Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NFL Considering New Developmental League

In August 2007, the NFL ceased operation of NFL Europa, issuing a press release that “The Time is right to re-focus the NFL’s strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games.”

And thus ended the NFL’s developmental league, in place since 1991 save for a two-year hiatus from 1993-94.

But, the league’s new director of football operations, Troy Vincent, told the Associated Press today that he sees the installation of a developmental league as a way to preserve and grow the game.

“We need to keep the pipeline of talent flowing, and that means for all areas of our game: players, coaches, scouts, game officials,” Vincent said. “I am responsible to look at whatever the competition committee looks at, and that includes a developmental league.

“For all this football talent around, we have to create another platform for developing it. Maybe it’s an academy — at would it look like? Maybe it’s a spring league; we’ll look to see if there is an appetite for it.”

Vincent also mentioned adding an eighth official to the referee crew for games and coaches using tablets on the sidelines.

Vote in the poll below and feel free to add your opinion in the comments section.
    What do you guys think would you want to see something like that? Would it be oversaturation of football? Thoughts?
    HaHa Clinton-Dix

Solo Tackles: 63
    Assist Tackles: 27
    Sacks: 1
    Pass Deflects: 6
    Ints:1
    TDs:

vCash
    ****ing finally.

Been *****ing about this for years.

I should just pull up the threads I've made on this before because I've beat this horse too long, most people hate the idea and I don't get the logic. What can it hurt?

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    I would love it
    the packers have so much talent...

vCash
    Tebow time.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    yes

vCash
    There needs to be something. Theres limited opportunity to make an NFL roster and even some that do don't really get any chance to play and get the repetition on the field. I'd never even thought about it from the standpoint of developing coaches but that makes a lot of sense too. I think it would be good all the way around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    There needs to be something. Theres limited opportunity to make an NFL roster and even some that do don't really get any chance to play and get the repetition on the field. I'd never even thought about it from the standpoint of developing coaches but that makes a lot of sense too. I think it would be good all the way around.
    I think what's overlooked too is all the other things, the coaching, the refs, the rules experimentation. Etc etc.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    We already have this it's called the Canadien Football League and Arena Leagues. Lol. I think its a good idea, but I doubt each team would have it's own development team.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    NFLE was the perfect model for this except for one flaw... it was in Europe... bring that league to the states and I think it would be more successful than the NFL could dream...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mitten View Post
    NFLE was the perfect model for this except for one flaw... it was in Europe... bring that league to the states and I think it would be more successful than the NFL could dream...
    It would probably more successful in the US but I would like to have a NFL near my town. Sadly, I'm a minority here in Germany

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    We already have this it's called the Canadien Football League and Arena Leagues. Lol. I think its a good idea, but I doubt each team would have it's own development team.
    Exactly what I thought.

vCash
    Oh god, I have to school Packers fans now too?

Great.

Please boys, do me a favor, open your mind. And read my points on this.

It starts here

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...8#post28396508

(That's you cooters and wiss)
    Last edited by Norm; 04-28-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cooters22 View Post
    Name me 2 players in the NFL right now form the AFL without using Google. I'll wait.

The only two I could think of is Warner from the past and Tyler Clutts.

Gimme a break.

The CFL has about a half dozen in there now and only two of them are any good. Browner is a junkie on top of it.

Literally Wake is the last player in like 2 decades they "developed" and all they did was let him play there for two years or whatever it was. Woohoo.

They don't develop squat for the NFL.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mitten View Post
    Bingo.

It actually didn't fail as a developmental league, they basically said well it doesn't make money and we'll just play in London, eff it.

Thing stayed viable for ages. With the popularity of anything NFL, there's no way it would lose dollars, at least for the foreseeable future.

Another issue with "Europe" was they had to have so many Euro scrubs on every team taking up roster spots. I don't remember how many anymore though.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    The league in Europe in my mind was more to introduce the game there than it was to actually develop players.
    NFC Here we come!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast