Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How long before Dan Uggla is replaced at 2nd base?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • By Weeks End

1 16.67%
  • Two Weeks

2 33.33%
  • Three Weeks

2 33.33%
  • Won't Be

1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown

vCash

Countdown

How long before Dan Uggla is replaced?

vCash
    Looks like its starting tonight.

vCash
    Hopefully By Weeks End but probably never if FREDO has any say in it.

vCash
    it probably wont happen because of this sick love affair with him....bottom line is he's an overpaid bum...has been every since he put on a Braves jersey
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    ATLANTA -- When the Braves excluded Dan Uggla from their roster for last year's National League Division Series, they left themselves with no other choice but to spend this offseason attempting to trade him to a team willing to take on a portion of his remaining salary.

Once those attempts proved unsuccessful, they brought Uggla to Spring Training with the hope this year would prove to be much different than the previous two. There were some occasional signs of encouragement as the veteran second baseman hit .237 through his first 16 games of the regular season

But while batting .114 with a .188 on-base percentage in the 12 games that have followed, Uggla has seemingly exhausted all of the patience Atlanta showed him over the past two years.

After spending time this week evaluating the financial consequences, the Braves have moved away from the thought of releasing Uggla. But this decision does not necessarily provide clear indication of who might serve as their primary second baseman over the remainder of the season.

If the Braves released Uggla, they would still be responsible for the approximate $24 million he is owed through the end of the 2015 season. While the perspective might change over the next few weeks or months, it does not appear the club is comfortable with eating this large sum of money. But the Braves are every bit as uneasy about the prospect of remaining patient with Uggla, who has batted .185 with a .655 OPS in the 266 games he has played since June 1, 2012.

Even as he hit a career-low .179 and produced a career-high strikeout percentage (31.7) last year, Uggla provided some occasional value with 22 home runs. But through his first 112 plate appearances of this season, he has just five extra-base hits, which includes the two homers hit during an April 14 win in Philadelphia.

When asked what he thinks of his recent struggles, Uggla said, "I don't. I'm on the field to do my job. That's it."

Uggla has been out of the starting lineup for four of the past nine games, and it appears the Braves are planning to continue giving Ramiro Pena and Tyler Pastornicky time at second over the next couple of weeks.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez has not indicated how much he plans to use Uggla as he moves forward. Nor has he provided clear indication of whether he would be willing to platoon Pena, a switch-hitter, with the right-handed-hitting Pastornicky.

"We'll just see how it goes," Gonzalez said.

As they have averaged 1.8 runs per game while losing eight of their past nine, the Braves have discussed all of their options, including promoting No. 7 prospect Tommy La Stella, an offensively-sound second baseman who has the potential to provide a much-needed contact presence to Atlanta's free-swinging lineup.

La Stella has batted .306 with a .372 on-base percentage through his first 31 games this season with Triple-A Gwinnett. But Uggla's presence on the roster complicates the potential promotion of La Stella, who like Uggla, is limited to second base from a defensive perspective.

Carrying both Uggla and La Stella would likely force the Braves to option Pastornicky, who unlike the two aforementioned second basemen, possesses speed and defensive versatility -- a pair of qualities that strengthen Atlanta's bench.

Thus before promoting La Stella, the Braves might spend the next couple of weeks evaluating their second-base situation. Pena, who has hit .283 from the left side since the start of last year, will likely get a majority of the at-bats against right-handed pitchers.

While many fans have clamored for the Braves to promote La Stella , some of the club's veteran players have said they would rather first see the younger Pastornicky get a chance to prove whether he can be effective while getting regular time at second base.

Pastornicky is the better defensive option and the statistics (.292 batting average and .354 on-base percentage) he produced in 74 games with Gwinnett last year are similar to the numbers La Stella has compiled to date this season.

"You just try to be ready because in this game, you just never know what's going to happen," Pastornicky said. "When it's your turn, you want to be prepared and you want to be ready. I'll just continue to work hard and stay ready."

Well maybe soon, or La Estela or pastor-pena

vCash
    I would be fine with giving Rev some serious looks.

I also have a feeling Uggla is going to be a big baby about a demotion. He stalked about the playoff roster last fall. If I am right, ATL should just cut him. He adds no defensive value and if he isnt hitting....he could very well just be a clubhouse cancer if he is benched.

But give Rev a look before LaStella is called up.

vCash
    I agree. Guys that can't cut it no more are better cut than kept. I also agree with giving Rev his look 1st.

vCash
    How does Pastornicky compare with La Stella defensively? Who do you guys think is the faster player on the basepaths?
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    How long before Dan Uggla is replaced?
    Better questions, how long before half of our sorry KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK lineup is replaced? And how long before our hitting coach gets run over by a dumptruck?
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    LaStella is not good with the glove. So Rev is at least the same, if not better. Same with speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    I agree. Guys that can't cut it no more are better cut than kept. I also agree with giving Rev his look 1st.
    Rev is far superior on the basebaths. Better D worse O.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    Rev is far superior on the basebaths. Better D worse O.
    spot on, La Stella hasn't show any power in AAA, that makes him and Rev similar in terms of offensive value if you like OPS, but the thing is that La Stella is good in exactly what we need right now, a guy who doesn't strikeout take his walks and play second base, I would like to see Pastornicky play more often though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    spot on, La Stella hasn't show any power in AAA, that makes him and Rev similar in terms of offensive value if you like OPS, but the thing is that La Stella is good in exactly what we need right now, a guy who doesn't strikeout take his walks and play second base, I would like to see Pastornicky play more often though.
    So La Stella doesn't strikeout much like Simba but will take walks more than him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    So La Stella doesn't strikeout much like Simba but will take walks more than him?
    That seems to be the case, lets compare those two players:

Simmons: .299/.352/.397 6.2 BB% 7.4 K%
    La Stella: .323/.407/.475 11.1 BB% 8.7 K%

La Stella is older than what Simmons was when he put up those numbers, Simmons was 22 at AA, La Stella started his professional career at 22 but nonetheless La Stella walked almost twice as Simmons in his minor league career and his K% are similar, Simmons K% has translated quite nicely to the majors and we can expect the same to happen with La Stella and you can somehow expect the same from his BB%, probably it will take a hit but not that much. His 11.1 BB% would have place him 28th in the Majors last year and that's incredible high for a non-power hitter. Even if that number goes down 20% the number will be 8.88 BB% and that would have been 4th on the team last year (Uggla was first, but that won't happen again) his 11.1 BB% would have been third, behind Uggla and Upton. If he can keep a BB% close to 10 it will be great because that's what we need near the top of the lineup.

vCash
    If we would cut Uggla we could platoon La Stella and Pastor and 2nd and have Pena for utility. Another player that may need to come up is Todd Cunningham. I believe he could be a better 4th outfield option than Jordan Schafer. His ability to get on base must have been a fluke at the beginning of the year last year. Since his foot injury he has not been the same player. Plus Cunningham is a switch hitter so he offers versatility as well. Not the same speed as Schafer but could be an upgrade on the bench. I've always liked Schafer and maybe he turns it around but if not TC would be a good replacement in my mind. Just my .02 cents worth.
    Last edited by baseballislife7; 05-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast