Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why Do First Round Picks Especially Top 5 Take So Long?/How to Fix it.

I understand how big of a decision this is for each franchise for years to come, but why do picks need to take so long. For Example, right now the Texans are down to a minute left and still haven't made a decision. They have the first pick!! Before the draft they should have either already had a trade in place, or they should be able to walk in within 30 seconds and say who they have. The rest of the top 5-10 teams should be able to make decisions in 3 minutes considering their top choice may be off the board, but once again they should either have a trade already in place or should already have a back up choice. Later in the draft is more understandable because of how many players teams want are gone, but this is getting to the point where the draft isn't even fun to watch. Make the draft 2 days 1-2 the first day and 3-7 the 2nd day, and move it back to when it was. The number 1 thing the NFL needs to change is give teams 5 minutes, maybe a few more for 20 and on pics. Roger Goodell needs to stop worrying about how to make even more money because it's only going to hurt the NFL in the end. Somebody please fix the draft, I love the draft, I spend the week of it preparing and studying for it. Please just fix it NFL. Tell me your thoughts, I'm not the only one who thinks this right?

vCash
    same reason why there is now a 3 day draft and they may push it back a few more weeks now.... building anticipation and more revenue for the NFL with all the buzz.

I dont like it but i don't expect it to get better

vCash
    Anticipation and it truly is a big decision, just look at all the bust or slow to develop players.
    Be $wavy

vCash
    They already changed it from 15 mins to 10. It's in place so teams have a chance to regroup when things don't go as planned. It's fine the way it is...

vCash
    They milk the clock trying to work or wish for a trade. That is all.... I'm sure they know who they are gonna take before even being on the clock and just spend that entire time listening to trades or trying to work trades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller:28455293
    They milk the clock trying to work or wish for a trade. That is all.... I'm sure they know who they are gonna take before even being on the clock and just spend that entire time listening to trades or trying to work trades.
    This. It's not a big deal. It's really the major excitement between the SB and preseason. Let it be.

vCash
    Because seriously say you are even picking at 10.... At 7 or 8 you know the guys that are possibly gonna be there and start putting them in order. So before 9 even makes their pick you know you are either taking player A or player B.

Id love to see how the trade conversations go and how many deals don't get done. I know the Titans GM said that they had several offers to trade back at #11 and didn't feel they were worth the value they felt they were gonna get with the pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Because seriously say you are even picking at 10.... At 7 or 8 you know the guys that are possibly gonna be there and start putting them in order. So before 9 even makes their pick you know you are either taking player A or player B.

Id love to see how the trade conversations go and how many deals don't get done. I know the Titans GM said that they had several offers to trade back at #11 and didn't feel they were worth the value they felt they were gonna get with the pick.
    Fix it? The nfl wants it to last as long as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's different now than it was.

When he won the second one, Giants fans are here we're outside of their minds.
    That quote always cracks me up.

vCash
    I'm guessing your new to the NFL? You do realize teams discuss trade possibilities with one another.

vCash
    Go to an auction and watch the prices. You will see kinda often something go up 300% in price in the last 30 seconds of the auction after no major bids for the first 5 minutes. If they just take a player with that pick there is no chance for that phone to ring with someone calling with a deal. There is no chance to call someone back and say "I want a better deal than that or we are taking a player with this pick".

It isn't about knowing who you are going to pick. Teams know that the second their pick comes up. They've got their big boards finalized and names crossed off of who already has been taken. Short of jumping in on a run (like the DB one this year) or adjusting your board based on that, they know.

vCash
    They already cut the time from 15 to 10.

Teams near the top take time to milk the clock to get a trade lined up. Sometimes they need time to talk about the guys, even if they have a decision.

Also lets no forget the pick comes in and it takes sometimes 5-10 minutes for a player to walk up and do everything. Especially in the first round it takes that long from pick submitted, to pick announced.
    Coulson Lives

vCash
    it;'s fine the way it is now. it takes a while because the GMs are doing alot behind the scenes we dont see
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    The 1st pick is announced.... Then 2 min goes by before the next teams clock starts.... Then after 10 minutes of clock the "pick is in" and another 3-4 minutes go by. Then a slow walk by the commish for another 1 minute.

Each pick takes 14-16 minutes..... It took 70 minutes to get to the #5 pick.

vCash
    I love the whole process, I wouldn't change any of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    The 1st pick is announced.... Then 2 min goes by before the next teams clock starts.... Then after 10 minutes of clock the "pick is in" and another 3-4 minutes go by. Then a slow walk by the commish for another 1 minute.

Each pick takes 14-16 minutes..... It took 70 minutes to get to the #5 pick.
    thats not true at all. the next teams clock starts once the team before them has the pick in. thats why the clock never reads 10 minutes when they show it for the next team. the next team is already on the clock when the players are being shown on stage
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast