Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Rule?

vCash

1986 Rule?

In a game in 1986, Davey Johnson did something I have never seen before. The Mets were down to zero position playerrs due to ejections after a fight. So late in the game, Jessie Orosco and Roger McDowell were both in the game defensively at the same time. One would play RF the other wouuld pitch, L/L and R/R matchups were used for every hitter. Since they were not removed from the game this was allowed.

Question: Has this rule been changed or altered?

Question: If not, wwhy would teams not employ this tactic more often?

With Rice being the only LHP in the pen, why not bring him in to face a tough Lefty, stick him in the OF and bring him back 2 batters later?

If this is allowed, could you do this the entire game?

vCash
    Well, you'd also have to play Rice in the outfield when he's not pitching. That's a tremendous liability. It's like in basketball, where you could just leave your center under the other team's net while the ball is on your side of the court. You could play 4 on 5 basketball and then just toss the ball to your center whenever you get it back. You might score more points, but you'd also give up more.

TL;DR the cost outweighs the benefit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni:28379711
    In a game in 1986, Davey Johnson did something I have never seen before. The Mets were down to zero position playerrs due to ejections after a fight. So late in the game, Jessie Orosco and Roger McDowell were both in the game defensively at the same time. One would play RF the other wouuld pitch, L/L and R/R matchups were used for every hitter. Since they were not removed from the game this was allowed.

With Rice being the only LHP in the pen, why not bring him in to face a tough Lefty, stick him in the OF and bring him back 2 batters later?

There never was and never should be any kind of rule preventing players on the field from switching positions at any time.

To answer the question why would you want 2 pitchers in the lineup at the same time. What Davey did happened late in an extra inning game in which they were already short on pisition players.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post

Slow day at work?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    There never was and never should be any kind of rule preventing players on the field from switching positions at any time.

To answer the question why would you want 2 pitchers in the lineup at the same time. What Davey did happened late in an extra inning game in which they were already short on pisition players.
    Davey also had to play Rusty Staub in the OF once and kept moving him from RF to LF depending on the hitter. I don't really want to see that in a game today either.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    That 1986 fiasco was one weird game, I remember watching it in my apartment in Queens. Weren't a few other guys also out of position?
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    In a game in 1986, Davey Johnson did something I have never seen before.
    Herzog had done it previously that season -- or 1985 -- with the Cardinals.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Here's an idea, make the rosters more than 25 guys. The MLBPA would be all for it and those last spots would obviously be reserved for RP and bench players. We saw how much of a disgrace that All Star game in Milwaukee was ending in a tie. I know those are different circumstances because guys pitch/play 1-2 innings in an ASG but I never really liked the idea of a 25 man roster from April to August and then you can have 40 guys up in September.

Expand the ML rosters to 27 or 28 players and you'll be less likely to run out of position players and relievers in extra inning games.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-25-2014 at 11:18 PM.

vCash
    Why was it a disgrace to end in a tie? How many people actually cared who won?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Why was it a disgrace to end in a tie? How many people actually cared who won?
    MLB did enough to make the subsequent ASG games count in regards to WS home field advantage. Sure, that was a dumb reactionary move but the point remains. I still think roster sizes should be expanded though.

vCash
    i still dont know why a tie was disgraceful. As for getting home field advantage, the present rule is no better/no worse than simply getting hone field by chance that it was your league's year to have it.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet:28383443
    i still dont know why a tie was disgraceful. As for getting home field advantage, the present rule is no better/no worse than simply getting hone field by chance that it was your league's year to have it.
    Because the object of the game is to win it.

Dont confuse baseball with ballet.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    It looked bad on MLB like FOC said as the object is to win, not tie even in an ASG. I'd rather alternate WS HFA than have the ASG determine where its played.

That said, you're dancing around my main point which is extended the rosters either way. More players available=less opportunities at the situation Moroni proposed arising.

Do you have an opinion on that?
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-26-2014 at 01:23 PM.

vCash
    Not dancing around anything. I addressed the most interesting point of your post IMO. I dont think a tie looked bad at all.

To answer your question...

I would endorse the proposal since it seems helpful in some ways.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Because the object of the game is to win it.

Dont confuse baseball with ballet.
    Its an exhibition. There was no disgrace.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast