Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should be done about rainout games?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Start in May, end in October

1 6.67%
  • Shorten the season to 5 months

0 0%
  • Retractable roofs required for East coast teams

8 53.33%
  • Other

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should something be done to get rid of rainouts?

Every season there's soo many rainouts, especially in the month of April. Not only does this effect the people who buy tickets to these games, but it's a lose of revenue for the teams as well. Should the MLB consider starting the season in May or shorten the season to 5 months? or should all East coast teams be required to have retractable roofs?

Thoughts?

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

vCash
    No, but they should go to a more balanced schedule, and try to schedule teams in April where they face each other in that stadium later in the season, most of the time.

When you play teams outside your division only once in that venue, it causes a lot more problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    Every season there's soo many rainouts, especially in the month of April. Not only does this effect the people who buy tickets to these games, but it's a lose of revenue for the teams as well. Should the MLB consider starting the season in May or shorten the season to 5 months? or should all East coast teams be required to have retractable roofs?

Thoughts?
    So the way to combat the possible loss of a few games revenue for a few teams is to definitely cut out revenue for months for all teams?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjr13 View Post
    So the way to combat the possible loss of a few games revenue for a few teams is to definitely cut out revenue for months for all teams?
    Makes a great point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by getfoul View Post
    No, but they should go to a more balanced schedule, and try to schedule teams in April where they face each other in that stadium later in the season, most of the time.

When you play teams outside your division only once in that venue, it causes a lot more problems.
    Boo to a balanced schedule. They should not schudule so many off days in April and leave them for the end of the year when make ups are needed. They should also focus on a strong division schedule in April so when games are missed they can more easily be made up.

vCash
    I can see people complain about the cost, but a retractable roof should be considered. The schedule is fine the way it is.

vCash
    Retractable roofs required for East coast teams would help but I don't how realistic that is.

vCash
    Every new park should have a retractible roof. I don't know why that isn't already the standard. Makes too much sense. Like Minnesota playing without a roof of any kind is just illogical.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Every new park should have a retractible roof. I don't know why that isn't already the standard. Makes too much sense. Like Minnesota playing without a roof of any kind is just illogical.
    Well they are crazy expensive, and it's usually up to the tax payers to cover those costs, it also depends on the team, I know the angels are looking for a new stadium, I don't think they need a retractable roof, I'm mean why? Same with Arizona, I don't know why they need one unless it helps keep the place cool on crazy hot days. It's not like it's ever going to rain out there.

vCash
    The Yankees should have built their stadium with a retractable roof for one thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Well they are crazy expensive, and it's usually up to the tax payers to cover those costs, it also depends on the team, I know the angels are looking for a new stadium, I don't think they need a retractable roof, I'm mean why? Same with Arizona, I don't know why they need one unless it helps keep the place cool on crazy hot days. It's not like it's ever going to rain out there.
    Sure, a couple stadiums don't need it. But both NY stadiums, Minnesota, etc, all should have been built with one. It just makes no sense in places like that to not have one.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Schedule more away games in April for east coast teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Sure, a couple stadiums don't need it. But both NY stadiums, Minnesota, etc, all should have been built with one. It just makes no sense in places like that to not have one.
    I agree some area's of the country like the Pacific Northwest probably need the retractable roofs, but once again, they are pretty expensive, and it's the tax payers who fit the bill. Many of which aren't even sports fans. For people like them I doubt they would want to spend even more money just so the scheduled of some team they don't like is better.
    Yankee stadium was designed to look as much like the old stadium as possible, which didn't have a roof and already cost 1.5 billion dollars, adding a roof makes the whole thing cost even more. In Minnesota the Vikings want to add a retractable roof to the stadium, engineers who specialize in it say it could cost $200 million to add that to the stadium. Adding these retractable roofs also make the construction last longer.

http://www.prlog.org/10662081-real-c...able-roof.html
    Last edited by ciaban; 05-01-2014 at 01:08 AM.

vCash
    You could probably include add Philly, Pittsburgh, and Detroit to those ballparks as well. They were built fairly recently enough where they should have included a retractable roof but a lot of the times these ballparks are at least partially funded by the public which means they have to keep expenses down to some extent.

vCash
    All of our ancestors are looking down on us in derision at the thought that we might not be able to handle a baseball park in April outdoors.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast