Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

BREAKING: Hextall to GM, Holmgren to President

I put this in the off-season discussion thread as well, but if you guys want it to be separate, here it is.

Live press conference at 11:30am.

vCash

Sports fans check out my website www.teamtakeum.com NFL ATS picks posted here

vCash

2012(3) Football Season. Bring It. (Let's Go.)

vCash
    Well this is a start of a move that we all pretty much assumed / thought / hoped. Its yet to be seen how much control Hexy will have in roster moves and acquisitions and what not but it is a step in the right direction.

There goes my theory of Homer blowing up our team. I thought for sure Homer was going to go out in a bang and do something like Couts + 2014 1st + 2015 1st + Hagg for Weber .....I really have this weird feeling that he / we are making a big play for Weber this offseason. Nashville owners group have already said how much it has crippled them for future moves and signings...

But this is a great move in the right direction. Great to see Eddie still has a brain in his old age. Wonder if it was him or moreless Homers idea...Still mad respect for Homer for at least trying while keeping us competitive and younger the whole time... There was just always 1-2 pieces missing

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the fact that Hextall came here after so many years under Dean Lombardi in LA. He comes with a winning pedigree.

That said, he's always been a Flyer. Two stints here as a player, joined the front office immediately after and was here until 2006.

My hope is that he looks to change the thought process of the front office. More or less do what they've been doing more of the past 2 years: build through the draft, develop your young players, add pieces around the core instead of blowing it up every year.

I'm interested to watch this press conference to see what his main points/ideas are on moving forward.

We all knew it was going to be an interesting off-season; this is just the beginning.

vCash
    ^^^^ exactly what im hoping for.. The news conference will be telling as to how much control he will have over Homer. I just always felt too nervous during trade deadline / FA / offseason with Homer. Hexy will bring control and equality here. None of that deceiving pull the wool over your eyes type of style. I hope we sign within...esp since there is NO attractive FA defenseman out there. I mean Boyle but heck he will command a hefty contract and try for the longest term possible as hes at the end of his road. And I dont know if Kimmo will be back or not. I guess we roll with Coburn - Streit - Macdonald - Schenn - Grossman - Gus........ maybe Lauridsen / Hagg get the call up... Maybe we bring Gostibehere right away??? I dunno man guess the bottom half of this post can go in offseason lol

Press conference will tell a lot

vCash
    "All hockey decisions fall on Ron, he has the first and final`say" - Homer.

Homer also said that this was in place since December, Homer wanted to "step up" and no longer become a GM. This is not Hexys team and he said this is my "DREAM JOB" He wants in the worst way to bring Lord Stanley back here. Home also said that Ron will probably have questions, questions regarding conversations hes has with other GMs regarding trades and players. so there will be some questions from Hexy that Homer said that he will be absolutely happy to answer. but its 100% Hexys team

Hexy said - "I like young players and I like building through the draft, it doesnt mean we wont make trades or trades for players. If its a good enough player and we have to trade a young player we will look at that. But its not a vision of mine to trade young players for older players, it would have to be a really really strong deal for us."

vCash
    Hexy said all the right things today. Build from within, develop young players, accumulate draft picks and develop those draft picks.

He even discussed using advanced analytics, which IMO is huge for this team and an area in which they are severely lacking.

Now we just have to hope that Hexy practices what he preaches and that he is truly given the auhtority to do so.

vCash
    Less than a week ago, Homer said he intended to remain GM. How quickly things change.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Time will only tell... but he has a good track record and got mentored by IMO some of the best out there...

vCash
    "I think the hardest part is wanting to put young players in the lineup," Hextall said.

"If a player doesn't come into training camp and really show you something, he probably needs more time. Tell me one young player in the history of hockey that's been hurt by spending some time in the minors. I can tell you there are hundreds and hundreds that have been hurt by coming into the NHL too soon."

"I really like our group of forwards," Hextall said. "Whether it's a perfect fit, that's one thing I tend to look at is the lines and how it fits. We had a lot of guys move around the lineup this year. I'd like to find one or two guys who are a little better fits, but I don't know if that will be out there or not. That will be one priority. On defense, we'd like to upgrade, but I'm not gonna do something rash to upgrade short term."

This is a really beautiful thing. Really happy with what he had to say today.

Man, is it an exciting time to be a Philadelphia fan. Eagles, Sixers, and Flyers all have HUGE off-seasons and they're all occurring around the same time.

vCash
    . I actually don't see this as any thing other than a title change. Both of these guys have been working together for a year. If anything, I see this as a way to 1) make change seem apparent without there actually being change and 2) keeping other teams from sniffing around Hextall as their own GM. I assume the relationship remains as it was last year, maybe with Hextall with a little extra say, but I think they're title-raises and everything else remains relatively unchanged.

They did this in Chicago with the Cubs. Theo Epstein was given the President/CEO job and Hoyer the GM, yet it's apparent Epstein is the guy in charge, and Hoyer is his counterpart. I see this relationship in the same regards.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I was mostly happy with Homer as a GM, so I'm not too worried regardless.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    . I actually don't see this as any thing other than a title change. Both of these guys have been working together for a year. If anything, I see this as a way to 1) make change seem apparent without there actually being change and 2) keeping other teams from sniffing around Hextall as their own GM. I assume the relationship remains as it was last year, maybe with Hextall with a little extra say, but I think they're title-raises and everything else remains relatively unchanged.

They did this in Chicago with the Cubs. Theo Epstein was given the President/CEO job and Hoyer the GM, yet it's apparent Epstein is the guy in charge, and Hoyer is his counterpart. I see this relationship in the same regards.

We'll know once the off-season truly gets under way whether Homer is still in charge or not.

It's one of the reasons I am cautiously optimistic.

What does make me think changes are coming is Hextall's talk of using advanced analytics and statistics, and his insistence that the blue line is key to success. Homer never mentioned any use of advanced stats throughout his tenure here.

vCash
    It's a good move for the organization....Hopefully we won't see many hard-to-move contracts anymore (i.e. NMC's and NTC's)...

Hextall wants to build from within. They did it for the most part in LA with their core players (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown, Voynov), eventually adding players that made them Stanley Cup champions and are allowing them to stay in contention for another title....Philadelphia has had a track record of letting their young players go to early in their careers before they become established in the league (Sharp, Williams, hell even Zubrus, etc)....

I thought Homer would hang on to the job for one more draft....maybe make a big splash at the draft with a bold move or two....now, with Hexy at the helm, I don't think that would happen....he's going to let things play out and make evaluations on players on his own time and mold this roster in the next year or two...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast