Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray and Smyly

vCash

Ray and Smyly

I know it wasn't suppose to happen this way but what if we move Smyly to the pen to solve our 8th inning issue IF Ray shows he can be our 5th starter? Ray has been very impressive so far and this may be yet another steal by DD that no one saw coming. Smyly, I'm sure, will not be happy with the move but I think it's pretty apparent that we need help in the pen. Smyly has proven to be very effective in the pen. Also, with what seems to be a given that Scherzer will be moving on, Smyly will move into the rotation next season again or if we are out of the playoff race and trade Scherzer then he finishes the year in the rotation.

Of course this all is predicated on how Robbie Ray does on Tuesday. Which for me will be must see TV.

vCash
    No. Stop yo-yoing with Smyly. Leave him in the rotation and let Ray develop in the minors this season.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    I don't want Ray with a starting spot yet. I've seen what happens when the Tigers put a young guy up earlier than expected (Porcello). Do things the Red Wings way and keep the young guys down in the minors for a couple of years to really develop their game.
    Last edited by LionsFan..LOL; 05-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    I would have no problem with Ray coming up and starting if and only if a long term injury to one of our normal starters caused him to be the only solution.

I'm not one to think that pulling players up from the minor leagues ruins their development, but Smyly just isn't the solution to our bullpen. It's not like he would be able to pitch every day or anything. Smyly has the potential(in my opinion) to be a very good 3 starter. We've gotta let him try to reach that potential.

Rush Yards: 18 TDs: 0

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    I think your right on Smyly LK. It got me to thinking what our rotation will look like in two years. Also, brought a nice "what if" scenario for me. Could we get Max signed and move Annibal instead? He'd probably be easier to trade. That would give us a front end of Verlander and Max with Smyly, Porcello, and Ray for next year. Then in 2016 we could go with JV, Max, Smyly, Ray, and Thompson. We seem to have a glut of starters coming up in the next 4 years and that's a good thing. Especially if we can get something nice in a trade of Sanchez and if Porcello keeps doing well he could bring a nice deal also.

vCash
    Never thought of trying to trade Sanchez. Not sure if it's the right move, but it would make things interesting.

vCash
    That's the plan.
    Replace Scherzer after 2014
    Replace Porcello after 2015
    Replace Sanchez after 2016.

vCash
    I figure Ray is going right back down no matter how well he pitches Tuesday (unless Anibal's hand doesn't heal fast enough and we need another start).

vCash
    Why would we Replace Porcello though? I can't imagine giving him an extension being that costly.

vCash
    (Hypothetical) 10M versus 500K would matter to most-all owners with ceilings on team payroll.

vCash
    Yeah, I get that...but you're banking on the 500K guy being better/equal to him.

vCash
    The last few drafts have really set us up on some good starting pitching prospects. Here's a look at how they are doing after 5 starts:

Lakeland
    Edgar DeLaRosa- 1.91 ERA
    Jake Thompson- 1.20 ERA

West Michigan
    Buck Farmer- 2.12 ERA
    Austin Kubitza- 2.15 ERA
    Kevin Ziomek- 1.31 ERA
    Justin Crawford- 3.04

Not a bad group at West Michigan, eh. Plus, Jeff Thompson the 6'6" pitcher is injured and will be on that staff as well. He is a bit unrefined but is a very nice prospect, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Yeah, I get that...but you're banking on the 500K guy being better/equal to him.
    No! It seems 'you' are banking on the 500K guy being better/equal to him (at the onset).

It doesn't work that way. There's always adjustments, tweaks, learning hitters, ballparks.....etc. Prime years enter later. It's very rare to see farm hands play to their top level right away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamusFucious777 View Post
    No! It seems 'you' are banking on the 500K guy being better/equal to him (at the onset).

It doesn't work that way. There's always adjustments, tweaks, learning hitters, ballparks.....etc. Prime years enter later. It's very rare to see farm hands play to their top level right away.
    Wut?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Wut?
    Never heard of how a player most normally, gradually develops?..... OK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast