Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Oscar Robertson commenting on Melo

Al_Iannazzone: Oscar Robertson on SiriusXM NBA Radio said if he were Carmelo Anthony, "I would leave today."

Al_Iannazzone: More Big O on Melo: "If I were Carmelo I would say, ‘Listen, I’m not gonna stay here and take all this gruff and all this criticism...."

IanBegley: Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson says on @SiriusXMNBA that Carmelo should leave the #Knicks as an FA because he gets criticized too often in NY

KBergCBS: Column: Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson says Carmelo Anthony should leave New York 'today.' Welcome back, Melodrama. http://t.co/EfNsiLVEj0
    Last edited by stefanmusic; 04-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    vCash
    Well nobody asked him now he should shut the hell up

vCash

Oscar Robertson commenting on Melo

Fair opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeTsGoNyKnIcKs View Post
    Well nobody asked him now he should shut the hell up
    Lol dumb comment^. Actually someone did ask him, hence this thread.

Chances are no one asks you and yet your sharing your opinion....

vCash
    After what happened last season i wouldnt be upset if he did walk, though it would be nice if we could get a sign n trade out of it. Either way I'm excited about the changes in the org. We will finally be running a championship type system and it starts from the top (executive) down (staff). There are plenty of teams that don't have all the right pieces and still manage to make the playoffs. With the right players and system, we will be just fine without carmelo.

vCash
    Oscar Robertson to Melo: Leave the Knicks in Your Rear-View Mirror
    April 24th, 2014 12:38 pm

Adam Zagoria

The way Oscar Robertson sees it, Carmelo Anthony will never be appreciated with the Knicks and should leave New York.

Now.

“Wherever that kid’s gone, when he was at Denver, they had a team that fooled around with the ball, fooled around with the ball, then all of the sudden when they needed a basket, threw it to Carmelo,” Robertson told Spike Lee on his SiriusXM NBA Radio program. “Then, when he shot the ball, they said he shot too much. Then, when he didn’t shoot, they said he didn’t shoot enough. No matter what he does in New York, they’re going to criticize him, the people are going to criticize him, because you got guys on [the Knicks] that just cannot play.”

The Big O’s advice to Melo: leave.

“If I were Carmelo, I would say, ‘Listen, I’m not gonna stay here and take all this gruff and all this criticism. You got other guys on the team making $12, $15, $16 million and doing nothing, and here I am averaging 28, 29 points per game,’” Robertson said.

Knicks President Phil Jackson said Wednesday he hopes Anthony will stay true to his word and take less than max money to remain with the Knicks so they can add other players around him.

Meantime, Chicago and Houston are expected to pursue Anthony, especially if the Bulls are bounced in the first round.

“If he goes to Houston, they’re gonna win everything,” Robertson said. “You look at LeBron, LeBron’s got a great game, Durant’s got a great game – they can’t out-shoot Carmelo.”

Robertson believes Anthony is a better scorer than Durant — and that he takes too much heat.

“I’m telling you right now,” Robertson said, “the kid, he can just get that shot away. He’s gotten smarter, he’s going to the basket a lot.”
    “What gets me,” Robertson added, “everyone thinks that everything that happens bad is [Anthony's] fault.”

vCash
    My personal opinion is that Houston is the greatest threat in terms of enticing Melo to walk.

Chicago is another destination, but the questions over Rose's knee are going to be a significant factor. That and Chicago's ownership has a reputation for being cheap.

I just don't see the Lakers being a real threat.

Hopefully Phil can either persuade him to stay or get a decent haul back.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    I'm already sick of this Melo stuff, if he wants to leave see ya (Michael Kay voice), its not really going to change my viewership of the Knicks to be honest, I'm still going to root for them, and with Phil in charge, a man with a proven precedence for winning, I know sooner than later the Knicks will compete again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knickerbockerny View Post
    I'm already sick of this Melo stuff, if he wants to leave see ya (Michael Kay voice), its not really going to change my viewership of the Knicks to be honest, I'm still going to root for them, and with Phil in charge, a man with a proven precedence for winning, I know sooner than later the Knicks will compete again.

I couldn't agree more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanmusic View Post
    Oscar Robertson to Melo: Leave the Knicks in Your Rear-View Mirror
    April 24th, 2014 12:38 pm

Adam Zagoria

The way Oscar Robertson sees it, Carmelo Anthony will never be appreciated with the Knicks and should leave New York.

Now.

“Wherever that kid’s gone, when he was at Denver, they had a team that fooled around with the ball, fooled around with the ball, then all of the sudden when they needed a basket, threw it to Carmelo,” Robertson told Spike Lee on his SiriusXM NBA Radio program. “Then, when he shot the ball, they said he shot too much. Then, when he didn’t shoot, they said he didn’t shoot enough. No matter what he does in New York, they’re going to criticize him, the people are going to criticize him, because you got guys on [the Knicks] that just cannot play.”

The Big O’s advice to Melo: leave.

“If I were Carmelo, I would say, ‘Listen, I’m not gonna stay here and take all this gruff and all this criticism. You got other guys on the team making $12, $15, $16 million and doing nothing, and here I am averaging 28, 29 points per game,’” Robertson said.

Knicks President Phil Jackson said Wednesday he hopes Anthony will stay true to his word and take less than max money to remain with the Knicks so they can add other players around him.

Meantime, Chicago and Houston are expected to pursue Anthony, especially if the Bulls are bounced in the first round.

“If he goes to Houston, they’re gonna win everything,” Robertson said. “You look at LeBron, LeBron’s got a great game, Durant’s got a great game – they can’t out-shoot Carmelo.”

Robertson believes Anthony is a better scorer than Durant — and that he takes too much heat.

“I’m telling you right now,” Robertson said, “the kid, he can just get that shot away. He’s gotten smarter, he’s going to the basket a lot.”
    “What gets me,” Robertson added, “everyone thinks that everything that happens bad is [Anthony's] fault.”
    And Robertson's opinion is a reflection of his mentality, which didn't lead to any championships.

Robertson should watch some extensive game films before coming out with a definitive statement. Yeah Melo scored, but the whole offensive scheme revolved around Melo taking as many shots as possible. Even at my age, if a whole offense was constructed around me getting the ball and me scoring, I could get 15-20 per game in the NBA. I wouldn't shoot a great percentage and I probably would get roughed up on defense (not as bad as Harden though).

And calling out the other guys on the team who either did not get the ball or get it in spots where they could be effective, does not really make Melo a better player or those guys worse players.

If Amare got the same number of shot attempts that Melo got, he would have averaged a healthy PPG too. If Tyson was featured more for stretches in games like last year, he would have gotten more points and more FT attempts. You can't be a selfish ball hog, hero ball playing guy and then turn around and say you all didn't help me enough.

When LeBron failed in Cleveland, he turned around and looked at what he had to do to win. He joined with Wade and Bosh, taking less money to win. When they lost to Dallas their first try, LeBron looked at what he had to do to get over that hump, spending time with specialized trainers to improve his mindset. Remember reading a good article about it. I could care less about LeBron, but he pushes to win, he is driven to win and his actions show that.

Melo? Not as much.

Melo supporters can't take the criticism so they call people who objectively criticize haters. Melo is great at what he does, no doubt, but he has never at the NBA level ever had the attitude of "whatever needs to be done for the team to win" I will do that. "Whatever I need to do or change, I will do that to win."

When the "Big 3" got together in Boston, they got together and submitted to doing whatever needed to be done to win. Maybe once Melo signs his final big contract he will be able to put everything else aside and just do whatever it takes for the team to win.

vCash
    Avery Johnson said Melo should leave on SAS show if he wants to win a ship. As long as we get something back I would be ok with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    And Robertson's opinion is a reflection of his mentality, which didn't lead to any championships.

Robertson should watch some extensive game films before coming out with a definitive statement. Yeah Melo scored, but the whole offensive scheme revolved around Melo taking as many shots as possible. Even at my age, if a whole offense was constructed around me getting the ball and me scoring, I could get 15-20 per game in the NBA. I wouldn't shoot a great percentage and I probably would get roughed up on defense (not as bad as Harden though).

And calling out the other guys on the team who either did not get the ball or get it in spots where they could be effective, does not really make Melo a better player or those guys worse players.

If Amare got the same number of shot attempts that Melo got, he would have averaged a healthy PPG too. If Tyson was featured more for stretches in games like last year, he would have gotten more points and more FT attempts. You can't be a selfish ball hog, hero ball playing guy and then turn around and say you all didn't help me enough.

When LeBron failed in Cleveland, he turned around and looked at what he had to do to win. He joined with Wade and Bosh, taking less money to win. When they lost to Dallas their first try, LeBron looked at what he had to do to get over that hump, spending time with specialized trainers to improve his mindset. Remember reading a good article about it. I could care less about LeBron, but he pushes to win, he is driven to win and his actions show that.

Melo? Not as much.

Melo supporters can't take the criticism so they call people who objectively criticize haters. Melo is great at what he does, no doubt, but he has never at the NBA level ever had the attitude of "whatever needs to be done for the team to win" I will do that. "Whatever I need to do or change, I will do that to win."

When the "Big 3" got together in Boston, they got together and submitted to doing whatever needed to be done to win. Maybe once Melo signs his final big contract he will be able to put everything else aside and just do whatever it takes for the team to win.
    Really? Oscar was LeBron before LeBron as far as how his game was. He's the only person to average a triple double in a season and 4 other times was 1 or less assist or 1 or less rebound away from doing it again. He's also arguably a top 5 player in NBA history. That comment was off base...what exactly was his mentality that, by the way, did get him an NBA championship? Was it his fault that he only won 1 or was it that the Celtics were too busy winning 11/13?

When people say the players around aren't good enough, sometimes that is truly the reason. Oscar didn't win until he got help from Kareem. That is probably the reason for 98% of the players that never won. That is the reason Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Miami have every championship the past 24 yrs except 5 (2 of which were won by Houston). That's the reason the Lakers and Celtics have more than half of all the titles. If a team does not have one of the top 2 or 3 players of the generation or a collection of great players, that team most likely will not win a championship regardless of how good their best player is. The history speaks for itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Really? Oscar was LeBron before LeBron as far as how his game was. He's the only person to average a triple double in a season and 4 other times was 1 or less assist or 1 or less rebound away from doing it again. He's also arguably a top 5 player in NBA history. That comment was off base...what exactly was his mentality that, by the way, did get him an NBA championship? Was it his fault that he only won 1 or was it that the Celtics were too busy winning 11/13?

When people say the players around aren't good enough, sometimes that is truly the reason. Oscar didn't win until he got help from Kareem. That is probably the reason for 98% of the players that never won. That is the reason Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Miami have every championship the past 24 yrs except 5 (2 of which were won by Houston). That's the reason the Lakers and Celtics have more than half of all the titles. If a team does not have one of the top 2 or 3 players of the generation or a collection of great players, that team most likely will not win a championship regardless of how good their best player is. The history speaks for itself.

Great post. The Big O is basically saying fans here like the one you quoted don't appreciate Melo's game and echoed most of our feelings about the current roster.

I personally don't think he should leave I think Phil can do wonders for his career but I certainly understand the perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post

Perfect you nailed it!
    Knicks and 49ers!

vCash
    Melo can win and he can do it on the Knicks. He is a top player in this league and a top 3 -5 scorer. He is one of the goto guys that you want with the ball to take you to the promised land.

He needs to have the confidence in himself, the team and the system to do it. That's what is wrong or missing and that is what this team has not been prioritizing. I think with Jackson in place and with a lot of contracts becoming either traceable or just melting off the cap we can do that.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast