Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lightbulb Ron Harper also expecting Knicks interview

One day after Steve Kerr said he “anticipates” speaking to Phil Jackson about the Knicks head-coaching job, Ron Harper told The Post he believes he will interview for a position with the Knicks, as well.
    Harper won NBA five titles under Jackson as a combo guard, playing five seasons in Chicago for the new Knicks team president and two seasons with the Lakers. He was also a teammate of Kerr’s in Chicago and Cleveland.
    Harper said he has texted with Jackson a few times since he got the Knicks job.
    “I would expect so,” Harper said of interviewing for a coaching job. “A few guys are expecting to hear from him. We’re in a wait-and-see mode. Whatever he needs me to do, I will do. He knows that.”
    Harper, who lives in Wayne, N.J., works part-time for the NBA doing overseas camps and also helps run a basketball program called Overtime Sports in New Jersey. He was a Pistons assistant coach under Flip Saunders for two seasons in the mid-2000s after playing 15 seasons in the NBA. But he hasn’t been an NBA coach since 2007.
    “One thing Phil wants to do is teach what he knows and teach the triangle,” Harper said. “I know it like the back of my hand, inside out, and he knows I love the game.”
    Kerr is the leading candidate to replace Mike Woodson, who was fired Monday. There have been a handful of former Jackson players mentioned as potential candidates for the open head coach and assistant positions.
    “Phil’s a smart guy,” Harper said. “When you’re president, you try to bring in guys who are close to you. Phil’s got a game plan and only he knows it. We’ll wait and see.”
    The triangle is considered too complicated for many coaches to install, but Harper disagrees.
    “It’s not hard, it’s just getting five guys on the same page,” Harper said. “You just got to have guys who understand what their roles are, are very good passers, very smart and are interchangeable.”
    Will Carmelo Anthony fit in well to the new geometry?
    “I definitely think he’s very smart, with a high basketball IQ,” Harper said. “I think it’s been tough for him seeing him get it so far away from the hoop and having to go through two, three, four guys. This way he can be more one-on-one.”
    Harper took in five games at the Garden this season and saw the Knicks’ late-game travails, with Anthony often the culprit.
    “The triangle is really good for the final four minutes,” Harper said. “They lost a lot of close games where you’d say: ‘What was that play called?’
    “One thing about Phil, he will put his stamp on New York basketball. It’ll be hard to do it this summer with the salary cap and no draft picks but in a year or two, when they’re under the cap it will happen.”
    Kerr will call the Nets-Raptors game Sunday for TNT, so he’ll be in the city then to potentially meet with Jackson. There have been reports that though Kerr wants to coach the Knicks next season, he would prefer a West Coast team. But will there be a vacancy?
    Kerr lives in San Diego and the Lakers should have a job opportunity with Mike D’Antoni on thin ice. However, it seems unlikely Lakers president Jeanie Buss will try to steal Kerr from her fiancée, Jackson. If Mark Jackson gets the Warriors past the Clippers in the first round, it would seem hard to imagine he would be fired. That series is 1-1.
    Nevertheless, a Kerr confidant said he probably would listen to other teams, but Jackson stands as clear favorite for Kerr’s services.
    “One thing you want to look into is whether Kerr would fully be on board with being away from his family in San Diego,” one NBA source said. “I know even when he ran Phoenix, he many times went back and forth between Phoenix and San Diego and even recently has had trepidations about going back into the NBA because of wanting to spend time with his family.”

vCash
    “The triangle is really good for the final four minutes,” Harper said. “They lost a lot of close games where you’d say: ‘What was that play called?’
    “One thing about Phil, he will put his stamp on New York basketball. It’ll be hard to do it this summer with the salary cap and no draft picks but in a year or two, when they’re under the cap it will happen.”

That's coaching. Glad Woodson is gone

vCash
    kerr might go to the warriors so this is pj just showing we got more options harper would be a good fit too but if we don't get kerr I want fisher dude already looks like a coach out there

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Jared Dudley>>>>>>Melo.

vCash
    lol no
    Future Ace

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by east fb knicks View Post
    kerr might go to the warriors so this is pj just showing we got more options harper would be a good fit too but if we don't get kerr I want fisher dude already looks like a coach out there
    Durant is not letting Fisher leave OKC anytime soon.
    OKC wouldn't have won all those games without Derek Fisher coaching Durant from the bench and on the court with Westbrook in suit n tie.

This is a BIG opportunity for Kerr as a Coach/GM in the Big-Apple, to get back in the GM seat.

I dont know much about Ron Harper as a coach, but as a leadership-player Ron gets a A+.
    6.6 Point-forward Ron Harper has always been the MAN in the NBA
    Ron Harper's 2nd season in the NBA he was in the same athletic high IQ class as Jordan/Pippin.
    Ron Harper was exiled from Cleveland Cavs to the L.A Clippers cheap owner who had great players retire from the NBA in their early twenties.
    Back then, no NBA or college player wanted to wear a Clippers jersey in the 1980's or 90's.

If it wasnt for Phil Jackson signing a walking FA Ron Harper, he wouldve been another short memory (4 season) of a outstanding player in the NBA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stressindecade View Post
    OKC wouldn't have won all those games without Derek Fisher coaching Durant from the bench and on the court with Westbrook in suit n tie.

This is a BIG opportunity for Kerr as a Coach/GM in the Big-Apple, to get back in the GM seat.

I dont know much about Ron Harper as a coach, but as a leadership-player Ron gets a A+.
    Ron Harper's 2nd season in the NBA he was in the same athletic high IQ class as Jordan/Pippin.
    Ron Harper was exiled from Cleveland Cavs to the L.A Clippers cheap owner who had great players retire from the NBA in their early twenties.
    Back then, no NBA or college player wanted to wear a Clippers jersey in the 1980's or 90's.

If it wasnt for Phil Jackson signing a walking FA Ron Harper, he wouldve been another short memory (4 season) of a outstanding player in the NBA.
    I've always like Harper. His game, his approach, his attitude.

I would be happy with Harper as part of the coaching staff.

vCash
    Bring em on Phil.

We need all of the quality minds we can get. Put him on Kerr's staff. Would try to add D.Fish as well.

JETS KNICKS YANKEES

vCash
    He actually has a few years as an assistant so it can help.

vCash
    I guess Knicks will hire everyone who knows triangle.

vCash
    He probably fits that assistant coach role more than a head coach IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if he's part of the coaching staff regardless and none of us should complain about it either. Harper was one tough dude and I'm sure he still is...

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Is he over that damn stuttering problem? We don't have time for that **** in a 20 sec TO situation. I like these guys as assistants (Harper-Kerr) but not HC's.

Maybe Kurt Rambis....these all Phil boys but they're not Phil.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Maybe .....just maybe harper.. Fisher and Kerr are all part of a bigger plan and a group plan ...who knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stressindecade View Post

fisher said this will be his last year I want kerr first because him and phil are very close but if he wants the dubs job fk him d fish would be another good fit cuz he has the leadership and would have the respect of all the players from day 1 but harper wouldn't be a bad fit either imo pg's translate to better coaches and harper was a dam good one all I ask of phil is keep rambis away from ny he coached love and I don't think love likes him so if we hire kurt I doubt we sign love in 2015 I don't want m Jackson either his offense scares me how do you have curry and Thompson yet they play so slow

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Jared Dudley>>>>>>Melo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    Is he over that damn stuttering problem? We don't have time for that **** in a 20 sec TO situation. I like these guys as assistants (Harper-Kerr) but not HC's.

Maybe Kurt Rambis....these all Phil boys but they're not Phil.
    WOW, there are better ways to state your feelings without sounding like an ***.

vCash
    Honestly, Harper makes a lot more sense than Kerr. Kerr got torn apart with all the stress as GM in Phoenix, and obviously NYC is a different animal where he will be in the spot light every game. I just don't see Kerr as the fit in NYC. Harper I think could handle the pressure out in NYC much more than Kerr can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast