Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the season be shortened?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, I think it might work.

3 12.50%
  • No, I like it the way it is.

11 45.83%
  • Maybe, but 72 games isn't enough.

1 4.17%
  • No. No. Are you crazy?!

8 33.33%
  • How dare you? Baseball is sacred.

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

A Shorter MLB Season - Yes? No? Maybe? Crazy?

I was thinking about it this morning and I think I'd prefer a shorter season. Maybe. Hear me out. This was my thought process...

My idea was that every team plays 12 games a month, 3 games a week -- all of them on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The season still begins in April. If the 15th doesn't fall on a weekend, Jackie Robinson Day could be celebrated on the weekend that follows. It could even be renamed Jackie Robinson Week. Rain-outs would be easier to reschedule and could be played on the off days in-between series, (Monday to Thursday).

In a way, less could be more. Each game would have a much greater importance to the team and the *fans* of where they are in the standings. The NFL effect in a way of putting it.

*Speaking personally, I admit that while I love the Blue Jays, I could be considered at best a casual fan who might only catch... 50 or 60 games a season, the full 9 innings. I rely on the MLB app. I've caught about 5 or 6 games so far out of 21. 162 is a lot, and they can get past people sometimes if they're busy.*

Back on topic... You could assume (hope) that the fewer games would in turn increase the average attendance for teams. Unfortunately, not every MLB city has the same support traditional markets like San Francisco, St. Louis, Boston, Los Angeles, New York or Chicago (Cubs) have. It's just the way it is.

Fewer games = less wear and tear? And if someone was injured for an extended time, the team wouldn't suffer as much because the player wasn't missing a ton of games. Also a tighter rotation, a 3-man starting rotation. The 4 and 5 pitchers are assigned to the bullpen and they can be shuffled around and be put back into the rotation.

If each team plays 12 times a month (3 each week) from April to September, that would be 72 games total. As usual, playoffs commence in October at which point the season's weekend format would be done away with and it goes back to the way it is currently.

I'm not thinking about how divisional games would play out and how many, but in the case of Interleague play, there could be an entire month where each National League team plays four different American League teams and vice versa. Regional rivalries like Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Dodgers-Angels and Giants-Athletics are a given here.

I might be missing something else but I don't know. I've said enough and I'm sure you've already made up your mind before reaching this point.

Well, what are your thoughts? Let me have it!

Like it or loathe it?
    Is this crazy? Am I crazy?
    What's best for the League?

vCash
    Should they shorten the baseball season? Imo yes. I don't like teams playing in freezing cold weather in cities like NY, Boston, Minneapolis, Denver, etc in early to mid April. I know they play can in those same cities in October as well but that's the postseason. The regular season should certainly be condensed.

That said, will it ever happen? No and the simple answer is individual teams and MLB will not give up the lost revenue in an abbreviated season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-24-2014 at 06:19 PM.

vCash
    Love it the way it is.

vCash
    Love it the way it is (in terms of length)

And any shorter would feel way too short for me.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind a shortened season and then increase the playoffs. 7 games series each (I'd say you'd have to add another WC team since the top team can't have a week+ bye).

However about the 72ish games you said is waaaayyyy too short. That's shorter than the NBA and NHL and MLB is easily the least physically taxing of those sports.

I think you're also removing starting pitchers from the game. You'd need 5 at most starters and that's 2 being spot starters/minor league callups.

I'd keep the Friday - Sunday series. Maybe find a way to do only 4 game and 3 game series. Thursday thru Sunday and then your next series is Friday thru Sunday followed by A Friday thru Monday. Teams have off Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

You could start the season in May instead of April? Or August could be the last month with September/October being playoffs. 144ish game season wouldn't be bad.

I'm perfectly fine with the way it is but I'd shorten it if it meant more playoff games (like I said, all 7 game series)

vCash
    I thought about the idea of starting in May but I didn't know what would happen with Jackie Robinson Day.

72 probably is far too short for a lot of people but I was thinking about how it could make every series that much more important and intense in the grand scheme of things, to go 2-1 or 3-0. Of course this is all a silly "what if" idea, and I'm just curious as to what fans would find more ideal: doing nothing or yes, shortening the season.

vCash
    The season is fine the way it is. No need to change it

vCash
    im ok with the way it currently is, but wouldnt be uspet with a shorter season
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    What about individual games? Like 7 innings instead of 9

vCash
    I think consider all the playoff games, they should definitely should drop back down to 154.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBrains View Post
    What about individual games? Like 7 innings instead of 9
    **** that noise
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Not a chance. Nothing I love more then looking forward to at least 1 game every day whether it's my Cubs or some other matchup.

vCash
    No shortening the season. What I'd like to see is the season shortened by having double headers incorporated into the schedule. Every Sunday half the league has a double header.
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    More doubleheaders with a 3 day break in late August.

vCash
    That's way too short. I think 140-154 games would be more reasonable, make the WC game a 3 games series.

Less in division games, 15 games within your division. Which makes it 60 games.

2 Series against the teams from your league: 70 games (10 teams, 7 games between 2 series).

Around 14-24 games against the other league, 6 games against your historic/same town opponent and the remaining games against others(changes every season).

I'll use the Yankees as an example:

- 15 games against the Red Sox
    - 15 games against the Orioles
    - 15 games against the Rays
    - 15 games against the Blue Jays
    - 10 games against the Tigers
    - 10 games against the White Sox
    - 10 games against the Indians
    - 10 games against the Royals
    - 10 games against the Twins
    - 10 games against the Angels
    - 10 games against the A's
    - 10 games against the Rangers
    - 10 games against the Mariners
    - 10 games against the Astros
    - 6 games against the Mets
    - 3 games against the Cubs
    - 3 games against the Phillies
    - 3 games against the Cardinals
    - 3 games against the Giants
    - 3 games against the Dodgers
    - 3 games against the Nationals

154 games total, mandatory 1 day-off every 2 weeks, 3 days off in the ASB.
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast