Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Mo' Praise for Pedroia

In his soon-to-be released book, “The Closer,” former Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera states that he would choose Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia over Rivera’s former teammate Robinson Cano, suggesting that Cano still hasn’t exhibited the kind of will to excel needed to be separated from the pack.

In an excerpt published by the New York Daily News, Rivera writes of Cano, “This guy has so much talent I don’t know where to start. There is no doubt that he is a Hall of Fame caliber (player). It’s just a question of whether he finds the drive you need to get there. I don’t think Robby burns to be the best … You don’t see that red-hot passion in him that you see in most elite players.”

The former Yankees closer then goes on to praise Pedroia.

“Nobody plays harder, gives more, wants to win more. He comes at you hard for 27 outs. It’s a special thing to see,” Rivera writes. He later adds, “If I have to win one game, I’d have a hard time taking anybody over Dustin Pedroia as my second baseman.”
    weei.com

vCash
    He is right. If Robby put more effort into it he would be so much better.

vCash
    I agree with Rivera. Cano's the better player but Pedroia brings more intangibles to the game than what Cano does.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.