Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What's going on?

I haven't been able to keep up with the team so far this season since it's started, but it seems that every time I check or see a score it seems like we are losing. What's going on????
    Is it a chemistry issue? Pitching? Injuries? I know it's a long season and theres plenty of time to get it turned around. What's it going to take.
    Ready......go.

vCash
    Pitching has been great. Chemistry has been fine.

All it is is bad starts from Peralta, Craig and to a lesser extent Holliday, Carpenter and lacking production from 2B. We also have a hold in CF and a weak bench.

The hitters are getting going, we will be fine. Craig and Peralta were almost automatic outs to start the year.

We will be fine and if there is anymore issues we have guys down on the farm who can come up and help out.

I understand why but people need to stop panicking. We've played a ton of road games. The pitching has been great, the hitting is getting better. No need to panicking yet

vCash
    Thanks Skip. Like I said I have just seen scores and highlights and wanted to know what was up with the slow start. Lotsa season left though.

vCash
    Yep. Just seeing scores would be confusing to know the problems.

Starters have been great. Miller has been shakey though. Offense is coming on. Bullpen has had 5 good pitchers (Siegrist, Rosenthal, Martinez, Choate, Neshek), 1 awful (Maness) and one who's been used all of like 4 times

Also, Matheny has messed up a ton this season. He's made a bunch of terrible in game decisions and he's relying on players to play who absolutely shouldn't be playing

vCash
    Ton of road games, tough schedule for the first six weeks

Finish May at .500, and I'll bet we'll win the division by the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Yep. Just seeing scores would be confusing to know the problems.

Starters have been great. Miller has been shakey though. Offense is coming on. Bullpen has had 5 good pitchers (Siegrist, Rosenthal, Martinez, Choate, Neshek), 1 awful (Maness) and one who's been used all of like 4 times

Also, Matheny has messed up a ton this season. He's made a bunch of terrible in game decisions and he's relying on players to play who absolutely shouldn't be playing
    Who in the bullpen are you referring to that hasn't been used much? Fornataro? He's only been called up a couple weeks.

I think you are overemphasizing the role of the manager. It is still on the players to execute. Is he doing anything different than he has the last two years? There was bound to be some regression with RISP. The loss of Beltran is pretty big as well as he usually has a good first half of the season. Carpenter, Craig, Holliday and whoever has been at 2B and CF have struggled with the bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Holders View Post
    Who in the bullpen are you referring to that hasn't been used much? Fornataro? He's only been called up a couple weeks.

I think you are overemphasizing the role of the manager. It is still on the players to execute. Is he doing anything different than he has the last two years? There was bound to be some regression with RISP. The loss of Beltran is pretty big as well as he usually has a good first half of the season. Carpenter, Craig, Holliday and whoever has been at 2B and CF have struggled with the bat.
    Matheny this season has bunted repeatedly in incredibly dumb spots. I already listed all the guys you did and more who are struggling. I know who is and isn't.

But Matheny has also been a royal **** up this year. Outside the bunting he has consistently over used Martinez and Siegrist whole ignoring 2 others who were pitching very well for him. He's finally moved past that after basically having Martinez and Siegrist unavailable in big situations because of his over use.

He's also continued to go to the worst pitcher in the bullpen right now in seth Maness in big situations

Then there was the day he pitched Martinez in a blow out game, a perfect situation for Fornataro or Maness. Then in a big series vs the brewers he was unavailable the first game

Then you have what he's done to Bourjos and Wong.

Bourjos starts off slow, he panics and now Jay has been consistently in the line up after a good start and since then is something like 4 for his last 30? Bourjos hasn't started in over 10 games. He's never gonna get going without at bats and he's quite a bit better than Jay but Jay is his comfort zone so instead adjusting he firmly sticks with a lesser player to make himself feel good.

Wong was off to a good start, he had a bad stretch. He should have been given a day off and gotten back in there to get at bats and keep going. What's Matheny do? Benches him. Wong never had a chance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the players on the field when he's the one making god awful calls.

I'm not in anyway blaming Matheny for guys starting slow or not getting the base hits when needed, that's all expected, I'm blaming him for his **** ups not the players lack of execution

Matheny has been god ****ing awful this season, much worse than anything he had done last 2 seasons.

vCash
    Also. Fornataro has been up 22 games and pitched 4 and 2/3 innings.

Between him and Bourjos spot we essentially play with a 23 man roster. That's bad managing

vCash
    Also. Fornataro has been up 22 games and pitched 4 and 2/3 innings.

Between him and Bourjos spot we essentially play with a 23 man roster. That's bad managing
    Not sure where you are getting 22 games, he was called up April 17th and has appeared in 5 of the 15 games he has been on the roster. Rosenthal has 11 appearances in 31 games so nearly the same ratio.

Every team has players that are hardly used, the Cardinals are hardly unique.

vCash
    Matheny this season has bunted repeatedly in incredibly dumb spots. I already listed all the guys you did and more who are struggling. I know who is and isn't.

But Matheny has also been a royal **** up this year. Outside the bunting he has consistently over used Martinez and Siegrist whole ignoring 2 others who were pitching very well for him. He's finally moved past that after basically having Martinez and Siegrist unavailable in big situations because of his over use.

He's also continued to go to the worst pitcher in the bullpen right now in seth Maness in big situations

Then there was the day he pitched Martinez in a blow out game, a perfect situation for Fornataro or Maness. Then in a big series vs the brewers he was unavailable the first game

Then you have what he's done to Bourjos and Wong.

Bourjos starts off slow, he panics and now Jay has been consistently in the line up after a good start and since then is something like 4 for his last 30? Bourjos hasn't started in over 10 games. He's never gonna get going without at bats and he's quite a bit better than Jay but Jay is his comfort zone so instead adjusting he firmly sticks with a lesser player to make himself feel good.

Wong was off to a good start, he had a bad stretch. He should have been given a day off and gotten back in there to get at bats and keep going. What's Matheny do? Benches him. Wong never had a chance.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the players on the field when he's the one making god awful calls.

I'm not in anyway blaming Matheny for guys starting slow or not getting the base hits when needed, that's all expected, I'm blaming him for his **** ups not the players lack of execution

Matheny has been god ****ing awful this season, much worse than anything he had done last 2 seasons.
    None of this really answers the question though. Can you name specific games the Cardinals would have won had it not been for a decision by Matheny? In the example you provided for pitching Martinez in a blowout, both Fornataro and Maness pitched the day prior (Maness 2 IP). Matheny's job is to win games, not make sure that Wong gets enough ABs to get the hand of playing in the Majors, that is what the minors are for.

vCash
    I can't tell you how many games we've lost this season from Matheny, Jeffy might have some kind of number on that I don't know. I don't do the advanced stuff as heavily as him, if they even have stuff like that on managers

But he has consistently done things that hurt the teams chances of winning not helped.

And I don't know how you aren't getting 21 games for Fornataro. He was here for 14 games in April. I miscounted by 1 at 22 but it's not 15.

And who cares if Maness and Fornataro had pitched the day before. They weren't important the next series. Martinez was. Both of them should be able to handle pitching 2 days in a row when you won't pitch for 3 days at Least. Martinez was going to be needed for the next 3 days. The next day we got Maness I a close situation (so yeah. I'll easily count that loss on Mantheny. Mismanaged bullpen and put worst pitcher in situation he can't handle)

And just because a bunch of teams play with a short roster why should we? I get the bullpen arm if your starters are pitching 7-8 innings a night you can't always get those guys in if it's close. If it's a blow out those 2 should always be pitching. Never any of the others if it's 5+ runs. But Matheny doesn't do this. He still wastes his best pitchers on mop up duty.

Rosnethal hasn't been used as much because of the silly idea of having a closer who only pitches the 9th.

Last night is another great example. We walks the winning run onto first intentionally and then double switches Craig from the game, batting the pitcher 5th. It was a big deal because we won

But it doesn't change we win games in spite of Matheny not because he helps us.

Basically what I'm saying is we better hope we get a big division lead because if we lose it by 2-3 games Matheny is just as responsible for his horrid decision making.

At least when the player fails he's doing something hard like hitting a 90 mph fastball. Mantheny just continues to make dumb choices that he should be learning from but he doesn't
    Last edited by Skippy15; 05-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.

vCash
    Matheny has single handedly screwed up the confidence of Kolten Wong, and he is now turning one of the best defensive center fielders in the game into nothing. He hardly is ever used because of who? Jon ****ing Jay? Get out of here
    Last edited by rapjuicer06; 05-05-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Matheny has single handedly screwed up the confidence of Kolten Wong, and he is now turning one of the best defensive center fielders in the game into nothing. He hardly is ever used because of who? Jon ****ing Jay? Get out of here
    I dunno if you remember, but last year Michael Wacha was called up earlier in the year, and pitched pretty poorly.

And then was sent back down.

I don't think it messed up his confidence....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I dunno if you remember, but last year Michael Wacha was called up earlier in the year, and pitched pretty poorly.

Wong came out of ST with the job of 2nd base, and we sent him down for a guy who isn't playing any better than him
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

I don't think it messed up his confidence as much as it messed up his swing.

He needed at bats to get himself right again and he almost completely benched outside sporadic at bats. After that he never had a chance to stay up without going to the minors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast