Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Jonas thread, get your Jonas here, buy 1 Jonas get 2 free

Talk about Jonas stuff here.

It's been rumored that Jonas is going to be working with Hakeem this off season. I say rumored because even though there's a link, it's to another forum which isn't a trustworthy source. So call it a rumor then.

Also since this is a thread about Jonas in general and not about him going to work with Hakeem, the mods can't close the thread.

Hopefully.
    Last edited by ink; 05-08-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: other forum name had to be removed

vCash
    I believe they mentioned it on tv too so yeah I guess he will be working with him.

But this thread is going to be pretty boring since your not really going to hear much about it...

vCash
    Working with Hakeem sounds great but there are countless NBA players that have trained with Hakeem but to never apply his learning in actual gameplay. Guys like Tyson Chandler, Javale Mcgee, Amare, even Rudy Gay.

Everyone should read this article from Grantland when you have a chance:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is...cked-up-to-be/

Below sumarizes it very well

It’s important to point out that Olajuwon was one of the most uniquely gifted athletes to ever put on an NBA jersey. Olajuwon played soccer as a youth in Nigeria, developing coordination, balance, agility, and impeccable footwork. This is why no big man in today’s NBA, most of whom solely play basketball from an early age, looks even remotely as fluid as Olajuwon once did.

Yet instead of tailoring his program to a player’s size, skill set, athleticism, and, maybe most importantly, the role he occupies on a team, Olajuwon attempts to teach only his signature post moves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Working with Hakeem sounds great but there are countless NBA players that have trained with Hakeem but to never apply his learning in actual gameplay. Guys like Tyson Chandler, Javale Mcgee, Amare, even Rudy Gay.

Everyone should read this article from Grantland when you have a chance:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is...cked-up-to-be/

Below sumarizes it very well
    Thanks for that link. Awesome that Ujiri has converted his connection wit Olajuwon like this.

Here's some background on Ujiri and Olajuwon in Nigeria - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12357612/

Just some backstory to the legendary C who will be working with Jonas this summer.

vCash
    Is Hakeem not employed by the Rockets?

vCash
    Here's the link BTW if you want it in the OP.

https://twitter.com/Eric__Smith/stat...44861308284928

vCash
    Didn't Drummond also train with him, and still has zero offensive skills other than grab the board and smash the ball in the hoop?

vCash
    tysone chandler and amare trained with hakeem later in there careers, after they were already who they were as players.

Jonas is extremely young and is like a sponge at this point. No ones saying he is going to develop the "Dream Shake" and be an unstoppable force on the offensive end. But working with a hof C like Hakeem certainly cant hurt his development in any way.

I think that this is a positive, and something I wanted to see done for Jonas. Why not give him every opportunity to help him succeed ? he is such a huge part of this teams future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    tysone chandler and amare trained with hakeem later in there careers, after they were already who they were as players.

Jonas is extremely young and is like a sponge at this point. No ones saying he is going to develop the "Dream Shake" and be an unstoppable force on the offensive end. But working with a hof C like Hakeem certainly cant hurt his development in any way.

I think that this is a positive, and something I wanted to see done for Jonas. Why not give him every opportunity to help him succeed ? he is such a huge part of this teams future.
    Completely agree. Plus keep in mind Jonas did some dancing when he was young. Might help him pick up some of the footwork.

vCash
    Hakeem Olajowon training Jonan V,not good idea. Dwight Howard looks lost.
    I Rather raptors go talk 2 Bill Laimbeer and get him 2 train JV

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Hakeem Olajowon training Jonan V,not good idea. Dwight Howard looks lost.
    I Rather raptors go talk 2 Bill Laimbeer and get him 2 train JV
    Dwight's missing ingredient is between the ears. IQ is one thing Jonas has plenty of.
    Last edited by ink; 05-08-2014 at 10:05 PM.

vCash
    LeBron's post game improve after working with Hakeem. Can't paint everyone with the same brush. Worth a try to see how Hakeem could help JV.

vCash
    Kobe and Lebron both developed elite post moves from Hakeem. I think it ultimately depends on the type of player you are and how much work you put in it. I wonder if Chandler went to improve on his post game or to work on his defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Kobe and Lebron both developed elite post moves from Hakeem. I think it ultimately depends on the type of player you are and how much work you put in it. I wonder if Chandler went to improve on his post game or to work on his defense.
    I think we will see a bigger immediate impact from Demar going to work with Hakeem this summer.

vCash
    I think Jonas should just work on his conditioning all summer. He spent last offseason bulking up, and got noticably fatigued after about 5 minutes of running up and down the floor. Sure he needs hand strength to hold onto the ball in traffic, but quickness is what he has on a lot of bigs. I want him to work on his athleticism. He should try to be more explosive so when he catches the ball around the rim he basket he can quickly finish above the rim with force.