Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Giants sign Travis Ishikawa

The Giants have signed first baseman Travis Ishikawa to a minor league contract, MLBTR’s Zach Links reports (Twitter links). Ishikawa will report to Triple-A Fresno after taking his physical today, and the contract contains an out clause if Ishikawa doesn’t make the club’s 25-man roster. Ishikawa is represented by Jim McDowell.

Ishikawa chose to become a free agent on Wednesday after he was outrighted off the Pirates’ roster and the 30-year-old now returns to the team that originally drafted him in the 21st round of the 2002 amateur draft. Ishikawa made 665 PA for San Francisco between 2006-10, earning a World Series ring as part of the Giants’ championship team in 2010. He has bounced around since then, spending time with the Brewers, Orioles, Yankees and Pirates over the last two seasons.

The left-handed hitting Ishikawa has a .259/.326/.407 career line against right-handed pitching and just a .603 OPS against southpaws, which is why Pittsburgh used him as a platoon partner for Gaby Sanchez at first base. The Giants, of course, already have a notable lefty-swinging first baseman in Brandon Belt, though since Belt has virtually equal career numbers against left- and right-handed pitching, there’s room for Ishikawa to potentially win a job as a defensive-minded (career +13 UZR/150) backup to occasionally spell Belt at first base when a righty is on the mound.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-ishikawa.html

Ariana Grande

vCash
    I almost mentioned him the other day but never thought we would sign him but I have nothing but positive things to say about this signing. We have all seen just how weak our bench is. Ishikawa brings an OPS over .700 as a pinch hitter which isn't good but compared to our current bench, it is good and welcomed with open arms. I hope Ishikawa has been working out in the OF.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    I've got no problem bringing Ishikawa back, he'd make for a decent bench bat. Looks like he spent some time in the OF in the minors the past few seasons.

vCash
    I wonder if he can play 3rd base ? I know he is a great defensive player at 1st, but don't see him getting much time there with Belt and Posey in the lineup. Maybe just in blowout games and as a pinch hitter. But glad he is back, always liked him, just wish he was a better hitter.
    Last edited by sf1giantfan; 04-25-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: extra

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

vCash
    I really like this signing because he gives us a decent left-handed option off the bench. The only other player we had similar to him in the wings was Tyler Colvin and he is a pretty uninspiring option. Always been a Ishikawa fan

vCash
    A left handed 3rd baseman.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersuck View Post
    The only other player we had similar to him in the wings was Tyler Colvin and he is a pretty uninspiring option
    I had totally forgotten Colvin

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    The secret weapon...
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Meh....I'd rather see what Colvin could do. Really don't see how Ishikawa is worth a roster spot on this team.

vCash
    Ishikawa sucked when he was here, sucked wherever he went after, and still sucks. With all the 'bench' players we passed on before the season, we settle for Ishikawa? Whoop-dee-doo.
    "If he could cook, I'd marry him." - Leo Durocher on Willie Mays

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Meh....I'd rather see what Colvin could do. Really don't see how Ishikawa is worth a roster spot on this team.
    Because he is a better hitter than every other option we currently have.

vCash
    Meh....I'd argue Colvin is the better hitter (plus he can play both 1B and OF). Neither are really gonna instill any fear in an opposing pitcher though.

vCash
    Meh....I'd argue Colvin is the better hitter (plus he can play both 1B and OF). Neither are really gonna instill any fear in an opposing pitcher though.
    But they're both better options than Adrianza or Perez, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    Ishikawa sucked when he was here, sucked wherever he went after, and still sucks. With all the 'bench' players we passed on before the season, we settle for Ishikawa? Whoop-dee-doo.
    While a .732 OPS (vs. RHP) isn't outstanding, it's perfectly fine as a LH bench bat.

vCash
    I couldn't care less about instilling fear. I care about men who can hit in the pinch. Ishikawa has gap power and you can't say that for Blanco, Arias or Adrianza. Besides, Colvin is getting eaten up by AAA pitchers at the moment.
    Last edited by RTL; 04-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast