Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Do you think a D-League would be a good idea?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 55.56%
  • No

5 27.78%
  • Not sure

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How would you feel about a NFL D-League?

NFL executive Troy Vincent wants developmental league

NEW YORK -- New director of football operations Troy Vincent can see in the NFL's future a developmental league, an eighth official on the field for games, and coaches using tablets on the sidelines to call plays.

Vincent, a former Pro Bowl player and president of the players' union, recently replaced Ray Anderson, who left the league to become athletic director at Arizona State.

"Each of us shares the responsibility for preserving and growing the game," Vincent said before mentioning some specific projects that could be on the NFL's horizon.

One is establishing a developmental league.

"We need to keep the pipeline of talent flowing, and that means for all areas of our game: players, coaches, scouts, game officials. I am responsible to look at whatever the competition committee looks at, and that includes a developmental league.

"For all this football talent around, we have to create another platform for developing it. Maybe it's an academy -- at would it look like? Maybe it's a spring league; we'll look to see if there is an appetite for it."

NFL Europe, the last such league, folded in 2007. But it produced plenty of NFL talent in all sorts of jobs.

Vincent said the league will once again experiment with an eighth official in the preseason, then the competition committee will assess the value of making a change. The game has become faster and far more pass-oriented since the NFL went from six officials to seven way back in 1978.

"As the game evolves, we owe it to the officials themselves, to the players, the coaches and to the fans, to keep a fresh approach," Vincent said.

By using the eighth official, essentially a second back judge, this summer, the NFL also increases the pool of officials it could hire who have some sort of game experience.

"They are the 'third team' and they are critical in the way the game is managed and played and perceived," Vincent said.

Vincent gets animated talking about upgrading technology, noting how his eighth-grade son watches cut-ups of plays on an iPad, yet NFL coaches and coordinators on the field and in the coaches' boxes upstairs still use printouts. He chuckles when recalling how the still photos sent down to the field could get wet and sticky and be virtually useless in bad weather.

And he shakes his head with a smile while considering the possibilities.

"They are endless," he said. "We just have to be sure we are not harming the true elements of the game."
    Link

The idea for a development league actually makes a lot of sense. With how popular the NFL has become now would be a good time for something like this. What do you guys think?

vCash
    id watch it as long as the games were on like a Friday...would be pretty cool

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    I honestly couldn't tell if it'd be a good idea until I saw it in action for awhile. I definitely would give it a chance though.

vCash
    The NFL is the only major sport that doesn't have a developmental league if I'm correct. I'd be all for it. Could be great exposure for a lot of those players to be seen in live action.
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Having a minor league system akin to other sports would make sense. NHL and MLB have the most obvious minor league systems and I believe (not sure if it's every NBA team) the NBA has their d league which is somewhat like a minor league system.

The NFL has the practice team which could essentially become a minor league team. Have them play at colleges or the NFL stadiums on Fridays like mentioned above. Maybe make the draft a round or two longer as well.

NFL and NBA are different though in that most talented players are making the leap right to the majors after the draft and don't need as much development as NHL and MLB draftees do.

I'd like to see a D League but would like to see it as team affiliated rather than another league like NFL Europe was.

vCash
    I didn't like the idea at first but I'd like to see how it affects QB's ad if they're thrown into fire immediately as they are now

vCash
    I'm for it. We see to many guys that have to play without much game experience and when they have to play they aren't quite ready.

I'm thinking that rather than having a bunch of 5th-6th-7th round players rot on benches (especially linemen and qbs) they could play in a spring league where they get game reps. I think a league that's like half the size of the NFL where the developmental teams are "co-owned" by NFL teams it would be great. Like having the Eagles and Steelers "co-own" a team or Redskins and Ravens or Cowboys and Texans. Let them experiment with bigger rosters like 60 players, 20 whose rights are to one team, 20 to the other, and 20 "free agents" or UDFA types or FA's with less than 6 years removed from their draft. That last 20 players would be free to sign with any NFL team at any point.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    Long overdue. Most people wouldn't watch but that's missing the point

vCash
    Wasn't their already an nfl d league that failed called NFL Europe?

The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

vCash
    CFL? USFL? Hasn't there been a couple of attempts at this?

I guess the difference this time around would be NFL sponsorship.

I wonder though if a development league would really help the NFL. Seems that players would be better off sitting on their couch and not potentially blowing up their ACLs than playing in a "lesser" league.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    CFL? USFL? Hasn't there been a couple of attempts at this?

I guess the difference this time around would be NFL sponsorship.

I wonder though if a development league would really help the NFL. Seems that players would be better off sitting on their couch and not potentially blowing upwere their ACLs than playing in a "lesser"wete league.
    neither of those were developmental arms of the NFL....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2;28u394457
    it failed because it was in..... Europe. It was designed to spread the game too. Not purely developmemt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm:28394472

it failed because it was in..... Europe. It was designed to spread the game too. Not purely developmemt
    Can't say that they would be more successful in the USA. Maybe cause Americans love our football

Now thinking back it wasn't as big a failure as I thought. It failed in the sense that the league folded but it expanded the NFL brand and set the NFL up to do their games in london

The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

vCash
    I'd probably watch it if they did the games in the summer or something. Hell, we all are itching for anything closely resembling football this time of year, I'd probably watch a 2v2 matchup of 15 year old paraplegics at this point.

I think the people who would benefit the most are the washouts who can't cut it in the NFL (Jamarcus Russell, Rolondo Mcclain, Tebow, Johnny Manziel ) since they'd be able to still play football and possibly work themselves up to NFL level. The other players I could see it helping are foreign players, such as CFL (and every now and then I hear hoopla about an Asian league's players working to play pro football) players make it to the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riveramk2 View Post
    Can't say that they would be more successful in the USA. Maybe cause Americans love our football

Now thinking back it wasn't as big a failure as I thought. It failed in the sense that the league folded but it expanded the NFL brand and set the NFL up to do their games in london
    Every NFL Europe team was a German team. It should've been called NFL Germany. It's not hard to see why it flopped; the US is bound to have the best football players given that more or less the entire country has American football accessible at the age of 5, whereas it's difficult to find football at any level in other countries. Also I imagine it was hard for the entire league to be in one country, it's not like the Germans could rally behind their own team when they had so many, maybe if there was two German teams, two French teams, a Danish team, a Spain, Ireland, UK, etc, maybe it would've had more success.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    not neccsarry and not woth the time and money it would take. they have practice squds for this kina stuff

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast