Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

New York Jets: Should They Inquire About Morris Claiborne?

New York Jets: Should They Inquire About Morris Claiborne?

The Jets blog One Jet at a Time has an interesting rumor today.

According to one source, the Jets may be looking to swing a deal with the Dallas Cowboys for CB Morris Claiborne.
    The Cowboys traded up two years ago to sixth overall to take Claiborne. At the time many pundits thought that he might not be as good of a prospect as Patrick Peterson was a year earlier but also that he was not far behind. Claiborne had major struggles last season and was one of the major culprits responsible for Dallas' bottom of the league pass defense.

Why would a team touch him? Again, Claiborne is a physically gifted prospect. When he was coming out of school, people raved about his fluidity, and he has long arms that could help him be effective if used in a system that had a lot of physical, aggressive man coverage on the outside along with coaching to teach him proper technique. Claiborne did speak about Dallas' new zone heavy system in 2013 contributed to his lack of comfort. It is worth noting that in Rob Ryan's defense as a rookie in 2012, his 1.21 yards allowed per cover snap that year were middle of the pack. Claiborne has not been a total disaster as a pro.

He clearly would be something of a reclamation project, but the Jets do have strong defensive coaching and run the kind of system that might suit his talents. As always, it depends on the price. I probably wouldn't pay the price unless Dallas was just looking to unload him. A fourth round pick is probably the very highest I'd be all right with the Jets making a move, and even then I'm not in love with the move. For all of the physical talent and scheme fit, I still have memories of how poor his 2013 play was. I might consider flipping a guy like Quinton Coples, another thus far disappointing 2012 pick who doesn't have a natural home with the Jets although it might take Dallas throwing in a pick to like that deal. If they'd take Stephen Hill straight up, I'd do that.

To me Claiborne is not a genuine answer at cornerback. He would be a lottery ticket at the position. If the cost was low, I'd do it. I'm not sure a team that invested a ton in him as the Cowboys have are going to be willing to hold a fire sale just two years later, though, that would make the price right for the Jets.
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/...rris-claiborne

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Seems like a great idea if its a 5th. A 4th seems a bit pricey in this draft for a guy that really hasn't done anything... scheme fit or not. Our fourth could easily net a safety or guard that could start on this team.
    Last edited by Dmagic87; 05-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.

vCash
    If they wanted to make a Stephen Hill for Claiborne trade, that would be very intriguing (and would probably benefit both teams).

Cowboys need a WR and they have an offensive coach. The Jets have a defensive coordinator who used to be a CB (a Cowboy coincidently) and a head coach that preaches defense. One man's trash...
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    I wish they do a Hill for Claiborne deal. I'm all for that.

vCash
    Not only is it hard to make play for player trades in the NFL the writer totally under values Coples and doesn't understand what he brings so it's hard to take seriously.

vCash
    Keep in kind all of this is a rumor started by a blogger....there is no real substance.
    you guys are CRAZY to question not giving a 4th let alone a 5th....

I would absolutely give Hill AND a 4th and move on not needing a CB in this draft.

vCash
    yea the writer is a bit misguided with his valuation of Coples. The dude is a straight up beast.

I don't think the trade will happen, but it's fun to think about. I wouldn't consider a blogger a credible source
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraPoint View Post
    yea the writer is a bit misguided with his valuation of Coples. The dude is a straight up beast.

I don't think the trade will happen, but it's fun to think about. I wouldn't consider a blogger a credible source
    All credit was lost when he spoke about Coples

vCash
    Yeah I'm not ready to give up on Coples just yet. I think with the D line we have now, he's gonna get better because of them and in spite of his own limitations. Just my opinion.

vCash
    Stephen Hill for Claiborne is an interesting idea. It probably won't happen, but it is intriguing.

vCash
    I would give up a 4th or Hill for Claiborne in a heartbeat. He could really excel in this system.

vCash
    In a heartbeat deal one of the 4ths for him.

It would fill out our roster tremendously and I think the NYJ can tap his potential.

vCash
    Pass. I'd trade Hill for him though.

No way am I trading the 104th or 115th pick in this year's draft for a reclamation project.

vCash
    I'd do it for a 4th no question. As for Hill for Claiborne I'd add in an additional 6 just for taking him off our hands

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Pass. I'd trade Hill for him though.

No way am I trading the 104th or 115th pick in this year's draft for a reclamation project.
    Pass?! You're telling me we're going to get a better corner prospect in the 4th round than someone who was regarded as the best corner prospect in the draft just TWO years ago?

You can't give up on someone after two bad years. And if anyone can make him a starter or a star in this league, it's Rex. The guy has talent and he's totally worth a 4th rounder.

Plus, I don't want a CB in the 1st round. I think it will be incredibly stupid and so naive of the Jets if they really are going to go into next year with a 2nd year CB and a rookie at the starting CB positions. We need experience if we are going to win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast