Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Advanced Stat All Star - Amir Johnson

I'm not sure if others have had a chance to read this article, but it validates what many have said about Amir throughout the year. For those interested, here is a blurb from the article, wigth the link below:

But now the topic at hand is this: Johnson is worth a ton to the Raptors, who tied their first-round playoff series with the Nets at two games apiece Sunday night in Brooklyn. At just 26 years old, he's never made an All-Star team -- hasn't even come close. Not once in his nine seasons has he averaged more than 11 points or 7.5 rebounds per game. Sometimes, he doesn't even start. Yet there is a large sect of league followers that consider Johnson among the most valuable, efficient and irreplaceable players in the NBA.

When he is told this, Johnson pulls a hand toward his face and cups it with his palm. He shields himself from view for an instant, turning his head down, away from a reporter, and to the floor. But there is a smile there, too.

Johnson is the last of a discontinued model. In 2005, during the final draft before the NBA put its new age limit in place, the Detroit Pistons selected the last prep star ever to be called to the pros. From Westchester High School in Los Angeles, Johnson moved to the Motor City, an 18-year-old joining a team with some of the most revered big men in the league.

With Detroit, Johnson never broke 16 minutes per game for a season. But under a quintet of old dogs -- Dale Davis, Antonio McDyess, Kelvin Cato and the Wallaces, Ben and Rasheed -- he learned NBA basketball.

Early on, Johnson caught the eye of Pistons assistant Michael Curry, who began to see that Johnson's stats didn't seem to appropriately measure his worth to the team. When Curry became head coach in 2008, he gave Johnson his first starts in the NBA.

"A lot of people questioned why I would be playing him when I had some veteran guys," Curry says. "But Amir could get four, six points and six rebounds, but that didn't even begin to show you how much impact he had actually had on the game."
    But Johnson has become indispensable to the Raptors. His most glowing statistical review comes through a measure called real plus-minus, a figure that gauges the impact a player has on his team's offense and defense when he's on the floor, accounting for the play of his teammates and the quality of his opponent. Among players that average at least 25 minutes per game, Johnson places ninth in the NBA in real plus-minus. Seven of the eight players ahead of him have been All-Stars.

Dig deeper and you'll find Johnson is among the league's very best at defending opponents at the rim, according to NBA.com, even though his block numbers (1.1 per game this season) do not reflect it.

"It's a fearless thing," says Raptors coach Dwane Casey. "He goes vertical at the basket. He's not embarrassed to get dunked on at the rim."

He's also among the league's best at grabbing contested rebounds, according to NBA.com, which defines this as the snatching of any board with a defender nearby.

"I take it personally," Johnson says. "If I don't get [a rebound], the other guy's not getting it."
    http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014...oronto-raptors
    Last edited by pebloemer; 04-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Real nice to see a genuinely nice guy, get some much deserved credit.

vCash
    Been saying it forever. The guy is special.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    yep, me too, this guy is a huge asset to us. And none of this even scrapes the surface of his impact in the locker toom.

vCash
    For those interested in reading more about him, here's a more sentimental article looking more at Amir's connection to Toronto:

Johnson said his motivation to play through damn near anything stems from the simple fact he wants to always be there for his team.

"It's like, if you see somebody in trouble, your mindset, first reaction is to go help them, see what you can do," Johnson said. "That goes on and off the court. If its a family member, anybody. If I see somebody in trouble, if I see somebody down, my first reaction is I've got to help them, by any means possible."

That dedication has endeared him to Toronto fans who expect passion from their players and embrace blue-collar work ethic above all. As the Raptors head to the postseason for the first time in six seasons, DeRozan is thankful he and Johnson are getting to experience it together.

"It means a great deal because the person Amir is on the court and off the court to the whole city [of Toronto] and country of Canada is big," DeRozan said. "He lays his heart on the line every time he steps out there. No matter if he's hurt, or if he barely can walk. He feels like he's obligated to always be out there with his teammates and give it all he's got. You've got to appreciate a guy like that. I really respect that because he could have every excuse in the world, but he will never bring it up. Ever."
    "He knows everybody in this city," Terrence Ross said. "He knows everything about everyone in this city, he knows everything about the city. He loves Toronto. Loves it. He might be Canadian."
    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...court-playoffs

It's a long article, but a good read.

vCash
    Alright, I'll get off the soap box.

vCash
    I have liked him since he was with the Pistons. I was happy when the Raptors got him because I saw potential in him. I had no idea he was such a great guy.

vCash
    The most overrated low IQ Raptor player ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskies Alive View Post
    Dude..what's with u low IQ of Amir,the guy didn't have good game,he will bounce back.His not the most talented PF in the league,but he plays all out.
    So pipe down and relax. Anyway big game tomorrow,hopefully everything goes well,like I said from the beginning T Ross is the Key,son...here is ure chance,bring it. Play good D and make some shots,that's all we are asking of u. Go Raptors Go!!!

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    I am glad to see him get some much deserved credit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskies Alive View Post
    He makes the occasional bone head play as most guys who play max effort do, but he's one of the more intelligent players in the league. I don't know what you're on but I'd like some.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...