Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Precedent

vCash

Bad Precedent

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but this has been bothering me the past few days. Anyways I don't agree with the NBA's handling of the Donald Sterling situation. Donald Sterling is an 80 year old man who is now suspended from the NBA for life for making racist comments that he did not know would be recorded in the privacy of his own home.

Sterling is the longest tenured owner in the NBA who employ's hundreds of African American's and he is banned from the NBA for life for stating his opinion in the privacy of his own home. To me that is unamerican and unjust.

I'm a huge Eagles fan and last year Riley Cooper, in the public forum, made comments that I found much more racist and filled with hatred than those of Sterling's and the NFL did not suspend him at all. I don't understand how there is such a discrepancy between the NFL and NBA.

The comments by Sterling were disgusting and have no place in the NFL, NBA or any other workplace but I think this sets up a bad precedent. From now on any comment (that offends the majority) that an athlete, coach or owner makes in the privacy of their own home can result in them being banned from their respective sport. Donald Sterling did not break any crimes, instead he is just a bigot. My feeling here is that Riley Cooper should have been suspended, but to ban Sterling for life and possibly force him to sell him team sets up a bad precedent (and slippery slope) for the future.

vCash
    Yeaaaaaa DTS want banned just for these comments, which he asked to be recorded btw

I meese you Señor Rodriguez

vCash
    I don't know how the NBA is actually going to be able to legally justify removing him from the league. The guy should be gone and his comments were bad, but it does seem weird that they can apply these punishments. This is such a unique scenario that everything about this story seems weird. Still, I'm already entirely 100% sick of hearing about it.
    "We got to win. Win no matter what. Trip, kick somebody, fight, bite. Whatever. Win."
    - Derrick Rose

vCash
    Note to free speech and privacy absolutists: I’m with you that the notion of penalizing Sterling for a private thought expressed in his own home is chilling. But nobody is talking about arresting Sterling. The NBA is an economic apparatus set up by mutually agreeing businessmen. And they gave themselves the option of voting someone out with a 75 percent majority. Sterling’s still got his free speech. What he doesn't have is the right to make other people conduct business with him.
    This sums it up better than anything else I've read.

vCash
    Did he know the conversation was being recorded?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesfan05 View Post
    Did he know the conversation was being recorded?
    According to his gf, yes. It's still kind of iffy. Supposedly she has over 100+ hours of his recordings. He used them as "memory freshners".

If he didn't give consent it would have been illegal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman* View Post
    Note to free speech and privacy absolutists: I’m with you that the notion of penalizing Sterling for a private thought expressed in his own home is chilling. But nobody is talking about arresting Sterling. The NBA is an economic apparatus set up by mutually agreeing businessmen. And they gave themselves the option of voting someone out with a 75 percent majority. Sterling’s still got his free speech. What he doesn't have is the right to make other people conduct business with him.

This sums it up better than anything else I've read.
    That may be true but did the punishment fit the crime? Why was he banned for life and Cooper got off scot free?
    Last edited by Eaglesfan05; 04-30-2014 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    That may be true but did the punishment fit the crime. Why was he banned for life and Cooper got off scotch free?
    Bc DTS has a 25 year history and a long rap sheet of racial discrimination stuff, illegal housing practices, largest racial discrimination law suit payout in history at one time, viewing the Clipper players as slaves, not paying a coach, the Elgin Baylor thing, now this. And I know I'm forgetting some.
    Riley Cooper was drunk at a concert and made a mistake, it wasn't right, but it was one time.

Also DTS is the owner of a team in a multi billion dollar industry where probably 70% of the athletes are black.
    He has never once given a single **** about putting together a good team, Blake and Chris were gifts that fell into his lap.

DTS has zero business being in the NBA. He finally got what was long deserved. They guy is an absolute piece of ****.

vCash
    That may be true but did the punishment fit the crime. Why was he banned for life and Cooper got off scotch free?
    why does cooper saying the "n" word bother you so much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Also DTS is the owner of a team in a multi billion dollar industry where probably 70% of the athletes are black.
    He has never once given a single **** about putting together a good team, Blake and Chris were gifts that fell into his lap.
    I just want to gauge what other people think. Does it matter that the NBA is 70% black? What if his comment were geared towards Asian Americans instead of African Americans would he still be banned for life or just get a slap on the wrist?

vCash
    Not sure why it's hard to understand why he needs to be removed. Stars will avoid them in free agency, sponsors (12) have bailed on the team, and fans will stop going.

His views aren't appreciated by the majority of the country (as they shouldn't be). So for the sake of the business, he has to go. Doesn't matter if he was illegally recorded or asked for it.

vCash
    I just want to gauge what other people think. Does it matter that the NBA is 70% black? What if his comment were geared towards Asian Americans instead of African Americans would he still be banned for life or just get a slap on the wrist?
    But those weren't his comments. And he didn't get the ban just bc of these comments. Read the whole post. Not just the last part. Stern was afraid to go after DTS. Silver was not, and he did what should've been done a long time ago

**** DTS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    why does cooper saying the "n" word bother you so much?
    The way he used the word. He stated I will fight every N****** here, which at least to me shows as much if not more hatred than statements such as don't invite black people to my luxury box because they are more likely steal stuff. Just food for thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    Not sure why it's hard to understand why he needs to be removed. Stars will avoid them in free agency, sponsors (12) have bailed on the team, and fans will stop going.

His views aren't appreciated by the majority of the country (as they shouldn't be). So for the sake of the business, he has to go. Doesn't matter if he was illegally recorded or asked for it.
    I agree he does have to go there is no question about that. If he has any smarts he will sell the team as soon as possible. I'm just concerned that banning someone for opinions sets a bad precedent.

vCash
    What I don't like is the circumstances of why he was banned.

It's kony 2012 all over again. The fact that he was a known racist by anyone who had prior interest. The fact that he was banned over something as trivial as this and not the fact that he denied housing to minorities is disturbing. It only blew up because it was so public and people pay more attention to TMZ than world events.

The NBA only did this because their hands were tied not because they wanted to. That is what people should be angry about.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast