Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rafael Montero called up; Mejia to the bullpen(Post#135)

Despite his second straight start in which he imploded the third time through the lineup, Jenrry Mejia is still scheduled to start Friday against the Phillies, but Terry Collins said there has “always,” been a conversation about the right-hander going back to the bullpen.

“Especially when you have starts 5 innings, 4, and five innings,” the Mets manager said, “it’s always in the conversation.”

There are some in the organization who feel that is where Mejia belongs. Opposing batters are hitting .160 the first time through the lineup against him, .239 the second time and .438 the third time through.

“That profiles as a reliever,” one team source said. “He’d be a strong back-of-the bullpen guy.”
    There has long been a debate about Mejia as reliever vs. starter. The 24-year old has made it very clear he prefers to start and in spring training, the Mets said that is how they planned to use him.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz30q7Pac5k

The Mets need a long-term solution at closer and Jenrry Mejia fits the profile, so how about it?
    “It’s always in the conversation,” manager Terry Collins said before the Mets beat the Rockies 5-1 on Sunday.

For now, the job still belongs to Kyle Farnsworth, who surrendered a two-run, game-ending homer to Charlie Culberson in the ninth inning on Saturday.

Farnsworth, who did not pitch Sunday, has allowed at least one run in four of his last five appearances and is deemed a stopgap at closer until the Mets can find a better option.

The fact Mejia hasn’t survived past the fifth inning in each of his last two starts has opened the debate as to whether he’s better suited for working from the bullpen. The Mets are also monitoring Mejia’s innings, and a relief role would put him in better position to finish the season with the club.

Farnsworth is the Mets’ third closer this season. Bobby Parnell lasted one game before undergoing Tommy John surgery and Jose Valverde struggled in the role, giving Farnsworth the chance.

Collins has also mentioned Daisuke Matsuzaka as a possibility to close games. The manager was asked if Farnsworth’s leash is longer than Valverde’s because the Mets don’t have anybody else on the roster with closing experience.

“I wish I had an answer for you,” Collins said. “Right now Kyle is going to close. If he can, he’s going to be the closer.”
    http://nypost.com/2014/05/04/mets-yo...ting-practice/

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash

‘Closer’ call for Mejia?

I'm on board with this once we call one of the kids up to start

vCash
    I still think Meija can start. But he needs to work on his stamina.

I like Dice K as the closer.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I don't think they'll let Mejia close (arbitration cost reasons) Definitely should finish the year in high leverage bullpen situations though. Hate the idea of him runninig out of innings before August. I like the idea of having him, Torres, and Dice-K taking turns giving us 2-3 innings in the pen in tight games.

vCash
    I been opposed to yo yoing this kid so much, so gain to do this to him once more is stupid IMO.

Let him start and just leave him alone, why add something more for him to worry about?

vCash
    This is another example of Collins saying too much to the media even if is the case.

vCash
    I am going to Friday's game, I hope Mejia has a strong outing

vCash
    A lot of young players will get hammered the third time through the order early in their career. That doesn't make you a reliever automatically. It means he has to keep pitching and learn to adjust.

They should leave the kid alone and not make any premature changes to the current plan - especially not after anything that happened in Colorado, which is for all intents and purposes data you should not interpret and make extrapolations from.

That place and that offense are an aberration right now. Let's see how the rest of the month goes.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    To be fair he had issues his start before, but I would make such a move if this becomes a trend.

vCash
    I was a proponent of Mejia starting out in the BP so he could stretch out his arm and gain innings. He pitched well enough to earn a starting role, so he still should be given 2-3 more starts to right the ship in his current role.

Mejia has shown that he can ultimately be an effective starter. Whether or not his arm is ready to pitch 6+ innings every 5 days right now, is still to be determined.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    I don't think they'll let Mejia close (arbitration cost reasons) Definitely should finish the year in high leverage bullpen situations though. Hate the idea of him runninig out of innings before August. I like the idea of having him, Torres, and Dice-K taking turns giving us 2-3 innings in the pen in tight games.
    If that's the reason, that just sucks.

If (and this is a big if) it is determined that the team would benefit most with Meija as a closer, I'd hate to think they'd prefer to compromise the team because of the arbitration price tag.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

If (and this is a big if) it is determined that the team would benefit most with Meija as a closer, I'd hate to think they'd prefer to compromise the team because of the arbitration price tag.
    They won't compromise the team to save $1MM in arbitration. If the Mets were worried about Mejia's arbitration value, they wouldn't have put him in the starting rotation.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    They won't compromise the team to save $1MM in arbitration. If the Mets were worried about Mejia's arbitration value, they wouldn't have put him in the starting rotation.
    Seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    This is another example of Collins saying too much to the media even if is the case.
    TC said nothing that hasn't been said dozens of times -- going back many years.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Has nothing to do with it. Discussion of Mejia to the BP has been ongoing for years.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast