Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grady Sizemore

vCash

Grady Sizemore

How much longer does he have?

He's not hitting well, that is, unless you compare it to his putrid fielding. I don't think he can be on this team in June if nothing changes.

Nava went sent down prematurely, and deserves to be in the lineup against RHP more than Sizemore. Luckily Nava had an option left, but I think he was suffering from a bit of bad luck. He's crushing AAA, and is definitely ready to come up whenever.

I'd give Grady a week or two, but I'm not optimistic about him. I think Sizemore's BABIP would go up given his ~20% line drive rate and his speed, but I don't think it would do enough for him to make him a serviceable corner OF, especially given his sub-par defense.

Anyone feel the same way?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    How much longer does he have?

He's not hitting well, that is, unless you compare it to his putrid fielding. I don't think he can be on this team in June if nothing changes.

Nava went sent down prematurely, and deserves to be in the lineup against RHP more than Sizemore. Luckily Nava had an option left, but I think he was suffering from a bit of bad luck. He's crushing AAA, and is definitely ready to come up whenever.

I'd give Grady a week or two, but I'm not optimistic about him. I think Sizemore's BABIP would go up given his ~20% line drive rate and his speed, but I don't think it would do enough for him to make him a serviceable corner OF, especially given his sub-par defense.

Anyone feel the same way?
    I was never optimistic/understood the sizemore signing and once I saw he doesn't have the range to be anything other than a LF really? I gave up all hope.

Sizemore just never really complimented what we already have, He's a LF'er these days that historically hits RHP...Which is what we already had in Nava.

I think the sox should have went after an OF'er that was capable of playing CF/RF who could handle LHP (Rajai Davis).

vCash
    IMO he's arguably got more use than Carp. Sizemore can draw walks and hit some xBH. He's not as feeble against LHP like Nava is. He's experienced, and is supposed to be an excellent clubhouse guy.

He's no building block, but outside of JBJ and SV (this year) any of the other OF's could be traded. I don't see Nava being back until there is a DL among the OF's or some OF gets traded.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I think hes been better then his numbers. I've seen him have some really good, long ab's, and make some hard outs. Hes looked a lot better than Carp and obviously Nava. I still think he can be a good player for us. I think he should get more leeway than most players given how long he was away from baseball. Also I don't buy at all that he's this horrible fielder like one month of UZR makes him look.

vCash
    We need Nava lefty bat in our lineup regularly. A RHP with a slider just chews up Napoli, Middlebrooks and Bogaerts.

vCash
    I'm gonna calculate his xBABIP and see what it looks like. I do agree with Lav that there have been some line outs for him that could've been XBH. He's not hitting righties well at all which concerns me, bu he's better than Nava vs LHP as Bags pointed out.

And I'm not basing his fielding off of UZR, I was more or less talking about CF. His reads haven't been great. Look at his grab the other day that was called "spectacular" in center. JBJ is slower than him and wouldnt have had to leave his feet on that ball. He isn't covering much ground especially considering that his arm isn't helping. That being said, I'm confident that once he acclimates himself to LF, he will be at least average. It's tough to switch positions even from CF to COF if that's all you've played for a decade.

Clearly there's room for debate, but I think his leash is shrinking.

vCash
    Right on cue today

vCash
    I think his days as a starter may soon be over but I think he'll stick with team as a #4 or #5 outfielder.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Why are people here defending Nava? He's played like dog **** this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Super. View Post
    Several people have haha. I don't think he's as good as he played last year, but he's fine vs RHP just needed some more ABs IMO.

vCash
    his ship has sailed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Super. View Post
    In his career Nava is a.284/.383/.437 against RHP (824 PA's). By far enough of a sample imo to take a deep breath and give him another chance to do what he does. He has much more value to this team than sizemore IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    In his career Nava is a.284/.383/.437 against RHP (824 PA's). By far enough of a sample imo to take a deep breath and give him another chance to do what he does. He has much more value to this team than sizemore IMO.
    In his last 14 games Sizemore has hit .140/.241/.240 with 15K in part due to a .194 BABIP. That line is nearly identical to Nava's (17G: .149/.240/.269, 17K). Defensively Sizemore has 3 assists and no errors while playing a mix of OF positions in contrast to Nava's two errors (including a game loser in the OF iirc and one at 1B) and one assist.

Despite protestations otherwise there is no doubt in my mind which of the two is the superior defensive OF and which has the higher ceiling. All other things being equal, I'm keeping that guy on the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    In his last 14 games Sizemore has hit .140/.241/.240 with 15K in part due to a .194 BABIP. That line is nearly identical to Nava's (17G: .149/.240/.269, 17K). Defensively Sizemore has 3 assists and no errors while playing a mix of OF positions in contrast to Nava's two errors (including a game loser in the OF iirc and one at 1B) and one assist.

Despite protestations otherwise there is no doubt in my mind which of the two is the superior defensive OF and which has the higher ceiling. All other things being equal, I'm keeping that guy on the roster.
    However Nava just last season was top 5 in OBP while sizemore hasn't really done anything since 09...How many players go that long fighting through injuries and become productive once again?

I just value Nava's career RHP OBP much more than sizemores defensive upgrade in LF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    He's a LF'er these days that historically hits RHP...Which is what we already had in Nava.
    Sizemore is a better fielder and appears to be a better leader/clubhouse guy than Nava. Also seems to have a great deal of respect from the Manager. Sizemore is better against LHP than Nava too.

I wouldn't say that it's clear cut at all. Also because Farrell didn't get Drew as he desired, could be that Sizemore is to some extent is his consolation prize. Doubt he'll give him up without a fight or an injury.

I notice Nava is getting moved all around the OF down in AAA, but no 1B. Maybe Carp isn't as much as a goner as many have felt. Can't see why Nava isn't getting games at 1B unless they decided he sucks too bad at it - and from what I've seen - he blows.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast