Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Is the Mid-Range Game Dying?

Some say its a inefficient shot. Lots of college kids don't even practice it any more. It's pretty much three's or nothing. Is the long or mid range two gradually fading out?

Who are your current favorite mid range players?

I'm rolling with:

Lamarcus Aldridge
    Joe Johnson
    Derrick Rose
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwayne Wade

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    it will never entirely die out, but yes, it is the most inefficient shot in the game, the "long" 2. Why on earth would you shoot a 19 footer, when you can back up a few feet and get another point, or get a closer shot at the rim?

Old School fans (I am 38, I am old school), need to realize, if they haven't already, that efficiency is the key.

Players do practice it, but even in 1991, when I was in 9th grade, my coach told me not to shoot a shot right inside the 3 point line, that doesn't make any sense.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Why do ppl overrate Dwade's midrange game. Wade is a pure slasher. And smh at putting Drose on the list

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    I fear that you are right, even though I don't agree with the thinking. I always felt like a good shot is a good shot, that's something stats can't really dictate, it's the flow of the game.

vCash
    Well is just one among other things that are dying like the hook shot, or the "blackboard" shoot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MTL View Post
    Why do ppl overrate Dwade's midrange game. Wade is a pure slasher. And smh at putting Drose on the list
    Rose was a very good mid range shooter before he decided to believe he was a three point shooter
    1. You're reading my signature.
    2. Now you're saying/thinking that's a stupid fact.
    4. You didn't notice that I skipped 3.
    5. You're checking it now.
    6. You're smiling.
    7. You're still reading my signature.
    8. You know all you have read is true.
    10. You didn't notice that i skipped 9.
    11. You're checking it now.
    12. You think this is a clever signature.
    13. You're still reading.
    14. Why are you still reading?
    15. You ignore my question.

vCash
    Chris Paul is a deadly mid range shooter. That's his bread and butter
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    it will never entirely die out, but yes, it is the most inefficient shot in the game, the "long" 2. Why on earth would you shoot a 19 footer, when you can back up a few feet and get another point, or get a closer shot at the rim?

Old School fans (I am 38, I am old school), need to realize, if they haven't already, that efficiency is the key.

Players do practice it, but even in 1991, when I was in 9th grade, my coach told me not to shoot a shot right inside the 3 point line, that doesn't make any sense.
    Mid range and long 2 are not the same thing.

Mid range is like 12-16/17 feet. Long 2 is 18-20/21 ft.

vCash
    On paper it is a really inefficient shot, but in reality, it can be a weapon. Would you take an open three over an open 19'? Of course anyone would rather back up a couple steps and get the extra point, but that's not the entire story. Especially in the playoffs, when teams actually start to defend, is an open mid range jumper by a good shooter really a more inefficient shot than an out of control layup or contested 3.

I've always been a fan of the midrange, because that's where I lived in high school. I've seen the charts and understand the concepts of efficiency of shots, but a good mid range game can be deadly, especially in the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownbulls:28434868
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MTL View Post
    Rose was a very good mid range shooter before he decided to believe he was a three point shooter
    I agree but nowadays Rose def doesnt look towards his midrange game. And also considering he has played 10 games in 2 years, I wouldnt put him top 5 in anything

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    this comes down to predictability. why is Kobes % under what you would expect in closing seconds of ball games? because everyone knows he's getting the ball and the defenses adjust accordingly. same deal with these threes, when a defense knows a team is excessively bullish on threes and has a philosophy that preaches against mid range shots, it makes the threes easier to defend because it becomes a bigger point of focus. the key to efficiency is keeping defenses guessing and not allowing them to be able to predict your offense.

not dying but is being marginalized at the moment. we have a generation of players who played video games where you tried to dunk it or go for three. we have an analytics movement that emphasizes efficiency; call it the experimental era, it'll stick around if it proves to be successful. the midrange game will never disappear because properly reading what the defense is giving you and going with the natural flow of the game will keep it around. teams gauge their defenses to defend the paint and the three point line. that leaves the mid range available and open. the mid range game is like spearing a knight under the arm where the armor is weak. there's nothing inefficient about a wide open 15 foot basket when you are a shooting ace. Steve Nash tony parker and dozens of other elite players have made a career out of it.

the houston rockets and golden state warriors are first round busts, two teams oriented around three's and paint baskets exclusively.

it'd be hard to convince me that reading defenses, exploiting what they give you, and having a reliable mid range game will ever not have a place in the NBA. ideally you balance your game and have players who allow you to be a well rounded basketball team that can spread the floor, hit open jumpers and attack the basket. force feeding 3's when they defend the three point line well isn't efficient basketball either.
    Last edited by Bruno; 05-05-2014 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    It has been since 1979
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions: 87
    Yards: 1,207
    Tds: 10

vCash
    No it's not. Yes the long 2 is the most inefficient shot but it's still a weapon that can still be utilize

If your team is 10/32 from 3 compare to a team that's 15/26 from 2 then I'm picking the later. Yes you get 10 extra points from the 3 ball but your most likely giving the other team more opportunities to score because team A is missing so many 3 point shots

vCash
    Moreyball.

It will never die, but I think teams and even players are realizing that it's not always the most efficient shot.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    I fear that you are right, even though I don't agree with the thinking. I always felt like a good shot is a good shot, that's something stats can't really dictate, it's the flow of the game.
    yeah but stats do dictate it. I realize in the flow of the game, the midrange shot will never be gone, but players are being hounded now that it just isn't a great shot to take.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast