Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The MVG "Most Valuable Green"

Why all the lack of confidence in Mr.Green being considered only a 3rd or 4th option on nba teams. This season only 15 teams had a "#1 options" who scored more point than him this season, so that leaves 15 with a need for a 16pt a game "#2 option". Also remember Green is coming off a heart surgery offseason and next season could be perceived to fully healthy and improving. Teams may looks at him as a proven #2 option over (a hope he can be that or more drafted player). Green can be more valuable to the C's than many may think.

Think Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta & Orlando are good fits if traded.

Boston Celtics - Jeff Green, 16.9

Brooklyn Nets - no one

New York Knicks - Carmelo Anthony, 27.4

Philadelphia 76ers - Thaddeus Young, 17.9

Toronto Raptors - DeMar DeRozan, 22.7 Kyle Lowry, 17.9

Chicago Bulls - no one (but d.rose will return)

Cleveland Cavaliers - Kyrie Irving, 20.8

Detroit Pistons - no one

Indiana Pacers - Paul George, 21.7

Milwaukee Bucks - Brandon Knight, 17.9

Atlanta Hawks - Paul Millsap, 17.9

Charlotte Bobcats - Al Jefferson, 35.0 Kemba Walker, 17.7

Miami Heat - LeBron James, 27.1 (Big 3's territory)

Orlando Magic - Arron Afflalo, 18.2

Washington Wizards - John Wall, 19.3 Bradley Beal, 17.1

Dallas Mavericks - Dirk Nowitzki, 21.7 Monta Ellis, 19.0

Houston Rockets - James Harden, 25.4 Dwight Howard, 18.3

Memphis Grizzlies - Zach Randolph, 17.4 Mike Conley, 17.2

New Orleans Pelicans - Anthony Davis, 20.8

San Antonio Spurs - no one

Denver Nuggets - Ty Lawson, 17.6

Minnesota Timberwolves - Kevin Love, 26.1 Kevin Martin, 19.1

Portland Trail Blazers - LaMarcus Aldridge, 23.2 Damian Lillard, 20.7

Oklahoma City Thunder - Kevin Durant, 32.0 (westbrooke was hurt, he would have been here)

Golden State Warriors - Stephen Curry, 24.0 Klay Thompson, 18.4 David Lee, 18.2

Los Angeles Clippers - Blake Griffin, 24.1 Chris Paul, 19.1 Jamal Crawford, 18.6

Los Angeles Lakers - Nick Young, 17.9 Pau Gasol, 17.4 (kobe nuff said!!!)

Phoenix Suns - Goran Dragic, 20.3

Sacramento Kings - DeMarcus Cousins, 22.7 Isaiah Thomas, 20.3 Rudy Gay, 20.0

Season Scoring Stats:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...s/seasontype/2

Your Thoughts.
    Last edited by esb; 04-24-2014 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    I think Snell will do just fine in Chicago...

I don't see Cleveland oooooing over Green...

Carroll is playing pretty well for Atlanta...

Orlando has two decent SF's with Harris and Harkless...

I think Green would fit very well in Memphis... Option 1 is ZBo... Option 2 is between Gasol and Conley... Green being a very athletic 3rd option who could defend is a great fit for the Griz... They are wide open at the 3...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    No one wants a 9 million dollar third option.

His problem is consistency. 22 games with 20-plus points, 14 with single digits.

vCash
    Bizarre question.

His WS/48 was .057. An average year in the NBA sees an average player being about a 1.00.

He has games where he'll be on the floor for 12 minutes and get no rebounds and 2 points. He's passive, lacks passion.

Basically he sucks. And he sucks hard at $9M

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I posted in another thread about the off season, and I completely forgot he was on the team. Ha

I don't hate the guy but he's invisible out there most games

vCash
    He's not worth 9 million a year, and he probably won't get much return in a trade, but I feel a lot of people on here underrate him because of his inconsistency. You don't lead a team in scoring by being invisible most games. He does have games where he doesn't show up, much more often than his talent warrants, but to say he sucks or is invisible is wrong. He's a very, very talented, very, very inconsistent player. I hate it as much as the next guy, but he isn't worthless as many people seem to want to believe.

vCash
    First of all, discussions about Jeff Green remind me of college recruiting. The hype seldom offers an accurate portrayal of the players potential or ultimate worth / value. People look at Jeff Green and see a freakish athlete and expect a 20+ ppg scorer. In reality, that is not who Jeff Green is. He never has been and might never be.

I do expect next season to be "better". I could see 18 ppg and more consistency. 18 ppg is easily attainable if he would simply hit the offensive glass more - something both DAnny and Stevens have implored him to do. Being a full year plus removed from heart surgery next season is also a factor in his continued recovery / development / improved production. I do not however see him as a go-to guy. He is not the type a team can look to as a primary scorer late in close games - a complimentary scorer late in games, yes. It's just not in his demeanor or personality to be that go-to guy. He can carry a team when he's hot, but he is not the type that can dig deep when his team is struggling and intentionally put them on his shoulders - it's more random with him and that's okay because it's a random thing with an overwhelmingly vast majority of NBA players. What Green does have is the ability to do so now and again... something 80% of the league does not possess.

esb makes a great point with his post here. I had looked at the numbers awhile back only to conclude Jeff Green is misunderstood and underappreciated. The guy is a solid NBA player who could excel as a third option on a good team. He's not a number one option on a good team, but he is as good a #1 option as what about half the teams currently have in that role and he reached that level this season with considerably less help than some of the others had around them.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Jeff Green sucks by the numbers. The next closest Celt played 80.8% as many minutes (Bass) - kinda easy to lead the team in PPG when you're on the floor constantly.

Per 36 MPG, the Celts had NINE (9) players that scored 14.5 - 17.7 points - the least minutes of these guys was 504 for Lee. The fact that Green had the highest per 36 PPG means little when you have 8 other guys right behind you and your team won 25 games.

He was 8th in ORtg and 11th in DRtg on the Celts among regular players. He isn't near being "He's a very, very talented" player. He played like he was worth $2.5M, but got paid $9M. In order for us to get a good player back (on his rookie deal), we'd have to eat a bad deal AND pay with two draft picks - one of them a top 12 to even have a shot.

Chances are he'll be here next year pulling off that clueless act again, and he'll take that option and thus become MORE untradeable than Wallace - who at least gives a damn. Green is a cancer and he's just going to get worse, DA's worst move to date was signing him. If DA signs Rondo to a 5 year deal and keeps Green be prepared for most of our help coming from the draft and little from FA because a: we won't have much money and b: who would want to play with Rondo and Green in a couple of years, a pair demotivating mutts if I ever saw them.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    I don't think Green is a cancer at all. I think he's just passive. He's not competitive. Not in the bad way of he doesn't give a **** but he's just too nice a guy. That doesn't make for a star basketball player. I think he should be a 25-30 mpg bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don't think Green is a cancer at all. I think he's just passive. He's not competitive. Not in the bad way of he doesn't give a **** but he's just too nice a guy. That doesn't make for a star basketball player. I think he should be a 25-30 mpg bench player.
    Passivity and erratic play without rhyme or reason leads to discontent among teammates - that's cancerous. A would be team leader that doesn't lead (like Rondo and Green) is not going to lead the way to the future - thus making them anathema to growth and improvement of the team as a whole.

We need fiery intense leaders, not leaders along for the ride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Passivity and erratic play without rhyme or reason leads to discontent among teammates - that's cancerous. A would be team leader that doesn't lead (like Rondo and Green) is not going to lead the way to the future - thus making them anathema to growth and improvement of the team as a whole.

We need fiery intense leaders, not leaders along for the ride.
    Hopefully DA can find a team who would be more than happy with a leader along for the ride...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Jeff Green sucks by the numbers. The next closest Celt played 80.8% as many minutes (Bass) - kinda easy to lead the team in PPG when you're on the floor constantly.

Per 36 MPG, the Celts had NINE (9) players that scored 14.5 - 17.7 points - the least minutes of these guys was 504 for Lee. The fact that Green had the highest per 36 PPG means little when you have 8 other guys right behind you and your team won 25 games.

He was 8th in ORtg and 11th in DRtg on the Celts among regular players. He isn't near being "He's a very, very talented" player. He played like he was worth $2.5M, but got paid $9M. In order for us to get a good player back (on his rookie deal), we'd have to eat a bad deal AND pay with two draft picks - one of them a top 12 to even have a shot.

Chances are he'll be here next year pulling off that clueless act again, and he'll take that option and thus become MORE untradeable than Wallace - who at least gives a damn. Green is a cancer and he's just going to get worse, DA's worst move to date was signing him. If DA signs Rondo to a 5 year deal and keeps Green be prepared for most of our help coming from the draft and little from FA because a: we won't have much money and b: who would want to play with Rondo and Green in a couple of years, a pair demotivating mutts if I ever saw them.
    Always so cynical bags… Green was the 5th overall pick in 2007, regardless of whether or not he lived up to his potential is not up for question, he absolutely has not, but to say he isn't a talented player is flat out wrong and blinded by the bias of what he's become. Talent isn't the entire equation- Craig Hansen was a fantastic talent, but not a fantastic player obviously. The two are not the same thing.

Regarding your other point regarding a trade- Joe Johnson was traded and the hawks actually received a nice return for him. Where there is talent there is someone willing to gamble on that talent, and JJ's deal was FAR worse than Jeff Green's

vCash

Always so cynical bags… Green was the 5th overall pick in 2007, regardless of whether or not he lived up to his potential is not up for question, he absolutely has not, but to say he isn't a talented player is flat out wrong and blinded by the bias of what he's become. Talent isn't the entire equation- Craig Hansen was a fantastic talent, but not a fantastic player obviously. The two are not the same thing.

Regarding your other point regarding a trade- Joe Johnson was traded and the hawks actually received a nice return for him. Where there is talent there is someone willing to gamble on that talent, and JJ's deal was FAR worse than Jeff Green's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think there is a bit more to it than ^ this. If we look back through Jeff Green's career from college to present most of the time he has not been asked to be the "go-to" guy. The true #1 options are usually guys whohave been groomed for that role since an early age. The point here, and it ties into the thread I just started on decision-making, is simply that Green is not accustomed to being the go-to guy nor the decisions that need to be made in that role. It's not who he is because it's not who he has ever been. To judge him on the standards of a go-to guy simply because that is a role he was thrust into this season is inherently unfair to him. I don't think he will ever be a true go-to guy, but it is reasonable to think that he can grow in that role through improved decision making within it. Now, whether he ever gets that chance is another matter. Still, he should be improved in a #2 or #3 role given his experiences as a #1 this season. And that is where his value should lie.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 04-29-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI • 14m •  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCpatsox18 View Post
    Always so cynical bags… Green was the 5th overall pick in 2007, regardless of whether or not he lived up to his potential is not up for question, he absolutely has not, but to say he isn't a talented player is flat out wrong and blinded by the bias of what he's become.
    This is rubbish. You want to tell me about the talent of the #1 draft choice in the NBA last year? Or Darko perhaps?

What good is "talent" if it can't be counted on? If the player is an enigma well before he's a leader, than a 5th overall pick is a failure this late into his career. He is hands down one of the worst players in the NBA defending a pick and roll? Is that talent? Or lack of recognition or lack of effort? Who cares what sort of bow of nonsense you want to wrap him up in. The fact is as a Celtic he has woefully underperformed any sort of expectations or salary he's been paid.

Talent isn't the entire equation- Craig Hansen was a fantastic talent, but not a fantastic player obviously. The two are not the same thing.
    You want to play games of semantics with me? Who gives a steaming pile? Green is outstanding at nothing and consistent at nothing.

Joe Johnson is a volume shooter - before and after the deal and that's what they wanted. What's Green? Go ahead, tell me what Green brings game in and game out?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-28-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast