Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gardner Extension - In hindsight

This may be best reserved for a different thread but throughout the season besides his going first to third like its nothing and making stellar plays in left, is he really worth the 4/52.5 we gave him? He hits 8th, with very little to no pop, sits against 75% of lefties and most likely won't hit over 275. Yeah he should steal 30-40 bases this year but still that doesn't justify the contract he got. I'm aware that's close to what he would get on the open market but looking at our payroll commitments.. I'm still in doubt. I love Gardy as much as the next guy but that money seems as if it could have been better spent next year on the likes of JJ Hardy or someone else especially with Almonte impressing in AAA.

Then again maybe it's all about producing runs and causing havoc. Which he certainly does do.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 05-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Scott
    Posednick
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Not my money and only 4 years

I meese you Seņor Rodriguez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    This may be best reserved for a different thread but throughout the season besides his going first to third like its nothing and making stellar plays in left, is he really worth the 4/52.5 we gave him? He hits 8th, with very little to no pop, sits against 75% of lefties and most likely won't hit over 275. Yeah he should steal 30-40 bases this year but still that doesn't justify the contract he got. I'm aware that's close to what he would get on the open market but looking at our payroll commitments.. I'm still in doubt. I love Gardy as much as the next guy but that money seems as if it could have been better spent next year on the likes of JJ Hardy or someone else especially with Almonte impressing in AAA.

Then again maybe it's all about producing runs and causing havoc. Which he certainly does do.
    With Ellsbury's injury track record, maybe the Yankees thought one of the two would at least be healthy most of the time. The Yankees signing Gardner proves that they don't yet understand what an RBI is and how a team needs these unusual things from its left fielders. I think NY figured money wasn't a great concern and losing Gardner for pretty much nothing was unappealing. The fact that they didn't trade him may show no one really wanted to give up something truly worthwhile in return.

Gardy is a poor mans Ellsbury and having both guys really makes no sense when you consider the RBI void that the Yankees have demonstrated over the last several years. Signing a guy like Beltran made some sense, but I truly wonder why NY has deliberately constructed such a strange team.

The one positive is watching how freekin fast this team is. Even Roberts can fly. Is any team in baseball faster top to bottom in their lineup?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post

First off, as this past offseason showed, we're the Yankees, MONEY IS NEVER GOING TO BE AN ISSUE!!! Second, and I'm not trying to take anything away from Almonte, but we've had several players in the past that dominate AAA, but fail once they hit the majors. I know Almonte had moments last year when he was called up, but he could be one of those AAAA players.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Gardner is getting the Nick Swisher treatment around here. Like Swisher, he's never going to be the best player on the team, but like Swisher he does what he does well enough to justify what he's paid.

As far as the RBI comment above, notwithstanding that RBIs are a terrible measure of a player's value, Gardner has 1 fewer RBI than McCann and 2 fewer than Beltran and both of those guys hit near the top of the lineup and have more RBI opportunities.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .308 HR: NONE! RBI: 10 SB: 4 AGE: 40

vCash
    We probably haven't reached to point of appropriate hindsight yet. Gardner is what he is and should probably be accepted as such. It seems to me his detractors are the ones responsible for inflating his significance and treating him as more than the positive and fairly compensated piece that he is. He somehow gets superstar-type scrutiny around here. It alters the more appropriate perspective by which he should be measured.

vCash
    He's a little better than what Podsednik was.

Here's the thing, we are overpaying him for being a way better Chris Dickerson. I think they saw his 2011 WAR and panicked about losing him, tried to replicate Pedroia and Ellsbury at the top of the Boston line up.

His WAR this season is a 0.8 we're paying over $10M from now on for him. If he doesn't have more games like he did yesterday instead of what he's had this season than that contract is a bust.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    his bat is a -1.0 RAA, that is terrible. People in 2012 he makes $12M at the end of his contract you have to pay him $2M on top of that to buy him out.

vCash
    Posednick career. .281/.339/.379. Postseason .285/.397/.551
    Slappy career. .268/.351/.379. Postseason .215/.257/.231

Most other stats pretty similar. Slappy had a better steal success rate.

One could say Posednick might actually be better.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I think I have stated the reasons many times why he is worth it. I was pushing for the Yanks to extend him earlier when they would have most likely gotten a better deal (perhaps 3 years).

I mentioned this in the IGT but outside of one season which looks to be an outlier, Ellsbury has never hit more than 9 HR, 60 RBI, .800 OPS, in a full season. He had a career BA under .300 and an OBP worse than Gardner. His career OPS was .768 and yet he got 7/154.

I am using traditional stats because those who do not like Gardner or think he is not worth his extension usually think so based on traditional stats. If you don't like Gardner or think he is not worth his contract then you must not like Ellsbury either.

Sabermetrics helps prove the worth of both Gardner and Ellsbury.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    Jake is so much better than Slappy, it's comical. And stats don't measure it at all. Watching him for a month clearly shows the elite talent he is on a daily basis. He exudes winning and excellence.

If Slappy was so good, he wouldn't be benched against every top lefty.

You cannot compare the two. Hence , $153m to $52m. Quite obvious who's better.

It's like comparing Jeter to some other SS w similar stats. Jeter brings a totally different aura to a team that stats don't measure.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Oh my god you are trying to tell me Gardner is better than Ellsbury. End this myth already.

vCash
    I don't think Gardner is getting benched against lefties. I think that is Girardi's way of getting Ichiro at bats that he doesn't even deserve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28:28426884
    Not my money and only 4 years
    +1
    Mark Teixeira #25
    R- 20 H-30 HR-9 RBI-25 BB-19SO-27AVG-.259 OBP-.377 SLG-.509

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast