Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Put a price cap on Avery

There's currently a NESN poll going on:

I'd keep him for 7 or under.

vCash
    I was thinking 3/19.5 (6.5M per). If he wants more, let him take a hike. Or look into a S&T

vCash
    I'd keep him at $5 M / season. Otherwise I would allow him to walk.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Avery improved vastly on the offensive end once his shoulders got healthy, and is only 23. I wouldn't cap him at the low numbers I've seen on here, especially when you have guys like Bass making 6.5 million. I would cap him at 8-9 million, with the stipulation that Green is traded. Can't have two non stars making that much money on a championship team nowadays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    I'd keep him at $5 M / season. Otherwise I would allow him to walk.
    I dont think 5 is realistic.

Redick and Martin make 6.5, Afflalo makes 7.2, Ginobili makes 7.5, Mayo makes 8, Richardson makes 6.2, Smith makes 5.5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCpatsox18 View Post
    Avery improved vastly on the offensive end once his shoulders got healthy, and is only 23. I wouldn't cap him at the low numbers I've seen on here, especially when you have guys like Bass making 6.5 million. I would cap him at 8-9 million, with the stipulation that Green is traded. Can't have two non stars making that much money on a championship team nowadays
    Improved vastly? He improved to average offensively for a starting #2. He's a crummy PG. He's a real good defender. He's an injury magnet.

Green isn't going anywhere for now. Bradley is a good deal at $5M. He's OK at $6M, his max reasonable level would be about $6.75M per. He's horrific at anything over $8M.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Improved vastly? He improved to average offensively for a starting #2. He's a crummy PG. He's a real good defender. He's an injury magnet.

Green isn't going anywhere for now. Bradley is a good deal at $5M. He's OK at $6M, his max reasonable level would be about $6.75M per. He's horrific at anything over $8M.
    17.3 pp36 and 40% from beyond three is a better than average offensive 2 guard, factor in that he is still only 23 years old and will improve, and is one of the best defenders in the league and that makes him valuable at 8-9 million. You are correct about the injuries, but beyond that i see no problem giving him that

vCash
    17.3 pp36 and 40% from beyond three is a better than average offensive 2 guard, factor in that he is still only 23 years old and will improve, and is one of the best defenders in the league and that makes him valuable at 8-9 million. You are correct about the injuries, but beyond that i see no problem giving him that
    He's not good enough to be the ~4th highest paid player on a team vying for a ring. He's a 7th/8th player on a top 4 team.

His D took a step back last year - partly due to the bad team with no pivot/BS threat and partly due to injury, but he wasn't the same guy as the prior year - it has to be a question any GM will ask - will he recover to be again?

On O, he was better two years ago than this year in terms of shooting. And he misses games every year, when will it stop? I'd be interested in a S&T to move him thruthfully. He's a flawed 3rd guard - one that doesn't have very good passing instincts - in fact he's just plain bad at passing.

17.3 PP36 on:

12.1 2PT FGA
    03.9 3PT FGA
    02.2 FTA

is nothing to write home about - in fact last year in the NBA FORTY TWO (42) SG's that played 1150 or more minutes had a better TS% than Bradley - that's pathetic, a team would have to be insane to give an injury plagued player that's well below average the starting #2 job on their team.

It's great to be a fan, but don't let it get in the way of sober judgement.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 05-01-2014 at 10:05 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Bradley is such a flawed player in my eyes.

He's an amazing, amazing defensive talent, but this year he thought he needed to be so involved with the offense that it actually seriously took away from his defense. He took way way way too many contested long 2's this year and it was really infuriating to watch.

Bradley needs to go back to being a 3 and D guy, that's what he's good at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    He's not good enough to be the ~4th highest paid player on a team vying for a ring. He's a 7th/8th player on a top 4 team.

His D took a step back last year - partly due to the bad team with no pivot/BS threat and partly due to injury, but he wasn't the same guy as the prior year - it has to be a question any GM will ask - will he recover to be again?

On O, he was better two years ago than this year in terms of shooting. And he misses games every year, when will it stop? I'd be interested in a S&T to move him thruthfully. He's a flawed 3rd guard - one that doesn't have very good passing instincts - in fact he's just plain bad at passing.

17.3 PP36 on:

12.1 2PT FGA
    03.9 3PT FGA
    02.2 FTA

is nothing to write home about - in fact last year in the NBA FORTY TWO (42) SG's that played 1150 or more minutes had a better TS% than Bradley - that's pathetic, a team would have to be insane to give an injury plagued player that's well below average the starting #2 job on their team.

It's great to be a fan, but don't let it get in the way of sober judgement.
    I am a fan, but that doesn't mean my judgement isn't sober. I see a guy with good upside offensively and the ability to shut down his man defensively. He is a smaller Jimmy Butler in my eyes, and no one would argue giving him 8-9 million per. The difference is Avery guards 1-2 guards and butler guards the 3-4. You can argue that those positions are harder to defend, but there are a ton of great points in the league today

vCash
    Beating an old drum here as ive said it a few times. Everyone on this current team needs to go outside of KO and Sully but even those guys are expendable, no one is untouchable. Avery too, he is injured way to much and you cant spend money on him if hes not going to play. past two seasons he has missed 1/3 of all the games.

Trade everyone and see what return you get. Bass, Green, Rondo, bradley etc all gone. I imagine no one is taking Jeff Green or Wallace so they will be here until their final year and can be traded for their expiring contracts in a few years.

Celtics have an incredible chance to get rid of everyone and stack up 1st/2nd round draft picks from now until the 2018 season.

vCash
    Giving Bradley anything more than $5 M hamstrings the franchise going forward in terms of cap space.

The NBA has moved to max contracts and contracts of under $5 M. There are not a lot of $7 M - $10 M contracts out there. If signed in that range the C's are pretty much stuck with him. He's not well rounded enough to be stuck with.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    I am a fan, but that doesn't mean my judgement isn't sober. I see a guy with good upside offensively and the ability to shut down his man defensively. He is a smaller Jimmy Butler in my eyes, and no one would argue giving him 8-9 million per. The difference is Avery guards 1-2 guards and butler guards the 3-4. You can argue that those positions are harder to defend, but there are a ton of great points in the league today
    As Superdude pointed out his attention to offense this year damaged the amount of energy he had on D - a vexing limitation.

His niche in the NBA is as a 22-26 MPG 3rd guard that is an impact D player with occasional flashes of O scoring about 9.5-12 PPG (heavy on the left alone 3's).

Opalmerr said $5M tops, I gave him a bit more - if both of us agree it's fairly definite that $8-9M per is foolish money. No way he gets a multi-year deal (not from the C's) for an average of $8.5 or better with his injuries, poor passing, and meh floor leadership as a PG (IE he can only play offense as a PG vs 2nd or 3rd string, or bottom 5 starters from a D standpoint. That's a lot of limits on a guy getting paid serious dough.

If Bradley leaves the market will show what he's worth - and who is right, home town deals also include Rondo's desire to have his poor D covered up by Bradley which may drive the C's to overbid the market.

vCash
    I we cant sign him for under 6 i would try and sign and trade him. I just dont want to pay the guy 20 million over 3 years.

To answer the question i think the absolute most would be 3 years 18 million.

I predict S and T.
    El Presidente

vCash
    S & T doesn't work.

The C's would have to take back a player contract(s) of near equal value.

I really believe it would be in the best long-term interests just to let him walk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast