Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very close

vCash

Very close

This thread is inspired by the current conversation in the game thread, namely with those who are trashing the team based on last night's meltdown in Colorado.

See, the first two games in which they were just blown out weren't all that concerning. Over the course of a 162 game schedule, you'll have games like those.

It's more troubling to blow a 6-run lead, come back to take a 1-run lead in the 9th, and then kiss it all goodbye when your closer du jour gives up a 2-run homer for the loss.

And that got me to thinking about those great teams we had in the mid 80s that consistently won more than 90 games, and more specifically the 1984 team that first turned it around with a 90-win season.

Those teams played good baseball AND they had a stifling duo of closers that could always finish the job.

And i think what we're seeing now is a decent team on the field that plays good baseball. Unfortunately, without those stifling closer(s), some of our best efforts will go for naught.

This tells me that this team is very close to turning the corner even if we're not quite there yet.

Juan Lagares is quickly becoming a top notch centerfielder on both sides of the field, YCY seems like he's found himself again, Daniel Murphy his hitting up a storm, TDA is becoming a major league catcher, and they're starting to compare the velocity of Lucas Duda's line drives to the speed of light.

Meanwhile, Gee, Neise, Wheeler, Meija and Colon are giving the team a very formidable rotation with Montero, Thor, deGrom and dare i add Matt Harvey will be joining them in the not-too-distant future.

So for the moment we've got an interesting bunch of young baseball players who are fun to watch. Thats the good news.

The bad news is we don't have an end game. The 1984 team made a good run for the pennant because they could get a lead and then hand the ball to either Jesse Orosco or Doug Sisk and that would be that.

This team has no such options although Dice-K could end up being that guy. Lord knows it ain't Farnsworth or Valverde. But that's not the problem. The problem is we won't be able to measure how good this team really is because of their weakness in the back end of the pen.

That said, who's to say that Montero, Thor, or deGrom doesn't end up being that guy? Or maybe it turns out to be Meija? There are options.

Stay tuned. The point is, regardless of how many games this team ends up winning this year, we're really not too far away now.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Doug Sisk?
    Roflmao

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Meijia should be a reliever.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation:28426940
    Doug Sisk?
    Roflmao
    Check me Clay. You.ll learn something.

The first half of 1984 Sisk was unhittable, more so than Orosco. Then in a crucial double header against the First Place Cubs, he fielded a comebacker on a double play ball, threw it into Centerfield, hurt his shoulder and wad never the same.

He also based his success on getting batters to flail away at his sinker that moved out of the strike zone. Once they learned to layoff his pitches he was no longer effective.

But in the first half of 1984 he was unhittable.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-04-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Doug Sisk.
    lol

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Doug Sisk.
    lol
    Clay the obstinate one.

Oy.

vCash
    LOL Doug 3 and 2 Sisk ooops ball 4

vCash

Very close

clayAMtion vs. fanofclendeNNon

It's like a spelling bee version of Highlander.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Meijia should be a reliever.
    If this trend continues? Yes.

After two starts? Absolutely not. Mejia will bounce back.

Right handed hitters have been bashing Mejia though, he needs to learn how to throw inside.

vCash
    There can only be one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paletsgomets:28427493
    LOL Doug 3 and 2 Sisk ooops ball 4
    Most fans remember him that way. Few remember how amazing he was in 1984 before that Cubs double header anbefore hitters figured out to lay off that sinker.

But prior to that he was a strikeout double play machine.

By1985 he was finished.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-04-2014 at 04:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    There can only be one!
    There can BE ONLY one!
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    resign Aaron Heilman
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    I look at it like this. Our pitching doesn't match up well in Colorado. There are just some teams that we won't match up well with and Colorado is one of them.

Move on and keep winning series.

vCash
    Point is, when you have a strong endgame bullpen, you convert a lot of close, well played games into wins

When you dont. Those close hard fought games become losses.

Might be all that stands between this team and 90 wins.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast