Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets beat writer goes too far

I love how his team mates stood up for him....

The Mets would not speak with the media postgame Friday (Walk off win against Miami) until Post beat writer Mike Puma left the clubhouse, the Daily News reported. Wrote Kristie Ackert and Justin Tasch:

Apparently angry about an article in the New York Post on Friday about Bartolo Colon under the headline “LARDBALL,” the players would not talk to the media until Post writer Mike Puma left the clubhouse. Puma was asked to leave and did so without incident. Within a minute, several Mets appeared in the clubhouse. The team would not comment on the incident.

The first paragraph of that game story read:

If the umpires searched Bartolo Colon’s neck for a foreign substance on Thursday, chances are they only would have found peanut butter.

Other than for one abysmal afternoon in Southern California, the rotund right-hander has given the Mets exactly what they would have expected for two years and $20 million.
    Last edited by Captain Moroni; 04-26-2014 at 09:55 AM.

vCash
    I would understand an article like that for an outlet like The Onion or as a punchline for a late night tv show but that is really bad journalism. And it's not like he is sucking or anything, and even if he was that would still be bad.
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

vCash
    I know the Post is guilty of this a lot, but Mike Puma himself is a very fat guy. This seems like it was written to be offensive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    I would understand an article like that for an outlet like The Onion or as a punchline for a late night tv show but that is really bad journalism. And it's not like he is sucking or anything, and even if he was that would still be bad.
    Spot on. I mean, if his conditioning was a huge issue or something, id understand an article about his weight issue. But it's not an issue so not really necessary to talk about it.

vCash
    Bad journalism and a bully. I hope he is fired. Colon is performing well; what does his weight have to do with anything.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    Bad journalism and a bully. I hope he is fired. Colon is performing well; what does his weight have to do with anything.
    The funny thing is Mike Puma is not a very slender guy himself so it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Honestly the New York Post as a newspaper is a better joke than anything Puma could come up with about Colon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The funny thing is Mike Puma is not a very slender guy himself so it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Honestly the New York Post as a newspaper is a better joke than anything Puma could come up with about Colon.
    I wonder if the Post will change this assignment, because if the players don't like you collectively, you are not getting any inside scooops

vCash
    I hate to see a man lose his job, an apology would go a long way.

vCash
    Wow that's bad, I wouldn't have a problem with a firing, but either way he can't cover the mets. It's pointless, and good for the players standing up for each other.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Puma won't be fired. 1. His editor approved the story. 2. a headline writer wrote the headline -- which is approved by the editor. 3. This is what the NY Post is and does.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

Mets beat writer goes too far

Yeah, the post probably got more readers to read this story because of the controversy.

Honestly I think the fact that Puma is fat himself probably thought it was a light hearted thing to write about and did not mean any malice, but the problem is that it was still offensive and in this day and age you just can't do things like that.

I applaud the Mets for standing up for their teammate as well because for too long they let themselves be punch line of a never ending bad joke and most time deservingly so, but you have to draw the line in the sand at some point and not let writers cross it.

vCash
    classless. Go Colon!
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    Kinda too far, but also kinda funny.

If I was making $20 million, you could say whatever you want about me and I wouldnt give a flying *****

vCash
    Puma needs to find a new line of work now. Maybe he could be on the Biggest Loser? Not the TV show where they lose weight, just being the biggest loser.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yeah, the post probably got more readers to read this story because of the controversy.

Honestly I think the fact that Puma is fat himself probably thought it was a light hearted thing to write about and did not mean any malice, but the problem is that it was still offensive and in this day and age you just can't do things like that.

I applaud the Mets for standing up for their teammate as well because for too long they let themselves be punch line of a never ending bad joke and most time deservingly so, but you have to draw the line in the sand at some point and not let writers cross it.
    This is why I think it's a little overblown. It's another big guy making a joke at another big guy. Colon is playing well, I don't think he's trying to insult Colon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast