0 0%
  • Viktor Loov

0 0%
  • Eric Knodel

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Maple Leafs Top 10 Prospect Voting: 1-5

The Jays forum does this every year so I figured we should give it a shot here. The goal is to make a top 10-15 list from what you guys think about our prospects and then discuss the list. I'm leaving out Morgan Rielly because he's played a full year in the NHL and would be the clear cut #1 guy. Each poll will be open for 1 week. Below is my last update from the prospect thread if it helps you guys:

OHL:

W Connor Brown: GP: 65, G: 43, A: 80, PTS: 123, +40
    C Carter Verhaeghe: GP: 61, G: 28, A: 51, PTS: 79, -16
    C Ryan Rupert: GP: 65, G: 21, A: 48, PTS: 69, +36
    D Matt Finn: GP: 63, G: 14, A: 44, PTS: 58, +44

QMJHL:

C Frederik Gauthier: GP: 51, G: 18, A: 32, PTS: 50, +19
    W Fabrice Herzog: GP: 58, G: 32, A: 24, PTS: 56, +17
    G Antoine Bibeau: GP: 46, Record: 19-18-6, GAA: 3.22, SV%: .905

NCAA:

C Tony Cameranesi: GP: 34, G: 6, A: 14, PTS: 20, +1
    C Dominic Toninato: GP: 33, G: 7, A: 7, PTS: 14, +2
    D Eric Knodel: GP: 36, G: 7, A: 20, PTS: 20, +15

Europe:

W Andreas Johnson: GP: 44, G: 15, A: 9, PTS: 24, -2 (SHL)
    W Teemu Hartikainen: GP: 47, G: 14, A: 16, PTS: 30, +5 (KHL)
    D Tom Nilsson: GP: 50, G: 2, A: 2, PTS: 4, -5 (SHL)
    D Viktor Loov: GP: 42, G: 5, A: 7, PTS: 12, +2 (SHL)

AHL:

G Garret Sparks: GP: 12, Record: 6-5-0, GAA: 2.69, SV%: .915
    G Christopher Gibson: GP: 4, Record: 3-1-0, GAA: 1.51, SV%: .947
    D Stuart Percy: GP: 54, G: 2, A: 16, PTS: 18, +1
    D Petter Granberg: GP: 57, G: 2, A: 4, PTS: 6, +18
    D Andrew MacWilliam: GP: 48, G: 0, A: 5, PTS: 5, -2
    C Greg McKegg: GP: 48, G: 13, A: 25, PTS: 38, +2
    C Sam Carrick: GP: 45, G: 6, A: 15, PTS: 21, +11
    W Tyler Biggs: GP: 48, G: 6, A: 2, PTS: 8, -4
    W Carter Ashton: GP: 16, G: 13, A: 5, PTS: 18, +8
    W Brandon Kozun: GP: 62, G: 17, A: 28, PTS: 45, +8
    W Kenny Ryan: GP: 33, G: 4, A: 6, PTS: 10, -6
    W Josh Leivo: GP: 44, G: 16, A: 14, PTS: 30, +2
    W Spencer Abbott: GP: 55, G: 14, A: 48, PTS: 62, +12
    W Jerry D'Amigo: GP: 41, G: 17, A: 10, PTS: 27, +5
    W Brad Ross: GP: 46, G: 5, A: 2, PTS: 7, -15
    W David Broll: GP: 47, G: 3, A: 10, PTS: 13, +1
    W Jamie Devane: GP: 40, G: 3, A: 1, PTS: 4, -5
    Last edited by JaysLeafs98; 04-24-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

vCash
    I went with Granberg at this point. I think he's going to come into camp even bigger next year and easily get into our top 4 by game 20 IMO. He boxed out guys better in his 14 minutes of ice than the rest of our D did all year. He will never put up points but he's gonna be a defensive stud for years.

vCash
    Percy, Finn, Gauthier, Brown, Granberg, Leivo would be my picks. No idea who #1 would be. Not a solid group of prospects to be honest. Hopefully if we pick at 8 we can hit a home run.

vCash
    ^This is why I'm interested in building a top 10 list based on what you guys think because I have my favourites, but others might think differently

vCash
    Percy, and it's not close for me.

Percy
    Biggs
    Finn
    Gauthier
    Leivo

are my top five in order. I don't count Granberg because i though he would be on this team out of training camp. In my mind, he's already a part of the team. Sadly, those 6 specs are all desperately needed on this team. They aren't game-breakers but they add "intangibles" and more importantly defense (even Leivo a little bit i guess).

Because Dion and Rielly are here long-term (in my eyes), guys like Gardiner and Gunnarsson are candidates for a trade. Not because they suck, or because i don't like them (Gunnarsson is my fav player if Kulemin leaves) it's because neither are going to be better than Dion is now (in my estimation) and neither have Rielly ceiling. And because we have two LHD in Percy and Finn that are close, and both give us a different look than Gardiner/Gunnar (although Percy plays a Gunnar type of game). Simply put, the Left side is stacked if Dion shifts back over, which needs to happen.

I'd love it if the Leafs could swing a trade for Bogosian right now. Last year, i wanted us to go hard after Johanssen despite his "meh" 2013 season because you just knew he was going to break out soon. I see that same thing in Bogo. Rough 55 games, didn't do badly but didn't set the world on fire (like some thought he could). Defenseman mature later than Forwards. I already like Bogo's game a ton.

I would try something like: Gunnarsson, Kadri, Franson, #8 for Bogosian, Burmistrov, #7, and maybe a spec if it needs to be balanced out. Leafs get their RHD #2 defenseman for Kadri plus "spare parts" (circumstance-wise) and also move up in the draft.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 04-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    ^ I know you love your Percy lol. I still think Granberg will be a better player but I would love to see that as our 2nd pair in a year or so. I included everyone who has year to play a full season in the NHL, and took out the older guys like Holzer and Abbott with little to no upside. I really hope the Marlies go with all young guys next year and forget this "veteran leader" stuff because Spott plays the crap out of those guys and slows the development of others (drove me nuts in Kitchener playing useless overager's big minutes).

Note: Watch out for Tom Nilsson next year as well, He could end up being the best of the bunch on D and is a righty as well.

vCash
    We´re stacked on D for sure. You can´t count Rielly as a prospect anymore. But we got Granberg, Percy, Finn and Nilsson who will probably develop into solid NHL players. Then you got Knodel and Loov as your wild cards and Gardiner and Rielly already in the line up. It´s pretty crazy.

I dare say Granberg can be a shut down guy in a year or two. The way he dominated in the AHL and the impression he made in his first game up. He might just void our need for a big trade on D. Try him out with Dion next year!

I think on offense we´re a bit thin at the top. Lots of future Bottom 4 guys like Gauthier, Biggs, Devane, D`Amigo, but no clear cut future scorers.

But also: There´s depth. You got Holland already on NHL level, Leivo could turn out to be a real NHL goal scorer, Brown has shown time and time again that he´s good for a surprise or two as well. Johnson, Verhaege, McKegg and Ashton have lots of upside as well.

I really like our prospects. Like I said many times: We could build something special within 3 years.

vCash
    Our prospect pool is shallower than many think. Let's be honest here though boys.. all fan bases overrate their prospects. Listening to Kyper and Dreger on deadline day, they said most other teams aren't high on our prospects and that's why swinging deals is hard for us regardless of cap space because solid prospects are solid currency. I'm guilty of over rating too, but our prospect pool is weak and everyone in the league knows it. That's why I brought up firing Morrison months ago and people opposed me. Now someone brings it up recently in another thread and posters warm to the idea lol.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 04-25-2014 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    ^ We have a lot of 3rd line players up front and no high end guys. Goaltending is weak, but our D could really be something special. If we're rating our system as a whole it's not very good at all, but the Defense is something sweet.

vCash
    Granberg for me, he looks legit and could slot into our 2nd pairing next season without a worry I feel.

Interested to see when/if Connor Brown's ability will translate in the NHL as well.

vCash
    ^Browns season just finished with Erie so hopefully he gets a look with a crowded Marlies lineup in the playoffs.

vCash
    There's no clear-cut top prospect in the system IMO but anyways-

1-Finn
    2-Leivo
    3-Percy
    4-Granberg
    5-Nilsson/Gauthier

No great prospects but all of these guys will make the club within 2 years. I know Brown had a great year but I don't think he'll be an NHL regular.

Edit-Are Holland and D'amigo still seen as prospects? If so, both would have to make everyone's top 5 based on the fact that both will be regulars next season.
    Last edited by Halladay; 04-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    There's no clear-cut top prospect in the system IMO but anyways-

1-Finn
    2-Leivo
    3-Percy
    4-Granberg
    5-Nilsson/Gauthier

No great prospects but all of these guys will make the club within 2 years. I know Brown had a great year but I don't think he'll be an NHL regular.

Edit-Are Holland and D'amigo still seen as prospects? If so, both would have to make everyone's top 5 based on the fact that both will be regulars next season.
    I counted everyone who has yet to play a full NHL season. I would have Holland and D'Amigo in the top 10 at the very least, but with this I'm taking upside into account as well. D'amigo and Holland could be good third liners, but a bunch of our D (mainly the 4 you listed) would be higher than them on any list at this point. We really need to add a pure scorer in this draft. Hopefully with 8th overall.

vCash
    Yeah obviously if Holland counts as a spec he's right at the top. I would agree with you 98 that the D has the got upside. They all won't turn out but could be 1 or 2 top 4 guys in there.

vCash
    If Nilsson and Granberg can even be serviceable NHLers from the right side (So.. way better than Franson) this team is in awesome shape on the back end moving forward.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast