Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Comparing Isiah's/Rodman's Racist Comments To Sterling's Racist Comments

Back in 1987, both Dennis Rodman and Isiah Thomas made racist comments about Larry Bird following a loss in the playoffs to the Celtics. They both said that if Larry Bird was black, people wouldn't consider him one of the best players in the NBA and that he would just be another good player. Fast forward to 2014, where Donald Sterling makes racist comments about Magic Johnson and how white and Latino women shouldn't be seen with black men in public.

Both comments were extremely and equally asinine assiten and foolish, yet no one was demanding Zeke's head or Rodman's for that matter. No one was demanding that they leave the NBA the same way they are demanding for Sterling to leave. In fact, Isiah even got a job as GM for one of the biggest markets in the NBA years later.

Is there a double standard when it comes to racist comments made at either blacks or whites? Shouldn't both sets of comments garner equal backlash and or punishment? How come Isiah and Rodman are not looked upon as Villian's for the comments they made against Larry Bird (who is a much better player than both BTW) while Sterling is being treated as the incarnation of evil for his? Discuss...

BTW, just want to clarify that in no way do I condone the comments made by Sterling. He is a piece of **** and deserves everything he is getting.

vCash
    Racism towards whites has always and will always be more accepted than racism towards blacks.

#wankfortiggins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDubs View Post
    Racism towards whites has always and will always be more accepted than racism towards blacks.
    Some might call this racist lol...

vCash
    Pretty crazy how Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were at the center of both sets of comments 27 years apart. Just shows how much of an impact both players had.

vCash
    While racism is NEVER an apples to oranges thing, there indeed are certain things that on the surface are identical, but for illogical reasons they don't stir up the same trouble. And ThaDubs is right, partially why those statements won't be seen as a black/white statement is because it was a statement made by a minority in regards to the majority. The majority wouldn't respond in the same way.

But mostly the reasons why the comparison between the two brought about different results, well actually two reasons are: (1) in 1987, there was no social media (2) society has become SOOOOOOOO politically correct that seriously ANYTHING said about anybody gets viewed as a condescending and hateful remark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Back in 1987, both Dennis Rodman and Isiah Thomas made racist comments about Larry Bird following a loss in the playoffs to the Celtics. They both said that if Larry Bird was black, people wouldn't consider him one of the best players in the NBA and that he would just be another good player. Fast forward to 2014, where Donald Sterling makes racist comments about Magic Johnson and how white and Latino women shouldn't be seen with black men in public.

Both comments were extremely and equally asinine assiten and foolish, yet no one was demanding Zeke's head or Rodman's for that matter. No one was demanding that they leave the NBA the same way they are demanding for Sterling to leave. In fact, Isiah even got a job as GM for one of the biggest markets in the NBA years later.

Is there a double standard when it comes to racist comments made at either blacks or whites? Shouldn't both sets of comments garner equal backlash and or punishment? How come Isiah and Rodman are not looked upon as Villian's for the comments they made against Larry Bird (who is a much better player than both BTW) while Sterling is being treated as the incarnation of evil for his? Discuss...

BTW, just want to clarify that in no way do I condone the comments made by Sterling. He is a piece of **** and deserves everything he is getting.
    ahahahahahahahahhahaha.....and another one

vCash
    OH yeah back in 74, I knew a guy who new a guy who said......please give it a rest guys. Handle them as they come. If you were still in diapers leave it alone cause you don't even know or understand the climate back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    OH yeah back in 74, I knew a guy who new a guy who said......please give it a rest guys. Handle them as they come. If you were still in diapers leave it alone cause you don't even know or understand the climate back then.
    I doubt you were even born when those comments were made. What about the fact that Isiah landed a job as the GM of the New York Knicks only but a short time ago. Kinda puts you argument about political climates in perspective doesn't it. Oh and there is the fact that one was made in a public forum and the other tape recorded in private. What have you to say about that?

Oh and ya still don't know hoops.

vCash
    BTW... I was out of diapers for a good amount of years back in 87.

vCash
    Now a days political correctness, especially in business, is more apparent.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions:
    Yards:
    Tds:

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Those aren't racist comments, they are comments about the white bias in sports.

They are suggesting that white players are more celebrated than black players. So Players can't speak to issues of race without being called racist?

When those comments were made, I understood where they were coming from, and it was a conversation worth having. Bird WAS an AMAZING player, and even had he been Black he would have been celebrated, but I think the point was is that he wouldn't have been AS celebrated had he been 'of colour'. You gotta remember, people back then were all about McHale and Bird when they talked about the Celtics, and I remember Ainge getting more props than DJ. DJ and Robert Parish were HUGELY important to the Celtics winning, but in Boston, they didn't get the kind of press Bird and McHale got, or even nationally for that matter.

By 1988 Magic had won FIVE championships to Bird's three,but Bird had three MVP awards to Magic's one (though Magic won a second). Bird deserved all of those awards, but just as is the case every season, there are multiple players deserving of the award, and Magic was certainly one of them. Given his success, doesn't it seem odd that Bird would have three times as many MVPs at a point when Magic had almost double the championships?

It's like Nash being a two-time MVP and Kobe only having one. Nash deserved them, but at the same time, I think most will agree that white players are treated better by the media, even still today.

I believe, for example, that had Chris Paul been white, he'd have an MVP award by now for his time in LA. He helped them to a huge turnaround his first year, and hellped them improve the year after. This is the kind of thing that Nash did, but CP3 did by ALSO playing elite defense.

Yes, black athletes are celebrated, but if a guy like Tim Duncan, or Chris Paul were white, don't you think they would be more celebrated in the media than they currently are?

Rodman and Thomas were right to raise the issue. I wouldn't take anything away from what Bird did on the court or any of the accolades he earned, but he would have had a harder time earning them had he been black. I get the feeling that had Bird been black and Magic been white, Magic would have more career MVP awards.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 05-06-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    The problem was they were comments about someone based on race. Sterlings were 30 years of comments AND actions to hold down against a race. That is the difference. Isiah didn't say Bird can't come to NBA games and have the power to enforce that. He didn't evict and prohibit white people from living in his housing developments.

vCash
    Why is this a thread???? I don't know if saying Larry Bird was black he wouldn't considered the one of the best players to ever play racist. That's pretty much the same as saying would Eminem be is popular if he was Black? Or if Tiger Woods was white would he be as popular or looked at differently? Its popular to be successful in something that's not the norm for that particular race. Its not like they said I don't want him in the league. Im not sure if those comments are necessarily racist, not cool but not racist. Yes there is a double standard when it comes to racist remarks by race, everyone knows this its not new. Since whites are usually in a place of power it holds more weight. Until that changes its going to be that way suck it up and move on...
    49ers, Warriors, SF Giants, Sharks lol SMH

vCash
    does it really need to be said? Like the use of the N word... Only black people can do it .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    does it really need to be said? Like the use of the N word... Only black people can do it .
    And only white people can use the H word. ahahahahahahahaha

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast