Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 102
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,847
    vCash
    1500

    UCLA rejects Donald Sterling's $3 million gift for kidney research at the school

    While many corporations are no longer choosing to sponsor the Los Angeles Clippers, there's also a growing list of Los Angeles-area organizations that refuse to be sponsored by team owner Donald Sterling.

    UCLA announced on Tuesday that it is returning an initial donation of $425,000 from Sterling and rejecting the remainder of a $3 million pledge the Clippers owner had made to help kidney research at the school's division of nephrology. The announcement came hours after NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced that Sterling had been banned from the league for life after his racial remarks had been made public.

    In a strange twist to UCLA's rejection, the school said that a "thank you" ad in weekend editions of the Los Angeles Times (above) had been placed by Sterling, not UCLA.

    The school also told the paper that the ad's claims that a research lab would be named in Donald and Shelly Sterling's honor were false and were never a condition of the original donation.

    Here's the UCLA release:

    Mr. Sterling’s divisive and hurtful comments demonstrate that he does not share UCLA’s core values as a public university that fosters diversity, inclusion and respect. For those reasons, UCLA has decided to return Mr. Sterling’s initial payment of $425,000 and reject the remainder of a $3 million pledge he recently made to support basic kidney research by the UCLA Division of Nephrology.
    UCLA has received numerous inquiries about an advertisement in Sunday’s Los Angeles Times falsely suggesting that it was UCLA publicly thanking him for the gift. The ad was placed by Mr. Sterling, not the university.

    UCLA isn't the only place saying thanks but not thanks to Sterling. The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP announced on Monday that it would no longer honor Sterling with a pre-planned "lifetime achievement" award. The organization's president said it would also be returning an "insignificant" donation that Sterling had made to the group.

    The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles also told the Jewish Journal that it would no longer accept donations from Sterling, who donated $10,000 to the group in 2012.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...213615078.html

    This is kind of ****ed up. The guy is a scum bag, but money is money and refusing it when it can save lives is ridiculous. Some of these organizations really should get their priorities straight.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,592
    vCash
    1400
    They'll make the three million and way more
    NYJ
    Jet Nation

    NYK
    #3ToTheHead


    NYY

    27

    Get Up!!!

    http://twitter.com/TrueNYJetGS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    101,632
    vCash
    1605
    Smart move, **** him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    551
    vCash
    1500
    Dumb. Take the money.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,847
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    Smart move, **** him
    Ya? You tell it to the dialysis patients that they decided to reject a 3 million dollar donation for social reasons. It's asinine and is nothing more than useless pride that has no bearing on the real victims here. What exactly does this prove? It's not going to change the fact that he's a POS. On the other hand, it takes away money that can be put into saving people's lives.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    5,428
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    Ya? You tell it to the dialysis patients that they decided to reject a 3 million dollar donation for social reasons. It's asinine and is nothing more than useless pride that has no bearing on the real victims here. What exactly does this prove? It's not going to change the fact that he's a POS. On the other hand, it takes away money that can be put into saving people's lives.
    The positive publicity from this will probably net them more than the 3 million they rejected. There are a lot of rich people out there, especially in LA.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,441
    vCash
    1500

    UCLA rejects Donald Sterling's $3 million gift for kidney research at the school

    So they only now reject his money now that he's exposed when he has a well known history of being a bigot? Publicity stunt and a stupid one at that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    El Nath
    Posts
    4,175
    vCash
    1500
    I would still accept the money, think of what it can do for research..
    Try staring at this picture for more than a minute without getting a headache




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,589
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...213615078.html

    This is kind of ****ed up. The guy is a scum bag, but money is money and refusing it when it can save lives is ridiculous. Some of these organizations really should get their priorities straight.
    So you don't mind accepting money from a racist?




    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

    JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

    I'M NEVER WRONG



    FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    So you don't mind accepting money from a racist?
    if the alternative is dying, then NO (oops)
    Last edited by thomass; 04-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,847
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    So you don't mind accepting money from a racist?
    If it means saving lives, no I don't. And UCLA didn't mind either until this weekend.

    People really need to get their priorities straight.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,875
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lincecum=future View Post
    So they only now reject his money now that he's exposed when he has a well known history of being a bigot? Publicity stunt and a stupid one at that.
    Even worse is the NAACP wanting to give him a 2nd lifetime achievement award for his donations... They aren't looking too good there.

    I guess it is up to them. If they vet their donors and feel he no longer meets what they want to be associated with (and they should), then it is their choice.

    And this guy loves to make his media name. I remember other homeless shelters I believe rejecting his 50 million dollar home. He was posting news advertisements that it was already done, and then would call them up throw down a pile of regulations that he could pull his money any time, that they could never own the shelter, just borrow it, and when they would ask why he'd quit talking to them. And in the end it looked like he was just using this as a bit of free press (the homeless shelter is still just an abandoned warehouse).

    So no, I have no problem with them not wanting to associate themselves with him.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by slashsnake View Post
    Even worse is the NAACP wanting to give him a 2nd lifetime achievement award for his donations... They aren't looking too good there.

    I guess it is up to them. If they vet their donors and feel he no longer meets what they want to be associated with (and they should), then it is their choice.

    And this guy loves to make his media name. I remember other homeless shelters I believe rejecting his 50 million dollar home. He was posting news advertisements that it was already done, and then would call them up throw down a pile of regulations that he could pull his money any time, that they could never own the shelter, just borrow it, and when they would ask why he'd quit talking to them. And in the end it looked like he was just using this as a bit of free press (the homeless shelter is still just an abandoned warehouse).

    So no, I have no problem with them not wanting to associate themselves with him.
    well your kidney is not ****ed up now is it? (or is it?)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,589
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    if the alternative is dying, then NO (oops)
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    If it means saving lives, no I don't. And UCLA didn't mind either until this weekend.

    People really need to get their priorities straight.
    So you don't think they can get the money else where? Or the nba will provide the 3 mill?

    I'm sorry I wouldn't accept money from the devil




    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

    JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

    I'M NEVER WRONG



    FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsSwaGG View Post
    So you don't think they can get the money else where? Or the nba will provide the 3 mill?

    I'm sorry I wouldn't accept money from the devil
    That would imply that others would no longer donate based solely on UCLA's decision to accept donald's money. That's more ****ed up to me than UCLA accepting the money. He's racist, not ****ing Hitler.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •