Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

My NO Trade Final mock

This is my no trade draft and the talent must be within ranger according to CBS draft and others.

#29 Dee Ford DE Auburn 6-2 252 4.59 40 29 reps at 225

Incredible combination of speed and strength and has the one thing nobody can measure which is incredible heart and determination. Needs experience at DE in NFL but is a n instant upgrade as a pass rusher in passing downs.He is a hybrid OLB and DE and has flexibility to play either position along with the speed and strength. AN instant upgrade to the pass rush.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...65025/dee-ford

#62 Dominic Easley DT Florida 6-2 288

Two ACL surgeries drop him from a top 15 draft pick to here and he is worth the risk. He is the energizer bunny on steroids on the field. Easily the most explosive player in the draft, if healthy, and that includes Clowney. There is a time and a place to take a risk on a furture superstar and Easley at #62 is it. He dominated SEC guards and tackles so size is not an issue. Very strong and exceptionally quick. Another interior upgrade to pass rush. Put him next to Vince and watch the havoc.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...minique-easley

#93 Tevin Smith Florida State OLB 6-3 218 4.47 40

That hybrid LB, CB, Safety BB has been looking for since Rodney. The only thing with Smith is convincing him playing a combo safety DB is beneficial to his career and I think BB can do that and if he does this kid starts day one beside McCourty. Elite speed, loose hips, tough as nails,very hard worker, pushes himself etc.. As a linebacker he is limited at 218 but as a safety/DB hybrid Mr Smith could bring us to the promised land. A leader on an off the field and seemingly high character kid. He just needs to know what is best for him and BB can convince him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...0/telvin-smith

#127 Travis Swanson Arkansas C 6-5 312

A good value pick here and someone who could press Wendell for playing minutes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...travis-swanson

#140 Colt Lyerla TE 6-4 242 4.56

Here I make my risk pick of the draft and I do it now because quite bluntly talent wise nobody in this draft is close to Lyerla. Without his off the field issues he is a top 15 pick and to be blunt Ebron could not carry his gym bag to the field. He is compared to Gronk and if he gets straightened out is a lock all-pro tight end according to Rob Rang.

He can play the the move or classic TE and is an excellent blocker. His off the field issues are fixable and Pats have taken chances on kids with these issues before and they should here. He could hang out with Gronk and learn one can be goofy, nuts and enjoy life without junk.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...35/colt-lyerla

#198 Taylor Gaffney Stanford RB 6-0 220 4.49

Another body for backfield rotation

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../tyler-gaffney

#206 Richard Rogers Stanford TE 6-4 257

An interesting prospect who is team first.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...ichard-rodgers

#222 Glenn Carson Penn State ILB 6-3 238

Solid backup at ILB for Hightower

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...5/glenn-carson

vCash
    I'd be more than happy with that draft. Obviously there are some other areas I'd like to see addressed but we don't have unlimited picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    The Patriots signed Will Smith so I'm not sure they would use a first rounder on another DE

vCash
    Have to agree with Bledrules...while it's not quite a full house they have a good group of D-linemen now with Smith signed...of course it could be a smokescreen but I don't think it is.

Good mock though...briz will love seeing Telvin Smith....Dee Ford has been in the bottom of the 1st - top of the 2nd mix for a while now but I think I might go with Marcus Smith because he's more like Jamie Collins and has been rising. Anyway I think I'll try rolling the dice with my final "final mock" this year and Smith fits that bill.

vCash
    I like Marcus Smith in the second round and thought long and hard between Easley or Smith. I would be very happy with either one but if Easley is healthy he is a superstar.

vCash
    I think the Will Smith signing means that they are gonna go WR/TE in the 1st rd and maybe DL in the second. But I keep having a feeling that they are gonna try and trade up, trying to fill holes/add depth with free agent signings, so they dont need to do it thru the draft

vCash
    I have said it before. The only player in this draft I would trade up for is Ryan Shazier because I think he is that special. We need depth at LB but Shazier is so much more than a linebacker. He can cover the TE, RB or even big wide receivers and he is super intelligent.

The physically most gifted TE in this draft is a drug addict from Oregon. He blows all of them off the field but the problem is can a team clean him up. If Pats do draft Lyerla and they get him to play football they will have a second all-pro TE and Ron Rang agrees with me on that. The question is, "will he clean up?"

According to Glazer of Fox Sports only Mettenburg and Jernigan failed drug tests at the combine and Lyerla was at the combine which indicates he might be trying to clean up his act. That 4.56 40 is good and he is special/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rehone View Post
    I have said it before. The only player in this draft I would trade up for is Ryan Shazier because I think he is that special. We need depth at LB but Shazier is so much more than a linebacker. He can cover the TE, RB or even big wide receivers and he is super intelligent.

The physically most gifted TE in this draft is a drug addict from Oregon. He blows all of them off the field but the problem is can a team clean him up. If Pats do draft Lyerla and they get him to play football they will have a second all-pro TE and Ron Rang agrees with me on that. The question is, "will he clean up?"

According to Glazer of Fox Sports only Mettenburg and Jernigan failed drug tests at the combine and Lyerla was at the combine which indicates he might be trying to clean up his act. That 4.56 40 is good and he is special/
    I would love to have Shazier for the same reasons you mentioned. He could be an impact player as a rookie. This would go a long way toward filling holes/situations in the LB's. That is my #1.

I would be happy with either TE Niklas/Jenkins as a second pick.

My take on risk players depends on the particular risk for that individual player. Easly for me would be a 3rd round at best and that is only if I had 2 thirds. He has potential but 2 ACL's, one on each side, and one a non contact, he also was limited one season with an ankle, throw in being undersized for the position is to big of a risk for us. I don't know if the kid had the benefit of a James Andrews type surgeon so that concerns me even more. We have 3 DT's coming off problems as it is.

My third would be a C either Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg.

In the 4th I'm going back to LB. Christian Kirksey or Jordan Tripp.

Lyerla is an effing idiot as you already stated. If a guy can't see millions of reasons to not be an idiot he is a 6th or 7th at best in a perfect world, a lot of teams have him off their boards. Plus we are still eating the hernandez cap for a questionable character player. That being said the fool definitely, definitely, has talent and I may whore myself to my 2nd pick in the 4th round.
    Last edited by captmike; 05-06-2014 at 05:45 PM.

vCash
    i think kirksey is a strong possibility

vCash
    great mock rehone. really similar to mine except for a few players. the positions and order are nearly identical lool. id prefer crichton or ealy over Ford but i understand why you want ford for the passrush which makes sense. hes also got a nice competative chip on his shoulder. just think hes undersized for 4-3 de.

i know you wanted shazier but it seems like he wont be on the board. a small tradeup is possible.

vCash
    Briz

We are all just guessing. I liked your mock also and I wish someone would step up and take Mallett for a 3rd rounder. I am very high on both Telvin Smith and Colt Lyerla. Lyerla is hands down the best athlete at TE and his drug screen was clean at combine. 6-4+ 245 and 4.56 and he is an excellent blocker and is a "complete" tight end like Gronk gives me shivers thinking if the destruction those two could cause with 6-3 Dobson on the along with our two slot receivers.

Smith is one of the more intriguing players in the draft to me. He is a leader and student of the game and aggressive along with very fast and a good tackler. FSU had him play everywhere and he even covered receivers several times. He is also a good blitzer. He has better hips than 95% of the CBs in the draft. To me Smith, Shazier, and Lyerla after Clowney where and are the physical freaks of this draft so I want Pats to take them. We did this with Jamie Collins last year and we hit a homerun.

If healthy Easley is another freak because he has no off switch. He plays 100 mph on every play and is a great kid to boot. He could be the steal of the draft if fully recovered.

vCash
    I have a lot of inside info on Lyerla, and I would be shocked if the Pats go after him. He has huge problems and needs people watching his every move to make sure he isn't making a mistake. This is a guy with even more baggage than Aaron Hernandez had coming out of Florida. Lyerla doesn't respond to authority figures well (due to a bad upbringing), and still has not taken accountability for his actions that led to him parting ways with Oregon.

The sad thing is that he probably is the most talented tight end in the draft. I heard from friends that he started working out for the combine a week and a half out. He still put up great numbers, but he isn't invested in being great. Maybe Belichick can fix him, but Chip didn't get him to ever fully buy in and Lyerla would likely clash under the same structure. I would not be surprised if he goes undrafted.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    I have a lot of inside info on Lyerla, and I would be shocked if the Pats go after him. He has huge problems and needs people watching his every move to make sure he isn't making a mistake. This is a guy with even more baggage than Aaron Hernandez had coming out of Florida. Lyerla doesn't respond to authority figures well (due to a bad upbringing), and still has not taken accountability for his actions that led to him parting ways with Oregon.

The sad thing is that he probably is the most talented tight end in the draft. I heard from friends that he started working out for the combine a week and a half out. He still put up great numbers, but he isn't invested in being great. Maybe Belichick can fix him, but Chip didn't get him to ever fully buy in and Lyerla would likely clash under the same structure. I would not be surprised if he goes undrafted.
    The interesting thing is Lyerla was clean for the combine which shows some caring and he has tried to make up with Oregon staff for what that is worth cause his loss really screwed that team. I'm a mother so I kind of believe in redemption and second chances and sometimes one just has to roll the dice and besides Lyerla is not a gang banger like Hernandez, he is just a kid who was treated like **** when he was a kid. I feel for children like that because I would kill before I would ever let anyone harm one of my children.

It is sad to see a life wasted and particularly one like Lyerla's so whether Pats draft him or someone else does I am rooting for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rehone View Post
    The interesting thing is Lyerla was clean for the combine which shows some caring and he has tried to make up with Oregon staff for what that is worth cause his loss really screwed that team. I'm a mother so I kind of believe in redemption and second chances and sometimes one just has to roll the dice and besides Lyerla is not a gang banger like Hernandez, he is just a kid who was treated like **** when he was a kid. I feel for children like that because I would kill before I would ever let anyone harm one of my children.

It is sad to see a life wasted and particularly one like Lyerla's so whether Pats draft him or someone else does I am rooting for him.
    Some of what you are saying is pretty accurate. From what I have heard, Colt won't be able to grow up unless his Mom is out of the picture. One of the main reasons for his total implosion this year was due to his Mom moving to Eugene. Colt was always a huge distraction, but his Mom's presence evidently made it way worse. I hope he turns it around, but I just have a hard time believing he will be dedicated to being great with the people he has around him and his mentality towards authority figures.