Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Adam Silver got it right.

Impressed with Adam Silver today.

Certainly a new sheriff in NBA town.

Strong, measured response delivered in a confident, poised manner.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Impressed with Adam Silver today.

Certainly a new sheriff in NBA town.

Strong, measured response delivered in a confident, poised manner.

I agree with the comments Mark Cuban said to reporter's... Sterling definitely has racist feelings, but he is allowed to have feelings and thoughts especially if they are in the confines of his own house... It's a slippery slope to go down if you want to crucify someone because of their thoughts or feelings... I am in no way of condoning what he said though...

I will be interested to see how this plays out... I am starting to believe the idea that Magic may have had something to do with this... Especially if the Clippers go up for sale and Magic's group buys the organization...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    I understand the point Cuban makes.

However, once released to TMZ and made public the expressed feelings of Sterling were no longer within the confines of his own home.

Now, it can be argued that the recordings should never have been released, but that doesn't change the fact that they were. That is another set of facts to be argued in a different court.

I agree we are not dealing with an Al Campanis situation where he openly made a fool of himself on national TV, but the results are the same in that Sterling's comments made it onto national TV, the Internet and everywhere in between. And, at least according to Adam Silver, Sterling admitted it was his voice on the recordings. Given the lawsuit that has apparently been filed by Sterling & his estranged wife against the former girlfriend for releasing the recordings it's not like Sterling is denying he made the comments.

If there is to be fallout that Cuban warns of from Silver's decision and renderings it will likely come from the locker room, imo. Racism is not solely a white on black issue and it also doesn't even have to cross a color barrier to exist or be perpetuated.

I'm not sure what else Adam Silver could have done in response to the situation. His first time in the limelight of controversy and he sent a clear message. Nothing wishy-washy about it. Will it hold up might be a question to ask. I think it will. The issue of ownership is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. They can conceivably remove Sterling as an owner, but they have no grounds to remove his family from ownership. Will Doc coach or players play for the Sterling family even if Donald Sterling is no longer an owner?
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Mark Cuban made a good point with his "slippery slope comments".

Let me be clear though, I think Silver absolutely did the right thing, and really the only thing he could do. But Sterling did not use the "N" word, he said these things in his own home and he did not commit a crime. Having said this I think Silver did the right thing and there is no place for an owner to be saying such things.

I would add that if a black owner ever made comments about white people I would hope that similar action be taken.
    El Presidente

vCash
    I think the "slippery slope" argument is about privacy. Sterling's privacy wasn't violated by the NBA, but rather by his girlfriend, potentially. I say potentially because she's claiming right now that she had permission to tape him as a way to preserve his wisdom (). Once those comments were put out there, it isn't even an issue of his opinion at that point. His comments had players threatening to boycott, sponsors backing out, fans all over in an uproar. The NBA had to kick him out for business reasons at that point, even putting aside the opinions he holds.

And if a black owner said similar comments about white people it wouldn't get the press this has because we have a double standard, and rightfully so to a certain extent. There's a difference to me between an individual like Sterling who thinks someone's skin color makes them less of a person and someone who's wary of whether or not he really has equal opportunity in this country because of its fairly recent history of racial intolerance. One comes from a place of ignorant hatred and the other comes from (IMO) justifiable skepticism. Now obviously there reaches a point where the second scenario crosses the line and is just flat out racism, but I think you have to account for the nation's history towards African Americans/minorities and understand why they might feel the way they do. Racism to me is more about the actual intent behind words rather than the words themselves (i.e. an off-color, inappropriate joke in and of itself makes you ignorant, not a racist) so you have to consider the circumstances that cause someone to think how they do before you can say whether they are really putting down a group of people based on race.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    And if a black owner said similar comments about white people it wouldn't get the press this has because we have a double standard, and rightfully so to a certain extent. There's a difference to me between an individual like Sterling who thinks someone's skin color makes them less of a person and someone who's wary of whether or not he really has equal opportunity in this country because of its fairly recent history of racial intolerance. One comes from a place of ignorant hatred and the other comes from (IMO) justifiable skepticism. Now obviously there reaches a point where the second scenario crosses the line and is just flat out racism, but I think you have to account for the nation's history towards African Americans/minorities and understand why they might feel the way they do. Racism to me is more about the actual intent behind words rather than the words themselves (i.e. an off-color, inappropriate joke in and of itself makes you ignorant, not a racist) so you have to consider the circumstances that cause someone to think how they do before you can say whether they are really putting down a group of people based on race.
    I agree with everything you say except for the bold... As long as that is still thought, this cycle will never end...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I agree with everything you say except for the bold... As long as that is still thought, this cycle will never end...
    What cycle? Do you mean trend or habit rather than cycle, maybe?