anyone off top of my head who wore #13 and made their mark
    You mean besides Hall of Fame QBs Dan Marino and Kurt Warner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    You mean besides Hall of Fame QBs Dan Marino and Kurt Warner?
    I meant WRs. I honestly can't even think of anyone who wore #13 as a WR.

vCash
    I meant WRs. I honestly can't even think of anyone who wore #13 as a WR.
    Steve Johnson is the only one I can think of.