Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft

vCash

2014 MLB Draft

Considering the Pirates pick 24th, the draft will likely not be as interesting to us as it has been in year's past but still I was a bit surprised to see that it is only four weeks away. This is an important part of the Pirates ability to stay competitive in the future so we can't take any draft for granted.

Baseball America released its first mock draft today and has the Pirates selecting Kyle Schwarber. He is currently a catcher but there is basically no one who believe he can stick there and his future appears to be 1B or the corner outfield. He apparently comes with a polished bat and projects to hit in the middle of the order so his defensive position is of little importance. They also mention Michael Chavis as a possibility and say he could play 2B but is a candidate to be moved to catcher.

Pirates Prospects has a short story on it.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Don't expect much activity here but I thought I'd share this. It is an excellently done fan post that is a mock draft of the first 3 rounds.

vCash
    Baseball America has released an updated Top 100 list.

vCash
    Its an insider article so I don't have access to it but Keith Law of ESPN has his first mock draft up.

From Pirates Prospects we know he has the Bucs selecting Tyler Beede. Beede right now is usually placed in the middle of the first round so he'd have to slide some to get to the Pirates.

vCash
    Some more mocks:

Baseball America in their 2nd mock draft as Monte Harrison a toolsy prep outfielder falling to the Pirates

Jonathan Mayo of mlb.com has the Pirates selecting Casey Gillaspie a switch hitting college 1B with a big bat

vCash
    ANother mock draft to share, this one from Minor League Ball.

They have the Pirates selecting Max Pentecost a catcher from Kennesaw State

vCash
    When is the last time we drafted an infielder 2B / SS that could make an impact?

Unless I'm overlooking someone, I feel like we take exclusively outfielders, catchers and pitching.

vCash
    Assuming you mean just 1st round picks our last infielder was of course Pedro Alvarez. Our last middle infielder was technically Chad Hermansen. He was drafted as a SS but moved to OF. Mike Farris was drafted the year before that as a SS but never made the majors.

Jeff King played some 2B for the Pirates but was mainly a 3B. So I think if we are looking for a first round middle infielder who made an impact in the majors at a MI position we have to go all the way back to Dale Berra in 1975 and that may be stretching the definition of impact.

vCash
    Smart move by Neil Huntington to trade Bryan Morris for the Competitive Balance pick (# 39 overall, I believe) from the Marlins.. It does two things..

Gives the Pirates another top 50 pick in THIS draft..
    Gives the Pirates an additional $ 1.58 MM in their draft pool...

This from a guy who wasn't contributing.. much..if at all.. With the # 39 overall.. Perhaps the Pirates might find a SS that falls to that spot (Matt Chapman/Ti'Quan Forbes/Joey Pankake) that can actually play SS?...

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Smart move by Neil Huntington to trade Bryan Morris for the Competitive Balance pick (# 39 overall, I believe) from the Marlins.. It does two things..

This from a guy who wasn't contributing.. much..if at all.. With the # 39 overall.. Perhaps the Pirates might find a SS that falls to that spot (Matt Chapman/Ti'Quan Forbes/Joey Pankake) that can actually play SS?...

Thoughts?
    What about Alen Hanson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    What about Alen Hanson
    TBH... Even though he's still just 21 and at AA, Hanson strikes out way too much to be considered an elite prospect..at any position (at last count.. he was K'ing at around 20 to 25% of the time!). Because he's such a little guy, you'd think that contact would be his offensive game.. It's not.. He's David Spade in Tommy Boy while Chris Farley is putting on his coat/uniform.. He isn't that good at stealing bases even though he has the wheels to run.. His arm isn't that great (for accuracy and strength) and he may be better suited to be a 2B, anyway.. He's a guy that might make a career as a utility guy in the right situation.. or a starter if he gets a LOT better and grows/physically matures a lot in the next year or two.. The best part of his game is his ability to switch hit.. He's not that great at it.. but better than being tagged as a platoon utility guy..

Sorry for the bummer evaluation..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post

Thoughts?
    I'm not as low on Hanson as you are but I agree that it is likely going to be a stretch for him to stick at SS. Long term I think he'll become a solid starter at 2B. A SS could make sense with that pick but an idea I had is someone like Alex Blandino. That gives them an advanced college level 3B who could be ready before Pedro leaves.

vCash
    BA's 4th mock draft has the Pirates selecting Monte Harrison. He seems like a pretty popular selection for them there.

vCash
    B-66: Both Blandino and Harrison would be pretty good picks..provided the Neil and his group deem those guys the best players available.. There is just SO much pitching available in this draft that some sliding is going to pass bringing guys that would otherwise be unavailable to the Pirates..

W/R to Blandino.. solid choice.. excellent/soft hands.. bazooka for an arm.. has a bit of upper cut in his swing that portends more power than what has been seen in his prep/college/cape escapades... Would be a decent choice.

W/R to Monte Harrison.. he's Gregory Polanco level athletic.. has many of the same characteristics and traits.. Perhaps a better/more natural athlete..Has a gun for an arm and can run like the wind chasing down balls in the outfield.. His swing mechanics have a bit of length, but, he has a fast bat and keeps the barrel of the bat in the hitting zone for a LOONNNGGG time.. With good coaching..he could surpass even Polanco as the future CF'er on the Pirates.. He'd be a HUGE coup if he could be acquired on Thursday... imho...

vCash
    Yeah I'm liking what I have seen about Harrison too. Another outfielder doesn't fit our needs perfectly but we just need to keep stockpiling talent.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast