Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Basketball Report: Melo wants the 'Dwight Howard' free-agency experience

The Sporting News reports on the same day that the Knicks fired coach Mike Woodson that star Carmelo Anthony, who has an opt-out into free agency this summer he's indicated he'll use, wants the full expeience. Described as "the Dwight Howard treatment," Anthony wants to set up meetings with suitors, something LeBron James did in 2010 prior to "The Decision" and then choose from a menu of teams vying for his services.

Perhaps most interestingly, the Sporting News suggests Howard's own experiences with the PR hit of leaving a big-market team could have an impact:

Free agency will open July 1, and, the source said, Anthony would like, “the Dwight Howard treatment.” That means he wants to go through the same sort of process that Howard went through last summer, when Howard set up shop in Los Angeles and set up meetings with five teams — Houston, the Lakers, Dallas, Golden State and Atlanta — each of whom came in and made formal presentations.

Anthony has not finalized any list of teams, but the Knicks and Bulls are certain to be on it. Chicago would have to shed salary to accommodate Anthony, but the Bulls will make Anthony their offseason priority. Chicago has its amnesty provision available and could use it to dump the contract of forward Carlos Boozer.

While Anthony is conscious of the poor PR that would come from jilting his hometown Knicks, it is — again — Howard's situation that has most altered his view. Howard left Orlando and dumped the Lakers after just one season, and went through a gauntlet of bad PR in doing so. But Howard seems genuinely happy in Houston, even if getting there was difficult. And for Howard, the storm of bad publicity has long since passed.

via SN Source: Woodson firing won't impact Anthony's free-agency decision—winning will - NBA - Sporting News.

Reading between the lines, that's not great news for the Knicks. Things are lining up against their chances of retaining the star forward. First, the cap is projected to be higher than expected, opening up more room for teams to sign him. While the Knicks will still be able to offer him an extra year and the most money, Houston will be in a position to leverage its lack of a state income tax to take some of that advantage away.

Meanwhile, Chicago will have star power (Derrick Rose), a player Anthony admires (Joakim Noah), a talented coach, and a similarly big market with success already in place.

Looks like we're headed for yet another summer with a superstar fielding visits from suitors bringing gifts and pleading for his services. We'll find out if the money is the most important thing to Anthony, or if winning truly plays as big a part in the decision as he says it does.

vCash
    And rightfully so. He never had that like other stars before so I don't see the problem.

Even lesser players had this process of teams doing presentations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post
    And rightfully so. He never had that like other stars before so I don't see the problem.

Even lesser players had this process of teams doing presentations.
    I'm glad he didn't say that Lebron treatment cause if Carmelo did the decision in NY I would be pissed.

vCash
    This is all kinds of crap.

Melo wants someone to suck him off so he can feel good about himself. All this "I want to see what it is like to be a free agent" crap is BS. Plain and simple. All the players that have won, have wanted to go to where they think they could win and some have never "wanted to be a free agent" for the adulation and attention.

Melo's character reveals itself day by day, and more an more it says "NOT A WINNER"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post

Melo wants someone to suck him off so he can feel good about himself. All this "I want to see what it is like to be a free agent" crap is BS. Plain and simple. All the players that have won, have wanted to go to where they think they could win and some have never "wanted to be a free agent" for the adulation and attention.

Melo's character reveals itself day by day, and more an more it says "NOT A WINNER"
    Dwade/lebron/bosh had interviews from different teams and they all knew from day 1 they was going to play together. Come on stop it

Flawed superstar but he wants to see who can provide him a winning product. If he resigns with the knicks without knowing a gameplan to win chips I agree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post

All I'm saying if he does want to go won't be mad but at least let us get something for him. If he want to got to the rockets I'd take chandler parson , Omer Asik and Lin since all their contracts would end after next season

vCash
    Ugh... I'm so tired of these stars and the garbage they try to feed people to justify whatever they are doing or want to do.

Just say you want to leave and be done with it.

vCash
    That's funny, because I was just about to say that Melo should make a pitch for why we should continue paying him to play for us.

"I promise I'll play defense this year! I mean, for a minute. Maybe a month. Okay, a week. You know what? I ain't playing defense. This coach sucks. Fire his ***. Wait, what? Phil, quit pushin me out the door! Hey-HEY!"

vCash
    why not melo hasn't sat down with phil yet and the playoffs are still going if the bulls and rockets both get knocked out I think that goes into melo's decision also ntm melo is a smart dude all the media attention brought from this would make him more money and atleast we should have a set date on when he'll decide

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Jared Dudley>>>>>>Melo.

vCash
    seriously the guy holds the knicks hostage, threatening to sign an extension with the nets if the knicks don't trade for him costing us to give up chandler, mozgov, gallinari, a pick that turned into the 12th pick this year, the rights to swap picks again in 2016 so that he can play allstar but not superstar level basketball and then test FA? He could have signed here as a FA, we could then have traded Gallinari or Wilson to net a pg but no, he needed that extra 25 mil guaranteed, most of which he will opt out of all so that now that he "doesn't need the money" he can peace out?

i'm all down with the trade Melo to Houston solution for Asik, Lin and Terrence Jones (I want him more than parsons) and tank our **** next year and pray for a stud in the draft then sign some complimentary FA's in 2015 and go from there.

vCash
    to be honest
    if melo goes or stay i honestly don't care
    i just don't want him to take the full max

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewmania View Post
    to be honest
    Well Phil already outplayed Melo when it comes to max money. PJ came out and said he hopes to be able to take Melo at his word that he'll play for less in order to have a great team around him. If Melo renegs he looks bad and PJ can move on without being the fall guy. Don't mess with PJ..He's waaaayyyy smarter than anyone we've had around here since Pat the Rat

vCash
    Hes as good as gone. Writing is on tbew wall now

#KNICKSTAPE #PLAYOFF2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewmania View Post
    to be honest
    Exactly how i feel about him! 17-19 mil, take it or leave it, 24 mil is too darn much!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackadalic View Post
    Dwade/lebron/bosh had interviews from different teams and they all knew from day 1 they was going to play together. Come on stop it

Flawed superstar but he wants to see who can provide him a winning product. If he resigns with the knicks without knowing a gameplan to win chips I agree
    C'mon now. His words reflect "wanting to be wanted" feeling like the "prettiest girl in the room". If you're about winning and business, then reflect that in your statements/actions. Say, "I am opting out because it's the best business decision for my career and I want to make sure I am choosing the place where I feel I will have the greatest chance to win a championship."

I want the Dwight Howard experience?

The same Dwight that got his coach fired before souring on his team and fans, got traded to a 1st class winning organization and didn't like it there only to leave for Houston which was an identical situation.

This just reveals Melo's character. He is a top player in the league. Any team would be happy to sign him. But he wants to see who wants him and how much they want him so he can feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Awwwwww!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast