Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Clueless Mets 'loyalty letter' is an affront to real fans

http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/clueles...-to-real-fans/

The Mets are playing better than everyone, even many of their most fervent supporters, expected them to play across the season’s first 26 games. They are pitching well, they are winning in exciting ways. They have kids helping out and more on the way. If you are a Mets fan, they have thus far been easy to root for.

So now, to celebrate this feel-good start to the season, this is what the men who operate the Mets ask of you:

A loyalty oath.

And it is simply one more example that the people who root for the Mets are so much better, so much more deserving of better, than the people who run the Mets. Over the last two days, the Mets have blasted letters to hundreds of thousands of people, over the signatures of some of the team’s greatest stars. The greeting — “To True New Yorkers” — begins the absurdity.

And it just gets worse from there. Here is the money quote:

“As players, we can tell you that what happens in the clubhouse and what happens in the stands — players and fans together, believing in each other — makes a tremendous difference with what happens on the field.”

Modal TriggerTranslation: We’re winning and the stadium is empty. What’s wrong with you?

As always, the Mets interpret this as a fan problem when this is a METS problem. The Mets drew over 4 million fans in 2008. You know why? Because they were a game away from the World Series in 2006; because for all but the final 17 games of 2007, they were among the best teams in baseball; because in 2008, the clock was ticking on Shea Stadium and they were still among the best teams in the sport.

Attendance has dwindled every year since 2009, when a smaller ballpark maxed out season seating at around 3.4 million. You know why? Because the Mets are one of two teams — the barely Quad-A Astros being the other — who have had losing seasons in every one of those years.

And you know something else?

The Mets still drew over 2.1 million people to Citi Field in 2013, to watch a team that didn’t spend a day in first place after April 4, didn’t spend a day over .500 after April 24, was never closer than 10 games out in the NL East after June 1.

As one 15-year season-ticket holder emailed me: “Tone deaf, tone blind, tone dumb. Emphasis on dumb.”

The Mets have never understood the difference between anger and apathy. As long as you have anger, you have viability, and fans who may despise how you do business still, against all reason, hope they’re proven wrong. And spend their money on empty hopes and emptier promises.

Anger is good. Anger equals passion.

Apathy equals death.

And this letter is a good way to hasten the growing ennui. Questioning the fealty of fans, challenging them to prove their worth not only as Mets fans but True New Yorkers? Why? Because of one winning homestand? Because a Facebook poll suggested there isn’t, as Tessio from “The Godfather” said, one place in New York where they can hang their hat right now?

The Mets are so remarkably dense on such things. There is a simple cure-all, and they should know it better than anyone: Win, and the people come. Win, and the people spend. Win, and there is no need to gather signatures so they can be presented to the players before a Subway Series game as proof that people still care.

Goodness, read that sentence again: Who would ever think this is a good idea? What’s next, a pep rally? A sock hop? A bonfire in the quad? You’d call this minor league, but then that would be an insult to the New Jersey Jackals.

And here’s the best part: Whoever wrote this letter hasn’t a clue about the Mets’ own history. This is how the 1969 and ’86 teams’ successes are described: “a gritty, even stubborn belief in this club against the odds.”

Really. 1969? Fine. That qualifies. But ’86? Would you like to know how many teams, in the history of baseball, won more than the 116 games, postseason included, those Mets won? Time’s up: three — the 1906 Cubs, ’98 Yankees and 2001 Mariners. That’s all. That’s it. Those Mets had a vapor-lock grip on the city. Why?

If you’re a Mets fan, you know why. If you’re one of the ham-fisted men who run the Mets? It probably baffles you. Because of course it does.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    The Mets are winning so Vaccaro and the rest of the Negative Ninnies need something to write about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    The Mets are winning so Vaccaro and the rest of the Negative Ninnies need something to write about.
    Yeah, isn't this the same paper that made the "lardball" comments? They do seem to have an agenda against the Mets.

While I'm not personally annoyed by the letter, I have to admit that I don't get what the purpose is supposed to be. And yes, in a typical Mets move, it does seem just a tad condescending towards the fans. I've come to expect that from the Wilpons though so it doesn't bother me as much any more. We all know how they view us/treat us as fans and it isn't good.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I read it a few days ago and did not get the purpose of the letter either, but whatever.

vCash
    The New York media alway makes a big deal out of everything. This is a non-story.

The truth is, us Mets fans only care about winning at the end of the day and the fans will fill the stands when the team shows they can sustain winning over the longterm. A good start in April is not going to reverse the last 5 seasons.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Jay Horowitz may be the nicest man on the planet, but he runs the worst PR department in the history of PR departments. Just comical.

Theme music for the Wilpon's reign of error:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

-Stork

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ts-can-up-fans

Rubin did a similar piece in his blog, ripping the Mets per usual. I agree with him on some stances but he doesn't hide his blatant subjectivity here.

vCash
    It doesn't make my blood boil as it apparently does to Vaccaro.

But it's a pointless and stupid letter. It does sound bush league, and is another example of how horrible the Mets PR people are at what they do. They never seem to get it right.

Vaccaro is right about one thing. Keep winning, and the fans will come back. This isn't rocket science. The formula always works in NY.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Its an op/ed piece....objectivity is not a requirement.

Outside of suggesting that the folks who signed that letter did so under duress, I'm not seeing anything underhanded here. Even then, would I put it past them?

Lol, I wouldn't let these guys run a lemonade stand on a lonely corner.

-Stork

vCash
    Yeah, their PR is one of the worst in NYC if not the worst.

vCash
    The worst part of this article is that it doesnt reproduce the entire letter. Without that, i have no feel for the context of it. All i have is Vaccaro's spin which is pointless to me if i can't read the entire letter.

EDIT: I see the letter was reproduced in its entirely.

And unlike Gotta, it does make my blood boil.

Asking the fans to show up? Really? What business sends out letters to its customers asking them to please buy its product?

That's crazy!

Play some meaningful games first, become relevant, and then we'll talk. For five years this team disappeared and now that they win a few games in April management expects -- no, feels entitled to -- having fans start flooding the turnstiles as though this were a perennial winner?

Loyalty? Loyalty goes both ways. How about building a stadium that doesnt have 3/4s of its seats subject to an obstructed view? How about making sure fans have full use of the parking lot on opening day?

The Mets want loyalty from their fans? It's a two-way street buddy!
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-01-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I would argue that the Mets fan base is one of the most loyal ones in the league. I'm sure I have some bias in that statement, but for the most part we stick with our team throughout a whole season... No matter how terrible it is.

With the ups and downs of the economy, it's extremely hard to get people to spend money on a team that isn't winning. I wonder what the Mets TV ratings are compared to other teams, because I still try to watch every game I can, but I just can't dish out the cash at this moment.

When/If the Mets start winning again and making the playoffs, I think we will see a huge rise in attendance.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    I would argue that the Mets fan base is one of the most loyal ones in the league. I'm sure I have some bias in that statement, but for the most part we stick with our team throughout a whole season... No matter how terrible it is.

With the ups and downs of the economy, it's extremely hard to get people to spend money on a team that isn't winning. I wonder what the Mets TV ratings are compared to other teams, because I still try to watch every game I can, but I just can't dish out the cash at this moment.

When/If the Mets start winning again and making the playoffs, I think we will see a huge rise in attendance.
    If the Mets continue to win and approach the playoffs, they'll be relevant and fans will come. But what's important to note is that outside of David Wright, this team has no marquee player. None of their pitchers, while excellent so far, are natural drawing cards, a la Matt Harvey.

So it's gonna take a while for the fan base to really warm up to this team. And to be fair, it took a while too in 1984 if memory serves before fans started to return to Shea. I really don't think they were drawing too well in April 1984. But by May fans started to get excited.

And again to be fair, that team had an electrifying rookie fast baller named Dwight Gooden and a thunderous hitting right fielder who had won ROY the previous year in Darryl Strawberry. They also had Keith Hernandez on first base. Mookie Wilson was one of the most exciting players in franchise history and Wally Backman also become a fan favorite.

This team, outside if maybe David Wright, really doesnt have that kind of drawing card star power. To be sure, winning baseball will make up for it but that will take a little time.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    It doesn't make my blood boil as it apparently does to Vaccaro.

But it's a pointless and stupid letter. It does sound bush league, and is another example of how horrible the Mets PR people are at what they do. They never seem to get it right.

Vaccaro is right about one thing. Keep winning, and the fans will come back. This isn't rocket science. The formula always works in NY.
    Is this just a Mets thing? Do we really think other teams don't do similar things, especially when the team is struggling in an effort to get fans out to the stadium?

I think some Mets fans are so desperate for something to complaing about that they latch onto the media's negative spin on something that most teams probably do.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This letter just goes to show why we are a 2nd rate organization.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast