Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lawrie.. Back at 2B Potentially???

Buck and Tabby just mentioned on-air that Gibby is considering using Francisco at 3B a little bit in Pittsburgh.... and having Lawrie play 2B.

We know Brett can do it. We know he's a tremendous 3rd baseman as well. Gold glove caliber I would argue.

BUT in light of these comments, I got thinking... what the heck, why not give it a whirl for a couple of games.

Could it work out, and become something we want to consider even more going forward? Sure it could happen!

I'm leery of taking Brett off 3B again, but given how pathetic our 2Bs have been the past two seasons.. I wonder if we could just move Brett to 2B for the rest of the season (and maybe more?) if we can find a solid 3B.

I don't think Francisco is good enough defensively to out weigh the benefits of his offense, but we've seen plenty of all-glove-no-bat played at 2B this year.. to very little success.

Think there's any chance Brett plays more than just a couple games at 2B this year?!?!

vCash
    The Pirate pitchers hit as well as our 2nd baseman and having 1 of them and the pitcher puts 2 black holes at the bottom. Francisco has played more games at 3rd than at 1st, not that he's Lawrie but he still has expierence there. So putting Lawrie at 2nd makes sense to put your best 8 bats out there!

I`m sure Lawrie will be back at 3rd and Lind will get back to the 4 spot between Bautista and EE which was looking pretty good before he got hurt!

vCash
    Forget it...just changed my mind. Lawrie needs to be at 3rd.

vCash
    I'm coming around to the idea of Lawrie at 2B. At least for this season - if Francisco continues to hit well and get on base. What have we got to lose at this point, haha. I know "it's early" but we've got to start taking 2/3 games and sweeping some teams, and the Royals were ripe for the picking.

I wonder how we'd play when Lind is back if we trotted out this line-up. (..not considering how pitchers would play)

SS Reyes S
    LF Cabrera S
    RF Bautista R
    1B Encarnacion R
    DH Lind L
    C Navarro S
    3B Francisco L
    2B Lawrie R
    CF Rasmus L

That is actually kind of a scary lineup! If we' can't out pitch'em, we'll die trying to out hit'em! Our bench is still garbage, but I like the power potential of that line-up.

vCash
    well we're losing games left and right regardless.. why not shake it up

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    And with today's shake-up, I'm even more convinced that Lawrie is going to see plenty of starts at 2B during interleague play. Tolleson was playing 3B for the Bisons, (Diaz was more of a MI) so in bringing up Tolleson, I suspect the Jays are trying to add some depth at 3B.

Depending on how Melky is after getting drilled in the knee yesterday, I can see Gose getting more time in the OF than Sierra did. He can legitimately give Bautista, Rasmus, and Cabrera a day off (and improve the team defensively).

While I don't think much of Tolleson, I like the idea of having the above line-up, with OF Gose, Util Tolleson, and C Thole available off the bench.

vCash
    Reyes.........SWH
    Cabrera......SWH
    Bautista..... R
    Lind............L.....DH only...when he gets back next week
    EE.............R
    Francisco....L
    Lawrie........R
    Rasmus.......L
    Navarro......SWH

Now that's a scary line up. (or is it just scary to Jay fans far more than it is to other teams?).. with the SWH and the back and forth L and R, late game nightmare for the other teams BP in close games!

Bench.....catcher, plus 3 legitamite possibly productive MLB players and not 3 noodle bats! By the way, who is the 4th of'er now?

vCash
    fill hole at 2nd by creating a hole at 3rd = DUMB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    fill hole at 2nd by creating a hole at 3rd = DUMB
    Doing nothing and pretending everything will work it self out = Giving in!

vCash
    Francisco isn't THAT big a hole at third. I think as long as the bats are going, you've got to ride out the Lawrie @ 2B, Francisco @ 3B thing. Lawrie is on a tear the past 6 or 7 games. Maybe feeling the heat of having Francisco play some 3B is exactly the kick he needed! I haven't seen Francisco hurt us defensively yet, so if he's putting up an OPS over .800, you've got to run him out there. I'll take Francisco over Kelly Johnson or whomever the Yankees are throwing over at 3B right now!

Once LInd is back, at least we'll have one more option to consider.

vCash
    double post.sorry
    Last edited by wagnall; 05-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jet11 View Post
    Francisco isn't THAT big a hole at third. I think as long as the bats are going, you've got to ride out the Lawrie @ 2B, Francisco @ 3B thing. Lawrie is on a tear the past 6 or 7 games. Maybe feeling the heat of having Francisco play some 3B is exactly the kick he needed! I haven't seen Francisco hurt us defensively yet, so if he's putting up an OPS over .800, you've got to run him out there. I'll take Francisco over Kelly Johnson or whomever the Yankees are throwing over at 3B right now!

Once LInd is back, at least we'll have one more option to consider.

Lind just moves into the DH spot hopefully at 4 between Bautista and EE as that looked really good when they tried it earlier, but with Francisco and Lind it's great against RH not sure so good against LH'ers but some tough decisions to make.
    Too bad Francisco was not a SWH or a RH, make the decisions easier I guess!

vCash
    It's just for NL series and every now and then facing RH pitchers.

vCash
    If Rogers wasn't so cheap I would love this idea.

Sign Headley to play 3B and Shark to add to the rotation in the offseason. Oh dreams.

vCash
    can hutchinson play 2B?