Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Decision-making.

I hesitate to start this thread knowing bags will trash it with his usual spiel on Rondo, but there are those of you whose more unbiased opinions I am interested in, so here goes.

I have been reading a lot of post-season reviews of the Celtics. On one site I found two articles offering differing views on Rondo's ball dominance. Neither was anti-Rondo, per se. They simply offered different perspectives of how Rondo's style fits in Stevens system and touch on the adjustments both (Rondo & Stevens) might have to make to accommodate each other... and whether asking either or both to do so would be a prudent thing to do.

The one thing neither article touched upon to any great degree - and frankly I have seen little to no consideration given to on this subject anywhere by anyone - is Rondo's on-court in-game decision making. When discussing Rondo's ball dominance shouldn't the quality of his on-court in-game decision making be a king consideration?

As a coach, I know I want my best in-game decision makers to be the one's touching the ball the most.

Then, going off on a bit of a tangent, the motion offense that Stevens runs is dependent on putting quality decision makers on the floor at all five spots. This is one reason Stevens liked to play two point guards or two combo guards at the same time in the college game. The scorers still get the money touches but every one on the court is responsible for quality decision making on and off the ball.

So, with this in mind, who do you feel were the 2013-14 Celtics best decision makers with and without the ball?
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    There are ways to look at this w/o putting it into this language.

* Rondo's best offensive skill is passing, therefore he should pass a lot when he's on the floor to take advantage of that skill.

* However that does fly in the face of having all the offensive players involved in moving the ball and making decisions. Obviously under pressure (say a half court trap or a full court man) the best decision makers and dribblers are going to get the ball, but in normal circumstances, the ball will be spread.

So, there is a problem going forward because you can't maximize for both goals.

As for this season? Rondo, Pressey, Bayless, Wallace, KO are players that can pass well. Faverani, CJ, Bass, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Hump - are either poor passers, or not expected to pass.

This team has a long way to go to have 3 HOF players for Rondo to feed OR a long way to go to having a really well oiled working Stevens machine going without Rondo.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-28-2014 at 08:30 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I really liked how Courtney Lee was playing. He played himself right off the team by being too good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    I really liked how Courtney Lee was playing. He played himself right off the team by being too good
    I think you are absolutely right. Trading Courtney Lee was the C's best "tanking move" of the entire season.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB